Recommended cat food..

amber732

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just thought I would put this post up here for any of you that are wondering what food to give to your cat or if you just wanted to try it out. Gourmet cat food is a really good, all my family and friends cats love this cat food. They do it in alot of different flavours and many different types of packaging- e.g: sachets, cans and tins.

Let me know if you have any recommended cat food aswell.

Thanks,

Amber x

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just feed your cat whatever he enjoys eating, and whatever is convenient/reasonable for you. As long as the food is not like toxic for your cat, it should be fine.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yiplong

Just feed your cat whatever he enjoys eating, and whatever is convenient/reasonable for you. As long as the food is not like toxic for your cat, it should be fine.
Actually I disagree with this statement. I believe you should try to get your cat to eat the best quality that you can afford. Obviously if you cannot get your cat to eat a better quality of food after trying various tactics, then yes, let him/her eat what they prefer. I also think it is worth working at to get them to eat wet food.

All dry food is not good for cats prone to UTI's or crystals so even though the food may not be toxic, it can often not be good for your kitty.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by yiplong

IMHO that is a WRONG statement...

all cats are different and TOXICITY is a hard one to figure ... ie allergies that can be jard to figure or a cat with a slightly hyperthyroid ... YOU should be careful with what you feed you and the four legged ones...

prime example : My two dogs one needs COOKED meat and the other needs RAW ... this is from TESTING the two

AFFCO put on seals for BARE minimums for all micro and macro nutrients this does not = HEALTHY only what will not cause macro deficiency

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go with Royal Canin (Charlie had UTI and is on RC for Urinary). If he wasn't I'd probably mix in the Natural Balance foods. They get a variety of canned in Natural Balance, Nutro Max Cat and some Iams.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i got some RC the other day, to try out, because the one i got had lysine added [i have a herpes cat among my bunch]. fortunately, she liked it
so i'll keep using it until/unless i can no longer afford it. the wet lovers get either chicken soup or authority, depending on where i can get to when i need wet!
the ferals get authority dry & 9 lives wet - they eat a lot & that's the best i can afford to feed them.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey I'm curious does the food with Lysine say how much Lysine it contains? I'm wondering because I have a cat who my vet thinks likely has herpes, but I have read that when foods contain supplements (like Glucosamine for example) it is often a very tiny amount and not really enough to be beneficial. My vet recommended giving my kitty 1000 mg of Lysine a day (500mg 2x) but he doesn't always want to eat the Lysine-laced food...

Some of the canned foods I've used for my cats are:
Wellness (they only like the chicken and turkey flavors)
Innova
Merrick
Solid Gold
Evangers (big hit with all the cats)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Hey I'm curious does the food with Lysine say how much Lysine it contains? I'm wondering because I have a cat who my vet thinks likely has herpes, but I have read that when foods contain supplements (like Glucosamine for example) it is often a very tiny amount and not really enough to be beneficial. My vet recommended giving my kitty 1000 mg of Lysine a day (500mg 2x) but he doesn't always want to eat the Lysine-laced food...

Some of the canned foods I've used for my cats are:
Wellness (they only like the chicken and turkey flavors)
Innova
Merrick
Solid Gold
Evangers (big hit with all the cats)
Likely not enough for a cat NEEDING it ... kinda like glucosmine in dog food and cat food ... the doses are fine to MAINTAIN a healthy animal but one with issues will likely need more

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I go with Royal Canin (Charlie had UTI and is on RC for Urinary). If he wasn't I'd probably mix in the Natural Balance foods. They get a variety of canned in Natural Balance, Nutro Max Cat and some Iams.
Royal Canin - The vet put one of mine on the Royal Canin - Uninary SO in gel,- but I am troubled with the ingredients ... I also was feeding Natural Balance, & Wellness - but buying fish flavors - which seems to have started him forming the struvite uroliths, thus urinary problems. Vet said magnesium is the problem, and fish have a lot of magnesium ??
The ingredients in the canned food is as follows:
WATER, MEAT BY-PRODUCTS, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCTS, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), NATURAL FLAVORS, TRACE MINERALS (SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, CALCIUM SULFATE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, ZINC SULFATE), GUAR GUM, CARRAGEENAN, CAROB GUM, TAURINE, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE [VITAMIN B6], FOLIC ACID), DL-METHIONINE.
------------------
Then, for a little roughage to help produce his stools - I use the Royal Canin Urinary SO 30 ...
but these ingredients -grains- are also a little troubling, along with the "meal" ??
Ingredients:
CHICKEN MEAL, RICE, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, GROUND CORN, CHICKEN FAT, NATURAL FLAVORS, CELLULOSE POWDER, SODIUM CHLORIDE, DRIED BREWERS YEAST, DRIED EGG POWDER, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CALCIUM SULFATE, MONOSODIUM PHOSPHATE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, CALCIUM CARBONATE, TAURINE, DL-METHIONINE, VITAMINS [DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL (SOURCE OF VITAMIN E), NIACIN, BIOTIN, RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), THIAMINE MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN A ACETATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, FOLIC ACID], TRACE MINERALS [ZINC OXIDE, FERROUS SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, SODIUM SELENITE, CALCIUM IODATE], PRESERVED WITH NATURAL MIXED TOCOPHEROLS, ROSEMARY EXTRACT, AND CITRIC ACID.
<><>
Guess, these ingredients are formulated as a "prescription" against urinary problems.

I feel like I'm stuck with this food after feeding foods with "pure" meat, now I'm feeding him stuff I've been avoiding - by-products ?, meal?, corn? ... eeeegobs! Yet, do I have other options?