I just want to pull my hair out!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom was not able to keep up with checkbook when she was sick. She tried, but just was too weak. Now, it is up to me to try and balance from the end of January.

I have the statements, but they have more transactions then I'm used to. There are some amounts missing and she does it differently than I do.

I am trying, but I feel like pulling my hair out because I'm so far behind I don't know how to get it balanced. I don't know how she did it.

I don't know what I'll do if I can't get it to balance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Is there someone that can help you? I hope everything works out.
My dad failed accounting...so it is just me. I think the bank can help for a fee, but I'm stubborn.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how it is where you are, but here you can have the bank to balance your account for you.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask the bank if they could help you. We would help customers out time to time. If the person made a habit of it, then we mentioned the fee. Sometimes they put a time limit on it before they charge.

Sometimes it's best to start fresh and not try to mess with it. Your mom might not have logged everything and even a banker can't balance that.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Ask the bank if they could help you. We would help customers out time to time. If the person made a habit of it, then we mentioned the fee. Sometimes they put a time limit on it before they charge.

Sometimes it's best to start fresh and not try to mess with it. Your mom might not have logged everything and even a banker can't balance that.
That's true. She did what she could and none of this is HER fault. I do mine different and she knew what needed to be put in. Hers was always hard to balance, but she could get it down to the penny. I'm having a hard time because I don't do it her way and it's hard to follow.

I may have to start new, but don't know how and if that is even acceptable since I don't know what the balance is. I will ask the bank if I can't get through it by the weekend. I won't give up until I've beaten it into the ground.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

That's true. She did what she could and none of this is HER fault. I do mine different and she knew what needed to be put in. Hers was always hard to balance, but she could get it down to the penny. I'm having a hard time because I don't do it her way and it's hard to follow.

I may have to start new, but don't know how and if that is even acceptable since I don't know what the balance is. I will ask the bank if I can't get through it by the weekend. I won't give up until I've beaten it into the ground.
I hear ya. When one of my clients lost her husband, I worked on their book for 3 hours. I so wanted to figure it all out but both were using the ATM like crazy that month.

Just let the checks clear/automatic payments and go with that balance. Check last months to see what might come out automatically.

Mom does he differently too. I don't balance our book. I only leave $ for bills in the checking account.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that you should ask the bank for assistance. They may be able to get you back to a balanced statement. A good bank will help you to balance the account. There are a number of grown children who have to take over finances without knowing the way that their parents balanced the checkbook.

Good luck.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you're having so much trouble with the checking account. My mother is a fanatic about hers, and balances it to the penny every month. That being said, I'm a little more relaxed about it.....I remember the last time I balanced mine. It was September of 1994. Now that I use my debit card for all of my purchases (checks are only used when I have to pay by mail), I doubt I'd even know where to begin.

Good luck. It might just be easier to have the bank help you, or even close that account and start a new one.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surely, under the circumstances, someone at the bank will sit down with you and help figure it out. Just ask... most likely somebody there will be very glad to be able to help you at a time like this.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Surely, under the circumstances, someone at the bank will sit down with you and help figure it out. Just ask... most likely somebody there will be very glad to be able to help you at a time like this.
I'm sure they will with a fee of $20 per hour.