Paypal Plug-in

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone signed up for the Paypal Plug-in feature? This is where you can use Paypal to shop on-line, even where Paypal isn't normally accepted. I'd kind of like to try it. I have Paypal debit directly out of my checking account on e-Bay, because I only want to spend what I know I can cover with cash. I don't want to rack up a credit card debt. Does anyone know if this can be done with the Paypal plug-in feature? There's been some places I'd shop on-line, if I knew I could pay out of my checking account, instead of putting it on a credit card.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
don't know anything about a plug-in
i use my Visa check card for online ordering when there's no PayPal... do you not have a debit card w/either a Visa or Mastercard logo? those can be used online just like a credit card...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Ever since someone hacked my Pay Pal account in February, I'm kind of leary about Pay Pal.
Hmmmm...yeah, I remember you posting about that. Maybe I don't want to go there. I'd certainly hate for someone to get into my checking account. I imagine it would be even less secure than a credit card. Thanks for the reminder!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

don't know anything about a plug-in
i use my Visa check card for online ordering when there's no PayPal... do you not have a debit card w/either a Visa or Mastercard logo? those can be used online just like a credit card...
Yes, I have a debit card with a Visa logo. I guess it didn't dawn on me that I could use it like a credit card. Some things I'm smart about, but others....geesh!!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My business debit card has the MasterCard logo and I use for on-line purchasing.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

My business debit card has the MasterCard logo and I use for on-line purchasing.
Debit cards do not have the same protection as a credit card, check the small print. The time frame for getting money back if there is a problem is limited and the covered amount is not as much. Check out the link below, I just read about this in our newspaper last week.

Debit card article

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

Debit cards do not have the same protection as a credit card, check the small print.
Also, did you know that if your PIN number is based on things like birthday, phone number, social insurance number etc, that you aren't covered for theft or fraud if someone manages to access your account using said card? Yep... I was reading some stuff from my bank and happened to notice that little tid bit.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about signing up with PayPal myself. I don't buy much online at all, but now and then I order some Feliway or some jewelry elements I can't find locally. Pretty soon I'll need a bumpersticker for my Presidential candidate, too. So what's the consensus: is it safer to just use your debit card directly, or to go through PayPal?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just signed up with PayPal for my TCS subscription. I'm still very leery & probably won't use it much at all.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use PayPal all the time, and have not had any trouble. I'm much happier giving selected information to one outfit that has a good track record, and routing payments through that, than giving credit card info to everybody and his dog. To be sure, nothing can be totally secure, but I think this limits the risks, while providing a fair bit of flexibility.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer to use Google Checkout for purchases. I feel that they are very secure, especially after having worked for Google in the security area and being involved in the audit and seeing the lengths they go to to ensure your information is kept safe.