oh, no! something's wrong!

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cuddles, the 17 year old i took in, is displaying something odd today. i took the old girl out for a bit of sunshine in the backyard on a leash..she was enjoying herself and i noticed something i've never noticed in the last month or so i've had her..if anyone knows what this is/could be, i'd really appreciate it.
one eye the pupil was small like when they get in the sunshine..the other completely dilated...i have brought her in and am watching her and neither are still the same. is something wrong with one of her eyes?
help, please!...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just thought i'd also add that she was barely observed before she came to my home...someone came in for food/water/litter change only every few days..and if there was an eye infection that wasn't treated, it's very likely it was missed.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a human that tends to indicate a neurological disorder, can include stroke, etc.

Vet visit called for ASAP.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

You need to call a Vet.
they won't tell me if it's serious or not over the phone, i'll have to schedule an appt...we are broke at the moment but we could use a credit card for emergency...only my OH has it (i don't have credit) and he's at work.
so, does anyone have any idea if it's serious? (as in run to the emergency vet or can wait to schedule once my OH gets home and we can plan)

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so have her eyes changed yet? i would be inclined to think one eye was just more in the sun that the other and narrowed. can you take a flashlight and see if the eyes respond more uniformly? obviously a vet visit will hopefully clear up any concerns, but it couldn't hurt while you're waiting.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jimmylegs

so have her eyes changed yet? i would be inclined to think one eye was just more in the sun that the other and narrowed. can you take a flashlight and see if the eyes respond more uniformly? obviously a vet visit will hopefully clear up any concerns, but it couldn't hurt while you're waiting.
i'l try that now...also, would i be able to tell if she had a stroke? as in symptoms? she seems her normal self..but her normal self has always been a little "slow" if you know what i mean (parents were most likely inbreeding strays)

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
k, so checked on her and looked normal at a glance but if you look closer the right pupil was a bit bigger and the coloring a darker green (very slight). i'm trying the flashlight thing and the right pupil isn't reacting. i wonder if she had a stroke awhile ago and no one ever noticed because of how much she was neglected and seperated from the rest of the house.
i feel so awful i haven't noticed this before.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't beat yourself up - this wasn't observed before, and you love her enough to be paying close enough attention to notice it now. I would suggest getting a vet appointment ASAP though - could you call the vet back and give them a list of her symptoms? That might help figure out the urgency of the scheduling, assuming all her other behaviors are normal. I'm guessing you should get in tomorrow, though, if you can.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Don't beat yourself up - this wasn't observed before, and you love her enough to be paying close enough attention to notice it now. I would suggest getting a vet appointment ASAP though - could you call the vet back and give them a list of her symptoms? That might help figure out the urgency of the scheduling, assuming all her other behaviors are normal. I'm guessing you should get in tomorrow, though, if you can.
i know i've only had her over a month but i still feel bad. maybe it was fate i decided to take her outside today since the sun was shining...i'm thinking if this has been going on awhile there may be some permanent damage *cries*

gonna talk to OH straight away about when we can get her in...refinancing our house right now and things are a bit hectic and tight...which is usually when something like this comes up.. *sigh...*

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Vibes for Cuddles

How`s she doing today?
she's fine, her normal self, thanx for asking.
i'm a little upset which is why i haven't updated. i talked to "the previous owner" (aka..my mother!) and she said that happened four years ago and no one thought to bring her to the vet. my mom is "not mentally well" and i could have almost lashed out at her but it really would have been pointless. i wanted to cry and scream at the same time.
poor cuddles. who knows how long she had to endure discomfort when it initially happened. she is probably "accustomed to it now", whatever the cause is.
i am still taking her to a vet..but i guess it can wait till i get paid again..seeing as it happened so long ago, i'm sure whatever damage was done is most likely permanent...and she doesn't seem to mind.
so hard to deal with a person you would usually give a piece of your mind that is your own flesh and blood. i am very frustrated and sad for cuddles' last few years' quality of life.
think me and her will take a walk in the sunshine today to cheer us both up.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She may be partially blind in that eye, or have some other neurological damage. It's good to hear that it's not a new thing. Have you noticed anything about the way she walks, jumps, or anything else?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad she will be ok. I wish your mom had taken her to the Vet then. i had to leave Smokey behind when I moved here. My Brother calls and tells me she is very Sick. we were going to come and take her to the Er Vet. He calls again and says she is dead. I was so mad at him for not telling me sooner she was sick. I had only lived here less then 2 months when it happened.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While pupils not reacting can be a sign of stroke, strokes and that type of neurological disorder aren't generally painful, I don't think. So don't think that Cuddles is in any pain, even if she does have a neurological disorder of some kind.

I hope it all goes well when you get her to the vet!