Introducing a new cat...

brian45211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I've had my 2 year old male since he was a kitten, and he's always had run of the house and my full attention. I got him fixed as soon as he was old enough and he's always been a wonderful cat. We decided to get a new female last week. She's already been fixed, and is apparently 2 years old, cept she seems much younger to me. My question is, what's the best way to get these 2 to get along? So far, he won't let her around him at all. He will whine,growl,hiss and snap at her, and my wife if the new female is around. We've kept them in seperate rooms and have slowly been letting them try to meet a few times a day. I let him smell and play with her toys so he gets used to her smell, etc. He seems to be getting a "little" better as I can have them both on the bed at the same time, as long as she is NOT moving. If she moves, he will usually hiss at her and start to whine. She pays him no mind. So is this normal for now? Will it just take some time? Anything else I can do to help them out? Any help would be appreciated

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time will make most of the difference - a few wks anyhow, but also don't 'punish' him for being territorial or macho (unless of course he actually hurts her). Continue to treat him like the man of the place without encouraging him to be a bully. Don't change his feeding place, but see if you can give her a higher up place some way away from him, and she'll feel safer (it's worked with my two guys and one lady).

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
be glad both cats aren't taking it badly! it sounds like he's already coming around okay, but you can continue to make it easier on him. you might get some feliway (spray or plugin) which produces sythetic 'friendly cat' pheromones. this tends to chill everybody out a little. all my cats acted like this as each new one was introduced. once it sinks in, i bet he will be happy to have a new pal around. but all cats have their own timeframe, so you may have to be patient!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brian45211

Hello, I've had my 2 year old male since he was a kitten, and he's always had run of the house and my full attention. I got him fixed as soon as he was old enough and he's always been a wonderful cat. We decided to get a new female last week. She's already been fixed, and is apparently 2 years old, cept she seems much younger to me. My question is, what's the best way to get these 2 to get along? So far, he won't let her around him at all. He will whine,growl,hiss and snap at her, and my wife if the new female is around. We've kept them in seperate rooms and have slowly been letting them try to meet a few times a day. I let him smell and play with her toys so he gets used to her smell, etc. He seems to be getting a "little" better as I can have them both on the bed at the same time, as long as she is NOT moving. If she moves, he will usually hiss at her and start to whine. She pays him no mind. So is this normal for now? Will it just take some time? Anything else I can do to help them out? Any help would be appreciated
OMG, you are describing my cats perfectly as far as to sex and age and who was there first, the difference being my male cat wanted very much to get along with the new female who stayed under the bed and hissed violently at him when he approached her. I just started carrying Persi the male into what ever Alley the female was hiding and finally after about a week of this she started at least coming into the same room with him. Finally, after about two weeks the hissing was all over with and in another week or so they were the best of friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brian45211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the replies. He (Jackson) seems to be getting better every day. We have had them both eating treats within a couple feet of each other, had them on the bed together, and they are able to be in the same room together, however, he will not take his eyes off her, and does do alot of whining when she gets closer. He has not really took a bite at her yet. For some reason, if she takes off into the other room, he will chase her like he's dying to know where she's going and hiss at her as soon as she turns back around.

He's alot bigger than her, and is a very strong kitty. He's a maine coon so he's got some weight on him and can do some damage when his claws comes out. Thankfully this hasen't happend yet. He's also very spoiled and very protective of me. He's alot like a dog, as the female is more of a "cat", imo. She will hiss back at him sometimes when he gets really loud, or sneaks up behind her, but most of the time she ignores him. Sometimes he seems to be "scared" of her. If she gets going a little to fast twords him, he will back up pretty quick. He's very alert when she's around. He doesn't like anyone else touching him if she's close by, unless it's me. Is it possible that he's actually scared of her?

My male is my pride and joy and my best friend. I love him with all my heart and always try to let him know that he is "top kitty". I think he knows it and wants her to know it also. Sometimes he will start to play with me when shes around, and keeps looking at her to see if she's watching. Alot of times he will prance around her with his head held real high, and his beard sticking out lol.

They both have their own spaces now and I allow them to switch places and explore each others spots. She doesn't really care, however my male will sniff her stuff for quite a long time.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I certainly hope they become best friends. I'm sure he will enjoy a playmate. I've always been his playtoy, now he can chew on her, instead of me
He loves to chew and rabbit kick the holy crap out of my arm