*****KatKwiz! - April 2 - 1st secret word winner!*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations to yesterday's KatKwery winner Marianjela, the secret word was summer. BTW, there IS no correct answer to any of the KatKwery queries, just something to discuss and hopefully use the secret word.

After yesterday, let's make sure we have this down pat. When it is midnight 0000 GMT, What time is it in Sydney, Australia?__________And, what time should you have your Time Zone: setting for in your Date & Time Options(GMT______) if you live in Sydney

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Congratulations to yesterday's KatKwery winner Marianjela, the secret word was summer.

After yesterday, let's make sure we have this down pat. When it is midnight 0000 GMT, What time is it in Sydney, Australia?__________And, what time should you have your Time Zone: setting for in your Date & Time Options(GMT______) if you live in Sydney
At 0000 GMT, it would be 11:00 AM in Sydney, Australia. Therefore, you would have to set your date and time setting to GMT + 11:00 if you live in Sydney.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

At 0000 GMT, it would be 11:00 AM in Sydney, Australia. Therefore, you would have to set your date and time setting to GMT + 11:00 if you live in Sydney.
Guess nobody wants to challenge you. Actually, if you have this set for +10 and automatically detect DST it will work the same way. So, I am going to send you 1000 points followed by 1000 points.

KatKwery
What comes to mind when you think of Australia? And if you live in Australia, what do you think comes to mind in other people's minds?

I want to go first today because I have lived a large portion of my life in Buenos Aires, Argentina. So I have lived down under for a large portion of my life. So, it is NOT down under.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Beaches, koala, kangaroo. Dingos. Steve Irwin the crocodile hunter.
I definitely want to visit the great Aussie Outback someday!

swooshfinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think of great white sharks, Great Barrier reef, digeridoos, the hole in the ozone layer, aboriginees and boomerangs!

I used to have a boomerang as a kid, just a cheap little wooden one that I got in Wisconsin one year on vacation. Was pretty good at throwing it, probably not good enough to kill anything with it, but it was fun!

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Foster's beer.
Shiraz.
Australian rules football.
Joe Hachem (2005 World Series of Poker main event winner).
Crocodile Dundee.
AC/DC
Ummm....Outback Steakhouse?!?

My apologies to Australian members who find this list to be way too stereotypical!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh... Becky beat me
I was going to say kangaroos

Hmmmm... let me think what else...

I always wanted to go to the Land Down Under!

I went to a rodeo/cattle show/baking contest/fun event in Harrisburg a few years back. What a blast! But anyway, there was an Aussie there that was selling Austrailian hats. Leather, sheepskin, oilskin... I ended up spending over $100 on this crazy thing, I think I bought it just to her the guy talk.

:swoon:

Hubby only ever put it on to model it...
It hangs on my basement wall behind DH's bar... $100 well spent I guess - wall art!

G'day Mate!

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That Kookaburra pops in my head too....
Kookaburra sits on the old gum tree
Merry merry king of the bush is he
Laugh Kookaburra, laugh Kookaburra
Gay your life must be

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, there's always the Koala... eucalyptus... or Tasmanian Devil? I have a vase full of this in my bathroom. Sure is a pungent aroma! I hear it keeps the fleas away... must work cuz we dont have any

My aunt (and Godmother) collects Koalas - not the living breathing kind - but you know... she has them strewn all over her house. She's addicted.

Me, myself... I'd rather have a few Aussie Blokes strewn around
Just some eye candy for this sheila

One day I'll take a vacation to that smallest continent. Or is it --> largest island???

As an ex-Aussie (not indigenous, right?) do you have any recommendations? Tasmania? Melbourne? Brisbane? The architectural masterpiece, The Sydney Opera House? Any beaches???

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if it's cat related... there's always Tea tree oil extracted from the Melaleuca tree, which is endemic to Australia.

...although, I've read that some cats have actually been poisoned by this neurotically... so I wouldnt recommend it. Although I use it in our shampoo occasionally!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Well, if it's cat related... there's always Tea tree oil extracted from the Melaleuca tree, which is endemic to Australia.

...although, I've read that some cats have actually been poisoned by this neurotically... so I wouldnt recommend it. Although I use it in our shampoo occasionally!
Well, I can pretty well bet that Melaleuca is not the word of the day! (I really don't know, that is safely guarded by DW). Honest.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wanted to try a Vegemite sandwich. Which brings to my mind the song I Come From A Land Down Under by Men At Work.
Isn't Vegemite sort of like apple butter?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I've always wanted to try a Vegemite sandwich. Which brings to my mind the song I Come From A Land Down Under by Men At Work.
Isn't Vegemite sort of like apple butter?
Oh yeah, I have all the Men at Work tapes but the problem anymore is the new cars don't have tape players in them. What the heck are you supposed to do, throw hundreds of tapes away? How about Midnight Oil, and of course INXS and AC/DC. These tapes are just sitting in a cupboard gathering dust. They do this stuff on purpose, phase things out so you have to buy new stuff. They say CDs will be gone from cars in two years, replaced by MP3 players. You have got me ranting, just mentioning Men at Work and who knows, it may be the secret word?

swooshfinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I could go for some eucalyptus flavored candy right about now.

I think platypus are neat!

So are wombats and the other marsupials!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Vegemite is a savory sandwich spread, made from yeast.
i've always wanted to visit Australia &/or NZ... probably never will, tho.
first things i think of - dingoes, kangaroos, wombats, koalas, Qantas Airlines, the Sydney Opera House, the Great Barrier Reef & the duckbilled platypus.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I think of Austrailia I think of the ocean, sand, surfing, bikinis, hot guys, large crocadiles, snakes, and pretty much anything else thats scary! Did I mention Im scared of the Ocean?? I think Koala's are cute, but I always worry that a kangarroo would kick my butt while I was playing golf! Did anyone else watch After the Attack?? That kangaroo showed him who's boss!! I would like the hot weather but I think it rains there alot!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

One day I'll take a vacation to that smallest continent. Or is it --> largest island???
I can tell you that on Jeopardy last night, one of the answers was that the largest island in the world is Greenland.

So how does this work? We keep guessing words until we get it?

Most people have already guessed most words I would associate with Australia. Maybe Quantas? Or Joey?