Unpleasant cat hygiene issue

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, brand spankin' new member here. My cat is called Oscar (he says hello
), and he has an unpleasant problem. If you're eating your lunch, I'd recommend steering clear of this one for now!
After he's been to the loo, he's not cleaning properly. He's otherwise very clean, appetite good, active not lethargic, no vomiting or diarrhea, no obvious signs of parasites. He gets wormed every three months or so. He's only got short hair too, so I know he doesn't need a trim.
I set up a post on another site, and some answers came back that he might have a parasite, which has freaked me out a bit! All because he has a bit of a crusty backside? It is only a little bit, but I do have to wipe quite firmly to remove it.
His diet consists of Felix Ocean Selection of an evening and Go Cat biscuit in the morning with a fresh supply of water. I just wanted to include the brands just in case someone else's moggy has had problems with them.
Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah the UK. I do pay a little more for his food, but perhaps not enough!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure the degree of yuck stuck to Oscar's bottom but Frankie seems to always have some crusties on her backside. I leave them alone because in the grand scheme of things it's hardly any and I don't want to stress her out by trying to get them off myself. When I say hardly any I mean the equivalent of maybe 2 grains of rice.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope he's not like my cat Nabu. Nabu sometimes has a softer poo, and has a bit of mess on his bottom. And doesn't clean it.
He will carry on about his normal business and possibly get it on me or the hubby.
We check him right away if he's had a soft poo, and use a baby wipe to clean him if needed.

Is your kitty sensitive to an ingredient? I ask because I can always tell when Nabu has had too much slices in gravy...he gets soft poo or diarrhea from it.
So I just make sure he only has one meal with that ingredient in it. Too much wheat gluten is what does it for Nabu.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clumsy kitty

Yeah the UK. I do pay a little more for his food, but perhaps not enough!
I buy the Hi-Life wet food for my 3. Their smaller tins and a bit more expensive, but none of it goes to waste and they don't smell half as much when they've paid a visit to the litterbox, plus theres more fish and meat in them than other brands. And the kibble i buy are Purina One, again more expensive, but better quality than the Go Cat

I wouldn't rub your cats bottom firmly either. Just get a moist cloth and gently wipe it

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You also mentioned worming them every 3 months or so? Is this what is recommended by your vet? Worming meds are a form of poison and I personally wouldn't worm unless necessary.

When wiping their bottoms, use a moist napkin/towelette and be very gentle.

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It recommends deworming your cat every 3 months on the back of the pack. It's not a tablet, it's just a drop on the back on his neck and I do keep a close eye on him to make sure he's not having a lick

As for 'quantity' of mess - it's only a few tiny tiny (think grass seed size) bits - and they are definitely 'waste', they're not wormy things. He just seems to have a bit of a 'cling on' issue - it is dry, so it's not like he's leaving marks everywhere, but I'm not fussed on having a dirty backside on my nice clean rug!!
I've not been able to afford Purina stuff as of late, but I do want the best for him and should be coming into some brass on Monday, so hopefully I'll be able to get some high quality food and get rid of this problem.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? Is he overweight at all? I'm just wondering if there's some other reason he's not cleaning himself well (ie, can't reach, arthritis, etc).

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It recommends deworming your cat every 3 months on the back of the pack. It's not a tablet, it's just a drop on the back on his neck and I do keep a close eye on him to make sure he's not having a lick

As for 'quantity' of mess - it's only a few tiny tiny (think grass seed size) bits - and they are definitely 'waste', they're not wormy things. He just seems to have a bit of a 'cling on' issue - it is dry, so it's not like he's leaving marks everywhere, but I'm not fussed on having a dirty backside on my nice clean rug!!
I've not been able to afford Purina stuff as of late, but I do want the best for him and should be coming into some brass on Monday, so hopefully I'll be able to get some high quality food and get rid of this problem.
What your using (the drops on the back of the neck) sound more like flee/tick treatment like frontline or advantage and NOT de-wormer. As for the stuff on his back side... sound like Frankie... she hasn't had a perfectly clean rump in years but I never bothered with it. She's not allowed on the counters or tables and she's a pretty stressed out cat as it is that I don't want to chase her around to clean for her.

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It IS dewormer, I'm positive

I wish I could say he doesn't go on the table or worktops, but he does! I actively discourage such behaviour, I give him 'time outs' when he goes up on the work top. He knows it's wrong, but in a house with only two rooms downstairs, it's not really an option locking him out of the kitchen! And the tables are low so he just jumps up.
It seems to be better today - I've given it a good mop yesterday and the day before, he was pretty annoyed but maybe he's got the hint? Maybe it's too soon to tell yet!

As for how old he is, he's about 2 years old, very fit and spritely - the only physical problem he does have is that his back legs seem very stiff at times, he has to stretch them in his walk even if he's only been sat down for a second. But that doesn't stop him jumping round. He does clean there, but it just seems not enough!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He may not know how to groom his backside properly. I've got a few kitties like that.
Regular butt cleanings are my solution, every AM I get out the "Kitty Butt Wash Rag"!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I'm going to jump in here and bravely say that very few cats would have what we humans would consider a "perfectly clean" bottom. They're just not built that way. If you're talking about a few brown bits, I'd say give it up and don't worry about it. Trying to clean them off will only make your life miserable and annoy the cat. If they're white, like grains of rice, you're talking about tapeworm segments.

Don't force me to take photos of cat bottoms to prove my point!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please be very careful about using over-the-counter medications. While some are just plain ineffective, others have been known to kill or harm our cats.

I strongly believe medications for our beloved animals should come from a certified vet.

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to realise that over the counter remedies perhaps aren't the best - most people discourage using them so I think I'll heed that warning. Ozzy's booked in for the vets tomorrow, he's gonna get his shots and I've got a few little concerns, I'll ask about the bum issue lol! It has improved, there arent any crusty bits anymore, but it still isn't clean. I had a little look - goodness me I sound like a weirdo! - at my mum and dad's cats, they have 5! A few of them had similar problems to Oscar...I think one of these replies is bang on - cats just aren't as bothered about having a less than spotless starfish as we people!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm starting to realise that over the counter remedies perhaps aren't the best - most people discourage using them so I think I'll heed that warning. Ozzy's booked in for the vets tomorrow
Excellent!
You really are better off getting things like this from your vet, plus a yearly checkup gives you peace of mind as well

cats just aren't as bothered about having a less than spotless starfish as we people!
It's ages since i've heard that expression

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rosiemac, I love your picture - Rosie looks like she's smiling for the camera! Gorgeous. I can't wait to get my own avatar on here and show my little moggy off

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I took Oscar to the vet. She said there's nothing wrong with him, he's just 'mucky' (so I assume it's worse than most cats she's seen!). Quite disappointed cos it's really upsetting me having to chase him round with a cloth and moving the cushions whenever he's on the couch. She's recommended Hills food - anyone tried it? I've got a big bag of it, it cost me £14
but if it gives him a clean botty it's totally worth it.
Vet said he was healthy. She said he's probably had some worms as most cats do, so she gave him a worming tablet. She also diagnosed a cleft palate, an overbite, a muffled heartbeat, crossed eyes and that he was 'thick' but not fat, but not to let him get any bigger. I thought he was tiny!

She said he was probably an inbred!!! I kid you not!
But apart from all these slightly amusing things, he's fine. We just need to annually check his ticker cos it could turn into a murmer.