Older Cats taking on behaviors of younger cat

melanie&nathan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a pair of kittens a couple of years ago after one of my boys Nathan passed away. His brother Skye is now 12. I have noticed that over the last several months Skye is starting to behave like one of the kittens (I know, they aren't kittens any more- but to me they will be for a long time). Desmond- the boy of the set likes to lick me, and sit on my lap while I'm in the bathroom. Skye had never done this in all the years we have been together. Over the last few months, Skye is starting to do it too now. He licks me at random times & tries to sit on my lap while I'm in the bathroom. He does it very awkwardly, but he tries. Have you all seen this happen in your cats?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I have!! They are always observing each other, whether we realize it or not!! My Anna watched her mom Boo open the door the other day and later that evening she did it too!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They definitely will do that to appear like helpless babies who need lots of food and love!

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where do you think the term "copycat" comes from?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Haha, Oliver has learned things from watching my dog! He is SUCH a begger now! And we notice that he's ALWAYS watching her... she's 14 now so she just sleeps a lot but she'll be sprawled out on the floor or in the yard and he sits and just watches lol.... she's always begged at meal time (not obnoxiously, but she always sits and drools lol) and now he's right beside her at dinner time! Even if he doesnt like what we're eating! They're smart little things haha

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Haha, Oliver has learned things from watching my dog! He is SUCH a begger now! And we notice that he's ALWAYS watching her... she's 14 now so she just sleeps a lot but she'll be sprawled out on the floor or in the yard and he sits and just watches lol.... she's always begged at meal time (not obnoxiously, but she always sits and drools lol) and now he's right beside her at dinner time! Even if he doesnt like what we're eating! They're smart little things haha
That's funny because my 5-yr old dog has picked up habits from my 10-yr old cat. She has learned to use her paws to open doors and swat at things. She also holds her stuffed animal toys in her mouth with her front paws and rabbit kicks it with her back.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tee -- my boy "kitten" picked up some behavior from my beau's older male cat when he came to visit -- and it is RIDICULOUS. Arc, the older cat, does this very odd thing when he's feeling playful where he turns himself sideways and arches his back up like a Halloween cat and then, there's no other way to describe it, hops up and down on his tip toes. It is completely absurd, and I have NEVER seen a cat do anything like it.

Well, Arc came and visited for a week, and we all noticed that the boy kitty, Imriel, was doing the arch-and-hop thing now too! It's adorably ridiculous.

We like to joke that Arc is like his uncle or cool cousin or something.
More like a cousin, perhaps, because our little girl kitty flirts with him outrageously, which is also adorable to watch. (Likes to walk up in front of him and then do big kitty stretches, and bump into him every time she walks past... so cute!)

helen863

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My parents cat, jess and jasper, are the same age and have been together forever, but recently jess has started copying jasper. Jasper loves getting his tummy tickled, whilst jess hates it. Jess has started copying jasper, pretending she likes it coz of how much attention jasper gets and she is jealous. You can totally tell she doesnt actually like it. Its really funny.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosie_863

My parents cat, jess and jasper, are the same age and have been together forever, but recently jess has started copying jasper. Jasper loves getting his tummy tickled, whilst jess hates it. Jess has started copying jasper, pretending she likes it coz of how much attention jasper gets and she is jealous. You can totally tell she doesnt actually like it. Its really funny.
Wow, that is adorable!

Poor kitty -- tolerating tummy rubbing because she thinks she has to to get love! They can be silly little critters sometimes...