Feline pine and box?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey!
I've been thinking about trying out feline pine in pellet form...since I LOVE the feline pine scooping, but the "dust" is getting EVERYWHERE and it's driving me batty.
So a couple questions:
Is there really a difference between the name brand and the store brand pellets???
The sifting boxes: are the non feline pine brands worth it?
Any other suggestions or things I should know (knowing I've only ever used clumping litter in the past)?

Thanks guys!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I confused. I've used FP pellets for years and one of the things I like about it that there is no dust.

Do you mean that when you pour the pellets out that a cloud of dust is left hanging in the air or are you referring to the sawdust that gets produced when the pellets break up and might get tracked outside the box when the kitties jump out? If it is the latter, I highly recommend the sifting type of box. You shake the box and the sawdust falls to the bottom.

See : http://felinepinelitterbox.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the Feline Pine Scoopable is essentially sawdust (it's what I'm using now), which is light and fluffy and gets everywhere...which is why I'm thinking about switching to the pellets, but I want to be prepared before I start making the switch.

Are the Feline Pine boxes superior? I'm having a hard time finding them, but not the more generic types of sifting boxes.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

the Feline Pine Scoopable is essentially sawdust (it's what I'm using now), which is light and fluffy and gets everywhere...which is why I'm thinking about switching to the pellets, but I want to be prepared before I start making the switch.

Are the Feline Pine boxes superior? I'm having a hard time finding them, but not the more generic types of sifting boxes.
Oh! Excuse me. I misread your post. I thought you said you were currently using the pellets.

I don't believe you can find the FP sifting boxes in stores. I think you have to order them online. I don't recommend the sifting type you can find in the stores. They aren't meant to be used with FP pellets and all the ones I've seen would not work properly with the pellets.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no problem! Thanks for the info on the boxes, I think I'll try it out in my normal box to start and then if I and the cats like the stuff splurge on a real sifting box (shipping will be expensive to canada).
have you tried different types of pellets? Do you think the "store brands" are as good as feline pine?
Is there anything else I should know (ie: tricks on how to transfer them to the pellets?)

Thanks for your help

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried other pellets. Other TCS members have and have reported no problem with them.

3 of my 4 accepted the pellets right away. My latest addition, Jeta, didn't have a clue what they were for. I followed the directions on the bag for transitioning her to the pellets. You put a thin layer of pellets on the bottom of the box and their current litter on top. As they dig they uncover the pellets and so get accustom to them. Over time you gradually increase the ratio of pellets to old litter until you are using only the pellets. I only gave Jetta about 1 1/2 weeks to transition cuz the combination of pellets and the scooping litter I was using got pretty ucky. She caught on pretty quick. Hopefully yours will too.

Good luck and be sure to post if you have more questions!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks a bunch!
I had an idea from reading one of your previous posts today...wondering if I like these pellets if I could take my litter pan, which I like, and get another outer layer (same box or something it fits in) and put the holes in like you did. Might be the best of both worlds...hummm something to think about at least!
I'll pick up a bag next time I go to petsmart and try the little bit by bit

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Thanks a bunch!
I had an idea from reading one of your previous posts today...wondering if I like these pellets if I could take my litter pan, which I like, and get another outer layer (same box or something it fits in) and put the holes in like you did. Might be the best of both worlds...hummm something to think about at least!
I'll pick up a bag next time I go to petsmart and try the little bit by bit
Sounds like a plan! Good luck!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Hubby and I love the FP Pellets. Our cats, however, do not like the sharp feel of the pellets on their little paws. That is something that you might want to be prepared for.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yup! Totally prepared for a big time failure here...but I figure it's worth a shot, because I do not like Worlds best cat litter and the other alternative is to go back to clay (which even when clean smells like dirty cat litter to me). thanks for the heads up though

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use both the FP scoop and the FP pellets, so maybe my experience will help you somewhat...

With the scooping kind, the best thing to cut back on the dust that I've found is to use an enclosed box, scoop the litter into the box instead of pouring it, and get a good litter mat (or two)...I like the petmate mats they are more "soft" verses the outdoor mat type litter mats. There's not much you can do about the dust on the cats however.

With the pellets, yes, the sifting box is definately worth it. If you are just trying them out, you can use a regular box, and then hand sift the dust out using a scoop, etc. The only problem I have with the sifting boxes is that they are low-sided and not very large. My cats use them fine, but if you have a very large cat, he/she might have trouble using it... Also, because of the low sides, they kick out pellets...so now I've got FP dust AND pellets on my floor. Some on here make their own sifting boxes using large rubbermaid storage containers but I haven't tried that yet.

Art

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks art
That is very valuable.
The problem I have with the scoopable isn't so much that it's "dusty" in the conventional sense, but rather that the sawdust tracks everywhere. I have a litter mat...and have tried other types of mats...it just tracks more than I can keep up with (my whole apartment is carpet).

So I'll give the pellets a try! I'm still thinking I might buy a second of the same litter pan I already have and put the holes in the bottom. Chester IS a large cat (15lbs and healthy weight) and dynah likes to kick the litter out, so I'd like to keep my jumbo covered pan. I figure if I can't get a hold of the same box again, I can probably find something of the likes.
Doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to make my own, and I'd have the best of both worlds.

Gotta accommodate that bootay after all! lol!