Sleeping too close to your cats & diseases?

ninababy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! So this is a kind of a weird question, but my kitty Snow sleeps on my pillow or REALLY close to my face at night (as I mentioned in another post). But what I'm wondering is, is that hazarous to my health? or her health? She's a fairly healthy indoor cat, and I groom her and she does a good job of grooming herself. But she is longhaired.. I don't personally have any allegeries and am healthy, but I'm wondering if it is possible acquire allegeries from being in TOO CLOSE contact.. (as in my face being buried in Snow's fur since she practically sleeps on my face night after night?). Additionally, is it sanitary for her (and her feet/rear etc..) to be so close to my face? Are there any diseases that I could pick up.. or give to her my being that close? I feel like I'm breathing in shedded fur.. is that healthy?? It might seem like I'm paranoid, which I really am not,
but I am curious because I would rather prevent any possibilities of diseases or unsanitary conditions..

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wally fequently sleeps on my pillow, and close to my face.
I haven't experienced any problems in our eight years of doing this.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard of people who get allergic to animals because they sleep with them but it's always a self diagnosis and hearsay. I don't personally know of anyone who has. Kayden and I share a pillow and I haven't had any problems.

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As unpleasant as it is waking up to the "business end" of Pan in my face morning after morning, I have suffered no ill effects. My dog just passed away and she slept in close proximity to my face for almost five years with no problem....I wouldn't worry too much about it!

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Eliot'sMom

As unpleasant as it is waking up to the "business end" of Pan in my face morning after morning, I have suffered no ill effects.
Oh gosh, Luke likes to rest near me sometimes, and I know exactly what you mean. Yuck!!

... but it doesn't change the fact that he's an angel. =)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose if you were a pregnant woman, toxoplasmosis could be a concern, but I have a theory that being exposed to germs actually makes a healthier more robust immune system.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

I suppose if you were a pregnant woman, toxoplasmosis could be a concern, but I have a theory that being exposed to germs actually makes a healthier more robust immune system.
I agree completely! I wouldn't worry.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started out with having a kitty sleep ON my face when I was four. Haven;t stopped in over four decades. so far I have never be ill from it. We some people may think I am mentally ill, just because the cats sleep on the bed, LOL.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm pinned down like Gulliver by 3 cats and one kitten. The kitten sleeps near my neck. The worst health issue is not getting to sleep because of the loud purring. Also maybe a sore back because I can't move once I get into the bed. I can't even get the covers up before the 3 adults pile on and render my legs trapped.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

absolutely! we don't do sterile in this house! as in constant handwashing when touching the animals (what is that all about?) and wiping the work surfaces with antibacterial stuff clogging up our lungs and the atmosphere. the cats and dogs sleep on the beds too. no illness here!

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tab

absolutely! we don't do sterile in this house! as in constant handwashing when touching the animals (what is that all about?) and wiping the work surfaces with antibacterial stuff clogging up our lungs and the atmosphere. the cats and dogs sleep on the beds too. no illness here!
You do want to be careful when handling animal. It is good practice to wash hands after petting the cat, especially if you will also pick up food using the same hand. Frequently cleaning the bed/chair of cat hair will also help keep the area clean. But the best way to ensure hygiene and health is to keep your cat indoor and be up to date with all vaccination and regular vet visit.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I agree wholeheartedly. Bijou sleeps with me. He starts out pretty much laying against my face on the pillow and then moves down to put his head on my pillow facing me with his paws around my neck. He breathes directly into my face and often has his face or chin on my face.

When you've had a cat for awhile, anything they might have your body has built up antibodies for anyway. As for washing after petting, I don't unless I'm about to prepare food in which case I will wash before starting the food prep. I also wipe down the counters as I'm pretty sure Bijou is up on them during the day even if I can't prove it.

I believe in being sanitary but not to the point where our immune system could be compromised if we are too sanitary to fight off infections that may come along and our bodies have not built up any resistance.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have been exposed to her for this long and haven't been sick, it's safe to say you already have antibodies to anything she might carry.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Totally true- that's why people who are allergic to cats, in many cases, aren't allergic to their own cats; such as my boyfriend, who was severely (asthma-inducing!) allergic to cats. It developed in recent years, and had never been allergic to any degree before. After several years of it, it seemed to be a little better around friend's cats. I convinced him to let me adopt Albus (as a foster, at first) and he has never had a reaction to him. He usually still gets some reaction to other people's cats, but never to Albus.

I wash my hands between petting the cat and dog and preparing food or eating something I'll be touching with my hands. I clean off surfaces I'll be preparing food on or eating on, but other than that, they already live in my house, so I can't worry too much about the germs.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauraG

The worst health issue is not getting to sleep because of the loud purring.
i find purring sleep-inducing... i always have more difficulty falling asleep when i'm away from my cats!
Firefox gave me her skin infection last summer... but it eventually went away. [with treatment for both of us!]

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

Some interesting reading for anyone with a slim regard for bacteria and viruses.
I scanned the article - nothing too serious or cause for worry IMO. Normal precautions such as having hubby do the litter during pregnancy, common-sense hand-washing and cleaning should pretty much take care of things. I also noticed the grammer wasn't particularly good in the article so would wonder who wrote it and if they were legit.

As my doctor said to me when I first became pregnant, folks should stop the old wives tales' and keep their mouths closed instead of scaring new moms-to-be. I think this is true of a lot of things that we are told.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't believe there are any diseases you can catch from your cat. Ask your doctor.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shermie sleeps REALLY near me, with his little head on my head.. I've actually had him drool on me a couple times. Or it coulda been just from his wet nose. haha. I think I am actually allergic to cats, but I've been allergic to the world since I was young, so I'm kinda used to it. And even I don't have a swollen face in the morning, so it's usually no problem! And I agree with the person who said that they have a harder time sleeping away from their cats. I miss the purrs too. =)