Who wants to help me with homework?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So - who wants to help me with homework?

I'm supposed to interview three people about their jobs/careers. Of course I chose a webmaster, photographer, and a video game shop owner.
The thing is, I don't know any webmasters, photographers, or video game dudes. How am I supposed to finish this stupid assignment?

These are the questions I'm supposed to ask:

"1. List specific activities to be performed on the job.
2. What is the job environment? Is the job done indoors or outdoors? In a large office? In a noisy factory?
3. What rewards does the job provide? High salary? Convenient hours? Emotional satisfaction? Pleasant surroundings? Adventure?
4. Why would this job be particularly satisfying to you?
5. How much training is required? Where could you get it?
6. Are there any physical limitations? If so, what are they?
7. What is the approximate starting salary for this job? Mid-career salary?
8. What is the projected outlook for this occupation? Will there be many jobs available when you are ready to enter the job market?
9. What aptitudes, strengths and talents are required?
10. How can you begin today to prepare for this career?
11. What classes do you need to take in high school to pursue this career?
12. Where would you find employment in this job in your community or state?"

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a strange assignment that makes you choose the jobs before the people! But if you want to act like a real researcher you can look people up in the yellow pages/classified sections of the phone book, call them and ask if you can talk to them. Most people would probably say yes if it does not take too much time.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that any business owner will be flattered to be asked!! Would you get extra credit if you get the answers to those same questions from your state's Employment Department's website?? Then you could compare the people's answers with the state's ideas.
I commiserate with how you feel. In 1999, I did address listing for the Census Bureau. I am very shy by nature, and it was easier for me to do Quality Assurance and "vicious dog at home" assignments that to talk to strangers, knowing that I was intruding. The pleasant surprise was that the vast majority of people were glad I came by.
Sending encouragement vibes that you complete the assignment easily and pleasantly

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in case you want to interview an "RN"
I also have my own website, so technically I'm a "Webmaster" and I have created several web sites for other people... but I have no formal training other than being self taught.

I do have a friend who is producer at a large gaming company. I haven't talked to him in a while, but I can send him an email and ask if he has some time to talk to you. I can't promise though. Like I said it's been a while since we've spoken, but I will try.

I am also a member on an art community which has lots of professional photographers. I can ask one if they can talk to you. Also our very own "Mistressofthedark" is a photographer. Try sending her a PM and see if you can interview here.

I tried to send you a PM asking for your email address so that I could pass it along to my friends if they are able to help you, but it seems that you do not have access to PMs because of your age.

Anyway, here are my answers in case you want to use them in place of one of the other careers you chose.

1. List specific activities to be performed on the job.
- Give out medication
- Take blood pressures
- Assess wounds and symptoms
- Admissions and discharges
- Healthcare teaching
- Dressing changes
- Send people to surgery
etc etc etc

2. What is the job environment? Is the job done indoors or outdoors? In a large office? In a noisy factory?
- Hospital setting, indoors.

3. What rewards does the job provide? High salary? Convenient hours? Emotional satisfaction? Pleasant surroundings? Adventure?
- Seeing sick people get better and go home is very rewarding
- Hours suck! Shift work of days/evenings or days/nights or straight evenings or straight nights. There are no straight days for regular Registered Nurses unless you are in a management position.

- The money! An RN makes an excellent living.

- Depends if you want a Diploma or a Degree. A Diploma will take 2 years, a Degree is 4 years. The difference in hourly rates is negligable. An RN with a degree only earns $50.00 per month more than one with a Diploma. But the Diploma nurse is a more experienced nurse because they have more hands on training during their shooling than a nurse who went through a degree program.

- Not sure what you mean. You have to be able bodied because there is a great deal of running around and you need to be able to get around in hospital rooms and be able to "lift" and "transfer" patients. So if you have a cane or need a walker or wheel chair or have some other physical ailment that prevents you from doing those things, then you cannot do the job.

Hmmm. Not sure what
- a veteran RN in Manitoba makes $63,658 a year, while a new nurse makes $53,997.

We just signed a new contract agreement outlines that gives us an increase of 10% over the next 2 years. It also outlines that the salary would be fourth highest in the province by October 2008. And anytime during that 2 years if we fall below 4th, we get an additional increase to make up the difference to bring us back to 4th spot.

8. What is the projected outlook for this occupation? Will there be many jobs available when you are ready to enter the job market?
- We have a current shortage of over 900 nurses in Manitoba. There are lots and lots of positions for people graduating from nursing right now.

- ability to work independently
- empathy
- good math skills
- good assessment skills
- ability to function under stressful conditions
- legible hand writing
- honesty
- patience
- a good memory
- good verbal and written skills
- good communication skills
- ability to think ahead
- knowledge of a large number of diseases and conditions
- knowledge about a wide variety of medications
- oh....and a large bladder because sometimes you are lucky if you get a "pee" break!

- Depends where you are in life. If still in high school, take the highest courses offered for English, Biology, Chemistry and Math.
- If you have been out of school for a while and going in as a mature student like I did, take "Anatomy and Physiology" and "Intro to Psychology" before going to nursing school. It will lighten your course load considerably because those 2 courses are very intense. I took "A&P" during spring intersession and went to nursing school that fall. During nursing school I was also taking "intro pysch". I couldn't imagine trying to do "A&P" on top of that, and I wished I had taken psych earlier too.

English, Biology, Chemistry and Math.

- In hopsitals, clinics, community health, schools, and nursing homes. Plus some companies have Occupational Health Departments.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad you didn't choose a welder as one of the occupations...I would have been happy to answer questions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Too bad you didn't choose a welder as one of the occupations...I would have been happy to answer questions.
Hey - you can still answer
! I'd love to weld a sword one day

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Well, in case you want to interview an "RN"
I also have my own website, so technically I'm a "Webmaster" and I have created several web sites for other people... but I have no formal training other than being self taught.

I do have a friend who is producer at a large gaming company. I haven't talked to him in a while, but I can send him an email and ask if he has some time to talk to you. I can't promise though. Like I said it's been a while since we've spoken, but I will try.

I am also a member on an art community which has lots of professional photographers. I can ask one if they can talk to you. Also our very own "Mistressofthedark" is a photographer. Try sending her a PM and see if you can interview here.

I tried to send you a PM asking for your email address so that I could pass it along to my friends if they are able to help you, but it seems that you do not have access to PMs because of your age.

Anyway, here are my answers in case you want to use them in place of one of the other careers you chose.

1. List specific activities to be performed on the job.
- Give out medication
- Take blood pressures
- Assess wounds and symptoms
- Admissions and discharges
- Healthcare teaching
- Dressing changes
- Send people to surgery
etc etc etc

- Hospital setting, indoors.

- Seeing sick people get better and go home is very rewarding
- Hours suck! Shift work of days/evenings or days/nights or straight evenings or straight nights. There are no straight days for regular Registered Nurses unless you are in a management position.

- The money! An RN makes an excellent living.

- Depends if you want a Diploma or a Degree. A Diploma will take 2 years, a Degree is 4 years. The difference in hourly rates is negligable. An RN with a degree only earns $50.00 per month more than one with a Diploma. But the Diploma nurse is a more experienced nurse because they have more hands on training during their shooling than a nurse who went through a degree program.

- Not sure what you mean. You have to be able bodied because there is a great deal of running around and you need to be able to get around in hospital rooms and be able to "lift" and "transfer" patients. So if you have a cane or need a walker or wheel chair or have some other physical ailment that prevents you from doing those things, then you cannot do the job.

Hmmm. Not sure what
- a veteran RN in Manitoba makes $63,658 a year, while a new nurse makes $53,997.

We just signed a new contract agreement outlines that gives us an increase of 10% over the next 2 years. It also outlines that the salary would be fourth highest in the province by October 2008. And anytime during that 2 years if we fall below 4th, we get an additional increase to make up the difference to bring us back to 4th spot.

- We have a current shortage of over 900 nurses in Manitoba. There are lots and lots of positions for people graduating from nursing right now.

- ability to work independently
- empathy
- good math skills
- good assessment skills
- ability to function under stressful conditions
- legible hand writing
- honesty
- patience
- a good memory
- good verbal and written skills
- good communication skills
- ability to think ahead
- knowledge of a large number of diseases and conditions
- knowledge about a wide variety of medications
- oh....and a large bladder because sometimes you are lucky if you get a "pee" break!

- Depends where you are in life. If still in high school, take the highest courses offered for English, Biology, Chemistry and Math.
- If you have been out of school for a while and going in as a mature student like I did, take "Anatomy and Physiology" and "Intro to Psychology" before going to nursing school. It will lighten your course load considerably because those 2 courses are very intense. I took "A&P" during spring intersession and went to nursing school that fall. During nursing school I was also taking "intro pysch". I couldn't imagine trying to do "A&P" on top of that, and I wished I had taken psych earlier too.

English, Biology, Chemistry and Math.

- In hopsitals, clinics, community health, schools, and nursing homes. Plus some companies have Occupational Health Departments.
Hey, thanks a lot! I think I'll use your answers. The health care industry interests me, specifically pharmaceutical work.