A question for gardeners!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the first time since I moved out in 2005 I have a place for a garden and flowers!
I'm so happy and excited about that!

Now the question/problem: I wanted some morning glories because they are so pretty and bloom every day all summer. So I was searching through about 20 different kinds of morning glory seeds and found, what I thought, was the perfect kind! They bloom all summer, every day, and the package said "great for ground cover," and I thought "Well this is perfect for where I want to put them!" Then I went home and planted them in my small indoor green house.

All is well, until my SO comes home and says, "Where are you going to put these 15 foot flowers????"
Me, "What are you talking about....they're "great for ground cover", I'm putting them in front of the house in that little garden area I made."

I look at the package and it says: Great for ground cover 15', not 15"

How can ground cover grow to be 15 FEET!!!!!!

And can I trim morning glories to only 3 feet?

This looks just like the flowers on the package

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Morning Glories are a vine, they'll climb trellises or creep along the ground... You can train them into whatever arrangement you want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Morning Glories are a vine, they'll climb trellises or creep along the ground... You can train them into whatever arrangement you want.
Will they climb up the house on there own? I'd rather that NOT happen.... Although, anything would be an improvement to the house

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think so... unless it's got something to grip to... if it's siding I wouldn't think so... maybe stuco...

Eh, just pull it off if it does... would think it would take the easy route (along the ground)...

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do plant morning glory seeds-a couple of tips. They have a very hard seed coat so you need to nick it with a knife. Then soak the nicked seeds in warm (not hot) water overnight. This will help soften the seed coat so they can germinate faster.

My morning glories usually only grow about 8-9 feet tall.

Any gardening questions feel free to ask me thats my profession!!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least morning glories are annuals so they will not continue to grow but will die off in the winter. So it is not a disaster if they grow more than you want them to.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

At least morning glories are annuals so they will not continue to grow but will die off in the winter. So it is not a disaster if they grow more than you want them to.
Tell that to the morning glories that we never planted but have been trying to take over our back yard for the last 18 years.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Tell that to the morning glories that we never planted but have been trying to take over our back yard for the last 18 years.
We have some portulaca like that - can't kill the stuff!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I was going to say the same thing. We planted some Morning Glories on the south side of our house the summer after we moved in/built it. That was 8 years ago & those buggers have taken over one section of the flowerbeds!

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

True, but ours put down seed like bunnies... We'd have more each year... my mother hated them... I loved them... So we had morning glories, but I had to pick the ones she didn't want come spring.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a "heirloom" variety called Grampa Otts. Very beautiful color flower but reseeds like crazy!! (Just a warning). I've never had any morning glories self seed though.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

I would like to have morning glories but don't want to hassle with starting them indoors. I'm lazy.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Morning glories do best if sowed directly into the ground, they do not like being transplanted. They also need warm soil to germinate, so don't plant to early. They are my favorite, I also like Moon flowers, they are white and bloom at dusk, they vine just like the morning glories.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my neck of the woods Morning Glories don't start blooming untill August sometimes mid August then when the first frost hits them there done for.So I get maybe 4 or 5 weeks of blooming. I Start them The end of May outside directly in the soil after soaking over night. on tepid water they like lean soil and no ferts..