What to do(job related)

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Argghhh....I need some advice,hehe.

Awhile back I applied for a vet(I posted about it here) anyways, they called me this morning asking if I am still needing a job(which I am) but I also have a interview this afternoon for a home health company lol....

2 job offers at once!! Thats never happened to me

I am about 99% sure I have the home health job and the way the vet talked I can have that job if I still want it!!

They both of course have advantages/disadvantages. I just dunno what to do, seriously....

HELP!!!

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would look at who pays more, how far the commute is, and which field you want to progress more in. They would both be great jobs. I've had this happen to me before, and I went with the bigger company because it offers more security. Just look at which would suit you better. Good luck!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... the vet job would probably be in one place, while home health would have you driving a lot. Which is more enjoyable for you?

Both jobs would be physically demanding -- but home health would probably be more emotionally complex, since you'd be interacting with people... and people can talk.

Both jobs have the potential to be very satisfying, but if the vet practices declawing or euthanasia-on-demand, you might find it very painful to participate. (I will not work for a vet because of this issue.)

Due to my father's long involvement with home healthcare, I have the greatest respect for the good work a dedicated person can do in that field. They can make a huge difference for their patients, both through physical assistance and through the warmth of a supportive attitude and personal kindness.

But if you do it right -- and it's morally reprehensible to do anything less for people in these situations -- home healthcare is a very tough job. The lives, health, and emotional well-being of your patients all hang to some degree on your willingness and ability to be there for them, both literally and figuratively.

You have to be a bit of a psychologist to get some patients to cooperate... you have to be patient with the irrational behavior the ill and elderly can be prone to... and whether you especially like an individual patient or not, you have to genuinely care about him or her as a human being in need.

Otherwise, you will just be filling a position -- not giving your patients the kind of care they need and deserve. It's a big commitment of time, energy, and emotion.

So I would think the vet job might be easier in many ways... but if you want a challenge, and if you have the dedication it would take, the home health job might be the more rewarding choice.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Well... the vet job would probably be in one place, while home health would have you driving a lot. Which is more enjoyable for you?

Both jobs would be physically demanding -- but home health would probably be more emotionally complex, since you'd be interacting with people... and people can talk.

Both jobs have the potential to be very satisfying, but if the vet practices declawing or euthanasia-on-demand, you might find it very painful to participate. (I will not work for a vet because of this issue.)

Due to my father's long involvement with home healthcare, I have the greatest respect for the good work a dedicated person can do in that field. They can make a huge difference for their patients, both through physical assistance and through the warmth of a supportive attitude and personal kindness.

But if you do it right -- and it's morally reprehensible to do anything less for people in these situations -- home healthcare is a very tough job. The lives, health, and emotional well-being of your patients all hang to some degree on your willingness and ability to be there for them, both literally and figuratively.

You have to be a bit of a psychologist to get some patients to cooperate... you have to be patient with the irrational behavior the ill and elderly can be prone to... and whether you especially like an individual patient or not, you have to genuinely care about him or her as a human being in need.

Otherwise, you will just be filling a position -- not giving your patients the kind of care they need and deserve. It's a big commitment of time, energy, and emotion.

So I would think the vet job might be easier in many ways... but if you want a challenge, and if you have the dedication it would take, the home health job might be the more rewarding choice.
Wow, Carol. Beautifully said! YOu always give such sage and well thought-out advice. You should be a counselor, if you aren't one already.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Home health care can be both physically and emotionally draining, but I guess working with a vet and being such an animal lover could be as well.
You have gotten some great advice, so I will just send vibes that it will work out the best for you.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Wow, Carol. Beautifully said! YOu always give such sage and well thought-out advice. You should be a counselor, if you aren't one already.
Oh, bless your heart, but -- sheesh, I NEED a counselor!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

Home health care can be both physically and emotionally draining, but I guess working with a vet and being such an animal lover could be as well.
You have gotten some great advice, so I will just send vibes that it will work out the best for you.
Thanks!!
I am going for the interview today for the home health. I really dont think the vet tech is worth the pay they are offering, and the hours are not going to work out with my daycare.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Monica, would the vet offer health insurance? Probably not and I'm with carol about the killings, can't go there! would you be in the office of the home health care place? I bet you would really enjoy it! But let us know what you decide!!! I'm excited for you!! Feels good to be so wanted doesn't it? does the soul and self esteem good!!!! Good luck doll!

Love Ya!
Monique

Oh this is for CarolPetunia...... I told you!!!You are good!!!!!!!!!!!Addiebee
even noticed also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh, bless your heart, but -- sheesh, I NEED a counselor!
but that doesn't mean you can't also be one! i agree, great advice!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Thanks!!
I am going for the interview today for the home health. I really dont think the vet tech is worth the pay they are offering, and the hours are not going to work out with my daycare.
She got the home health care position!!

She starts tomorrow night and she can even take her daughter with her if need be

Way to go Herman!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I was going to advise to go with your heart and what you would enjoy more... Sure makes staying in it for the long-haul and waking up every morning so much easier.

Again, congratulations, Josh has some great visiting nurses that we have actually built a bond with.

Proud of you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin

She got the home health care position!!

She starts tomorrow night and she can even take her daughter with her if need be

Way to go Herman!
Oh Alycia!!
If only ya live closer!!!
That nickname is so not to be public!!!!!