Graham Calvert

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello people. I am reading about Graham Calvert, a 28 years old guy who lost more than $4 million dollars because of gambling addiction. If you want to learn more just google the words "Graham Calvert" and all the news talk about him.
I'm trying to see on the net when his appeal gonna be because I really would like to get updated with his story, however the reason I open this thread is to discuss about his case.

Basically, this 28 years old guy has self-excluded himself from betting over the phone with one of the biggest bookmakers (bookie) in UK. Self exclusion means you can't bet anymore, and you use this option to prevent yourself from going from bad to the worse. This feature is by all means good to stop a person from getting addicted or to stop addicted person with his addiction.
The problem is that even though the bookmaker has self-excluded Graham, he opened another account with them, placed more bets with them and lost more money. He sued the bookmaker about 2 weeks ago and lost the trial, however the judge gave him the right to appeal the case through a very fast procedure (compared to other cases that can take you months to appeal)

I think the common sense needs to let him win the case. The bookmaker failed to self-exclude Graham from betting more over the phone. "Successful punters" are being ejected from bookmakers without the option of having a 2nd account, but in a case the person losing it seems like the bookmaker, as always and not very surprising, cares more about the money than the person himself.

I think people should encourage Graham and the media to "vote" for this guy, his addiction caused the loss but if he tried to get out of it then he did what's needed to be done. Saying "he could do it somewhere else" isn't reflecting what happened, and if the judge thinks he could do it somewhere else then as long as there are no evidences this claim is void.

That's only my opinion but you're more than welcome to share yours.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's time people took responsibility for their own actions and stop suing the world and trying to blame everyone else for their problems.

This guy obviously knows he has a problem so he needs to seeks help. To keep bailing him out is enabling in the same way one enables an alcoholic.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

I think people should encourage Graham and the media to "vote" for this guy, his addiction caused the loss but if he tried to get out of it then he did what's needed to be done. Saying "he could do it somewhere else" isn't reflecting what happened, and if the judge thinks he could do it somewhere else then as long as there are no evidences this claim is void.
I will have to respectively disagree that he did what needed to be done. He needed to either get medical help for his addiction or joined a self help group that understands and can help him. Asking a gambling house not to take his money is a pretty useless deterent to someone with a compulsion or addiction. It may be enough for an average joe but this guy sound like he had real problems.

What he really need to do is be honest with himself, take his own inventory and take responsibility for his own actions.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the exclusion of bettors is a service the gambling house officially offers, and especially if it's a service that is required by law, then the house does have a responsibility to live up to that commitment.

However, if the bettor used subterfuge to open this second account and thwart the exclusion process, then he has to be held responsible for his own losses on that account. We can't expect the gambling house to function as a detective agency and ferret out his true identity.

"Help" with addiction (counseling, etc.) is not 100% effective, and that's one reason why I think we may need some safeguards to help keep people out of trouble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

If the exclusion of bettors is a service the gambling house officially offers, and especially if it's a service that is required by law, then the house does have a responsibility to live up to that commitment.

However, if the bettor used subterfuge to open this second account and thwart the exclusion process, then he has to be held responsible for his own losses on that account.

"Help" with addiction (counseling, etc.) is not 100% effective, and that's one reason why I think we may need some safeguards to help keep people out of trouble.
I agree with you Carol and I'm pretty sure his reason to open a 2nd account was not because he wanted to cheat but because he simply was addicted and the gambling house should have restricted him and not let him bet again.