kitten help please

emsharpe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are looking for a burmese kitten. Have seen some today and although overpriced compared to others they seem perfect. Very healthy and mum is sooooo friendly! But we cant decide between a lilac male and chocolate female. Both kittens are the friendliest of the litter of 8, chocolate is perhaps a little bolder.

I have always been told male cats are better as pets and the only female cat we had (BSH) was not very friendly.

Can anyone tell me which would make a better pet for our family?

TIA

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats hard to decide. My Nicest Cat is Coco and she is a Girl. My Sister has her Son and he is very nice too. Some Females can be moody but it depends on the Cat. My Male we had alot of trouble with and he died in Jan. See what kitten you like better when you go there. Coco is one of the nicest Cats I ever had and so is Oreo. They are both Black and White Girls. Yoshi was Nice too but he died at age 5.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO the males tend to be more outgoing and friendly. The females more reserved and usually 1-2 person cats. There are exceptions of course, but this is based on my experience with both pedigrees and mixed.

I would take a male over a female if given the choice. We have a male and female now - our female is pretty friendly, but she's not a lap cat and she hates new cats coming in.

We are getting another Ocicat next year - male; it will be Charlie's baby brother - so we will have 2 males and a female.

BTW the "cheaper" cats usually are not from good breeders and may have more medical problems in the future.

catwoman_2669

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i rescue cat. males and females and there is no different between them. my females are loving just like the males if not more. it also depends on the cat. the only different i seen is that males are cheaper to neuter then females to spay. just get the cat u like best.

shambles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that gender doesn't have much impact on how loving or suitible to your household the cat will be. I have three cats currently, all are female and their personalities are quite varied (they are 3 different breeds so this is expected) but they are all incredibly affectionate. My Siamese is 'velcro kitty extraordinaire' as well as being fearless, demanding, and completely devoted to me. My Persian loves everyone and lives to be stroked and brushed. She has the most agreeable personality imaginable, and will sit on your lap for hours being petted or talked to. My 18yr old DLH is a flirt, she is all over any man that comes into the house! LOL She will take affection from anyone, but is moody at the same time - she always gets to the point where she has had enough, doesn't matter who is petting her. I've also had many lovely male cats over the years who were equally as affectionate as my girls. I've never focused on getting a male or female when choosing a kitten, I've always went with the one I felt a connection with. I think people put far too much emphasis on gender when it comes to choosing cats, the individual personality is so much more important.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the cat, choose the one you like the best overall not just sex.

My girl is a bit more lap-catty than my boys, but overall they are all the same.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would normally say boy cats are friendlier, but both my boy cats are pretty wild and crazy, sort of like toddlers that have no time for lap-sitting. My girl cats, while not friendly to each other, are pretty lovey-dovey to ME.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have owned 4 cats in my life. Salem lived to be 10 years old she was very shy and reserved and only liked 2 people me and my mom. She seemed to only love us when we had food. lol

Oliver was the only male I have had he died sadly at the age of 2. He was very sweet and outgoing he was a complete lap cat.

Sophie one of my current girls is a lap cat very sweet and friendly she will lay with you for hours. She is probably the sweetest and most outgoing cat I've ever had.

Olive is very sweet and friendly as well but she isn't outgoing. She is pretty timid and will run from sudden movements but she will also lay with you for hours. She seems to have bonded with just one person (me) but given time she will warm up to other people. My mom can pet her but she can't carry her around and hold and cuddle with her like I can.

I think either kitten will be just fine. Whichever one you prefer. Males are less expensive to neuter so that is a positive thing. Good luck on whatever you decide!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does overpriced mean?

One should expect to pay at least the following for papered pedigrees in the US:

Pet Q - $300-800
Show Neuters - Anywhere from $500
Retirees - Same as Pet Q

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My experience is that males, without a doubt, are more outgoing than femalse. Males are such babies! Females are of course lovable to, but males are babies...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emsharpe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for all your replies

The kittens are about $200 dollars more expensive than other litters I have seen advertised in the past. But of course there are no other litters in my area for me to see at the moment.

When we viewed the kittens the choc female immediately went over to my eldest daughter (10) and the lilac male to my middle daughter (6) - hence the problem. Neither girl will give in, we cant afford both so I get to be the one who decides!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes it hard. I am so bad I would end up with both. I will be getting a Pure Bred Sphynx and it will 1200. I will be shown Pics online so it will be easier to choose. When are you going to decide?

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
800 is for the more popular breeds as far as higher limit.
Siberians, Toygers, Savannahs and Sphynx as well as chinchilla and golden persians usually view 800 as the bottom because the breeders are being imported, difficult to breed or a combo of other factors.
Daisy

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emsharpe

When we viewed the kittens the choc female immediately went over to my eldest daughter (10) and the lilac male to my middle daughter (6) - hence the problem. Neither girl will give in, we cant afford both so I get to be the one who decides!
Which kitten went to you? That's the kitten you should bring home since you're going to be doing 90% of the work caring for the baby any way!

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

That makes it hard. I am so bad I would end up with both. I will be getting a Pure Bred Sphynx and it will 1200. I will be shown Pics online so it will be easier to choose. When are you going to decide?
1200 for a show neuter from Dee Dee or perhaps her group is a decent price! Dee dee works with Magikmoon and these breeders are rocking the Sphynx world!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emsharpe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Which kitten went to you? That's the kitten you should bring home since you're going to be doing 90% of the work caring for the baby any way!
Neither of them
, the mum made a beeline for me and wanted me to pet her. The lilac boy went over to my 6 year old and my hubby (who doesnt like cats) and also tried to climb on my toddler's lap too - I am thinking that is a good sign?

The choc girl went over to my 10 year old and was petted for a while and then was the only one of the kittens who went running up and down her cat tree.

4 of them were having a sleep in the corner and the other 3 were friendly but not overly so!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you visit the kittens again and see how they react? I should have asked who the other Sphynx Breeder was? The Guy was there but his Wife coud not be there. He said she was the Breeder. I think it might have been Dee Dee. I got to see their Sphynxs too. Should I go for a certain color or just take what she has?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO if you want a certain color(s) then wait till she has what you want. I could get an Oci kitten now, but I want a cinnamon or cinnamon silver show alter male - so I will wait to get exactly what I want.