Something strange in canned cat food

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just want to start off by saying that I free feed our cats dry food (Eagle Pack) and give them canned food twice a day.
I know that many of you think Nine Lives is the worst canned food on the planet, but I've tried every kind of canned food I could find and Nine Lives is ALL they'll touch...so please, no commentary about how bad Nine Lives is.

Anyway, yesterday I went to the store to get more canned food...I buy the big package with 24 cans in it...they were out, so I just got a 4 pack...Chicken in Gravey.

I just opened one of the cans and it looked like pencil erasers all over the top of the can on top of the chicken..second can the same, third can the same, forth can the same.
I don't eat chicken myself...I'm allergic...but I am aware that the meat close to the bone will have a sort of red color to it.
What I saw MAY have been chicken taken close to the bone, but what threw me was that these "things" were perfectly round...not only did they have the color of erasers, they were shaped like erasers.
When I crushed them between my fingers they didn't feel like chicken...they felt really grainy..frankly, like an eraser.
I'm not saying that's what they were ( can't figure out how erasers would get into cat food), but I honestly don't think it was chicken either.

I called Nine Lives and explained to the Man what I found.
He was very nice and told me that it probably was chicken, but with all that went on last year with the pet food, he wouldn't have fed it to his cats either.
They're going to look into it...I gave him the code off the bottom of the can..and are sending my coupons.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up if you do feed your cats Nine Lives Chicken in Gravey and the cans have the code BC5M13 A2 TSC 0515 with a sell by date of Dec. 13, 08 you may want to check them for strange round red things mixed in with the food.

Like I said, it very well may have been chicken but I wasn't going to take any chances when it comes to my furbabies.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

I called Nine Lives and explained to the Man what I found.
He was very nice and told me that it probably was chicken, but with all that went on last year with the pet food, he wouldn't have fed it to his cats either.
WOW! That should be a red alert right there....coming from DA MAN himself..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you didn't feed it to the cat. I've never given my cats 9-Lives to start, but thanks for the warning.

In another related thing with canned:

We had something on the news last week about not eating canned venison - something was in it (lead?). They didn't mentioned if it was pet related or human related.

So I contacted Natural Balance company asking if their Venison/Green Pea canned was ok or not. They just replied to me that everything is ok - no warnings. So I can feed my V/GP cans now to the cats.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oddly enough, I just checked one of the cans of the 9 Lives that we have, and it has a sell by date of Jan 2010.

Sounds like you may have some old stuff around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought it yesterday, so it does sound like the store has some old stuff sitting around.

The place I usually buy it, is just a little to far to walk...it was kind of nice yesterday so I walked to a store that closer.

Believe me, that's the last time I'll buy cat food there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It never even dawned on me to show it to our Vet, I just knew there was no way I was going to let the furkids eat it.
It's already in the garbage can with the used litter, or I would take it and let the Vet look at it.