*****KatKwiz! - March 31 - Last day!*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lat day of bonus points that is. Tomorrow starts KatKwery! KatKwiz remains, of course!

Whenever I throw something, Persi can run chase it OK, but when I move something in my hand, right in front of his face, he doesn't seem to see it. Find proof of this on The Cat Site and why it is____________.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm.... I found this link explaining how cats see... It says that cats possess binocular vision.

It also says that cats "appear to be slightly nearsighted, which would suggest that their vision is better suited for picking up minute detail in closer objects, such as prey."

So I started wondering if this was limited to Persians only... so I went looking on TCS's Persian Breed site. The only thing I found was this, "The special form of the face may sometimes cause eye drainage problems, which can create a build-up of residue. Owners should clean the eyes of such cats on a daily basis."

I wonder if the binocular vision and Persian face have anything to do with this....

Still thinking....

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm....let me go another way. This link explains play behavior in cats.

I guess maybe because cats are more responsive to stimulative motion and will respond better to moving object such as one that is being thrown.

And I actually found two contradicting statement on whether a cat is farsighted or nearsighted.

This link explains that a cat is far sighted and had difficulty launching a death bite on a prey while this site explains that since a cat is slightly nearsighted, it is easier to pick up minute detail on nearer object.

Baffling eh?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tutti_bella

Hmm....let me go another way. This link explains play behavior in cats.

I guess maybe because cats are more responsive to stimulative motion and will respond better to moving object such as one that is being thrown.
...and I read this link too! Today's quiz really has us looking, huh?!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I'm actually glad she's forced us to look around! I just got done reading the article on cats and their scratching habits... I wrote a whole post to someone who was having this problem yesterday. If I would've known better, I could've just pointed them there.

Oh well... guess that's the purpose of the Kwiz!

Thanks Persi & Alley!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuleNag

Cats are far-sighted.
I'm not sure if you want more....
Find proof of this on The Cat Site and why it is____________.
This would indicate to find more. I need something that directly answers my question.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Find proof of this on The Cat Site and why it is____________.
This would indicate to find more. I need something that directly answers my question.
Oh, ok...I just never know 'cuz I got penalized before for saying too much...
I found my answer here...
http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/4...s-Hunters.html
Which is under the "Cat Behavior" Link at the top of the page.
As cats are far-sighted, it is difficult for them to safely launch a death bite on live prey.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, ok...I just never know 'cuz I got penalized before for saying too much...
I found my answer here...
http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/4...s-Hunters.html
Which is under the "Cat Behavior" Link at the top of the page.
Here is the question:

Whenever I throw something, Persi can run chase it OK, but when I move something in my hand, right in front of his face, he doesn't seem to see it. Find proof of this on The Cat Site and why it is____________.

I should have added the word slowly after right in front of his face
I thought that was implied but judging from the answers I guess it was not.
(Throwing something is fast, moving something in front of his face is slow.)
Here is the answer I was looking for.

As hunters, cats have a good ability to detect motion. They can see movements that are too fast for our eyes, yet find it hard to focus on very slow movement.

Now, tell me exactly where this information is (in italics above) on The Cat Site for 2000 points. I am sorry for any confusion as to the question, I am on strong prescription drugs today.
So from right here we have a race on who can find this first. Not just a link, but exactly where it is. Everybody can answer again. Go!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As hunters, cats have a good ability to detect motion. They can see movements that are too fast for our eyes, yet find it hard to focus on very slow movement.

I found this in the Cat Snips/Feline Senses/ Sight

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I found this in the Cat Snips/Feline Senses/ Sight
Yep, that is it. Most people do not think about looking in Cat Snips. Many answers come from there. The problem is that something like this can be googled. But we know you did not do that.

Tomorrow starts a new phase of this contest. KatKwery begins. The winner tomorrow will start off in the lead for the big super KatKwery Bowl!

Ok, bonus question: How many points can a person win playing KatKwiz and KatKwery between April 1 and the end of November?_______

There is one blank. Give one answer.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Grr! I know I'm wrong.
Shucks...can't change my answer now.
You are right. About being wrong!

Who is going to be the last bonus points winner?

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

You are right. About being wrong!
Woohoo! At least I got something right today!

Now I'm just waiting to see if my second answer would have been right...

You can't answer twice in Kwery, right? I know in Kwiz you can't unless otherwise specified.