My cat and that long hallway

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I let Lucy Belle out into the hallway of our apartment building one day just so she could explore outside her home. It's a long hallway and she's never really step outside the apartment before. Most of the time, when I open the door, she'll just put her head out and look right and left. A couple of times, I saw her talking herself into stepping out a little farther but always turn back at the slightest sound from the elevator.

So, I encouraged her to go out and stood by the open door while she sniff her way out. She took a few steps, look up at me and I told her that there is nothing to be afraid of. She then cautiously proceeded to go a little bit more down the hallway.

But with each step she took, she'll turn around to see if I am still there, standing by the door. She did this until she reach the end of the hallway and turn back. When she saw me, she ran as fast as she could, realizing then how far she had gone!

I kissed her and told her what a brave girl she is! Gave her a treat and now, she get plenty of exercise running up and down that long hallway!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It reminds me of when I was living in an apartment building in Alexandria, Va. There was a lady in another unit on the same floor who let her cat out for a few hours in the hallway. One time I left my door open and the friendly kitty walked right in.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a building with four condo units - two up, two down with an interior hall & stairs connecting the units. While I don't enourage mine go to out at all, sometimes when I'm trying to slither in the barely opened door with groceries, my girl will put her head out just to examine the hallway - she sometimes goes out, maybe two whole feet, very carefully examining each inch of floor as she goes, and will immediately turn tail if she hears a noise.

My boy, however.....brave explorer that he is, will often try to dash by me and sometimes succeeds in gaining the hallway, and then the stairs up to the other condos' landing. And, one lovely morning, at 5:30 am, my upstairs neighbor left his door ajar - I think he was out for a run. So as I'm trying to lure my baby down the stairs with nice gushy smelly food, he decided to go into the other condo and explore!!! Among the worst 5 minutes of my life, as I'm trying to call him while not waking the neighbor's wife and toddler, and hoping they're not calling the police about a prowler.

In the end, they were very kind about the incursion, but I've noticed their door is firmly closed now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing that darlili!

My hallway is dead empty all the time, I guess everyone is either an early riser or night owl. So, basically, in the afternoon, I can play with her in the long hallway without anyone ever noticing. But we do have a cam on the hallway and I am sure the super must be thinking that I am crazy, playing tag and chase with my kitten there. So far, not heard a thing from him but I have to remind myself to behave because there is someone watching!

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its nice that you can let her in the hallway so she can get a run now and again.

Before you know it, she'll be doing happy laps and bouncing off the walls

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tutti_bella

Thanks for sharing that darlili!

My hallway is dead empty all the time, I guess everyone is either an early riser or night owl. So, basically, in the afternoon, I can play with her in the long hallway without anyone ever noticing. But we do have a cam on the hallway and I am sure the super must be thinking that I am crazy, playing tag and chase with my kitten there. So far, not heard a thing from him but I have to remind myself to behave because there is someone watching!
Awww, quality time with your kitty!
I should think that as long as he knows you have a cat, and you aren't disturbing anyone, it should be okay! You can both enjoy time together and exersize together!