Anyone feed only wet food? Couple ?'s

heidiann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just started our 4 cats on all wet food about a month ago.

We started feeding them 1/2 of a 5.5oz can twice a day. They were acting like they were starving all of the time.

So we upped it to 3/4 of a can...they still acted the same.

We're now giving them a full can twice a day.

None of them are overweight, 3 are around 2 yrs old and 1 is a little over 1 yr old. They're all very active and seem really happy and healthy.

We've only been doing the full can for a few days, so I don't know if they will slow down after a while, or if they will always just eat it because it's there. We free fed them dry food before the switch.

I think they're getting too much...what do you think? I don't know how much they weigh...and a couple will walk away when they're done. The youngest one will eat everything in site too, although this morning he walked away, but it may have been the flavor...

I'm probably overthinking it all too.

My other question is...does anyone know of a premium brand that's affordable? We are feeding grocery store brands right now, and sticking with a few flavors...no cuts, no gravies.

We were feeding a natural dry food called By Nature for a few months before we switched. And we were feeding them Wellness canned before we got the 4th cat.

I'd buy a premium brand if I could find one that was affordable. We were going to feed them raw, but I think it would be way too much money and the whole taurine thing makes me nervous. We feed our dogs raw and the cats get a little taste here and there.

I have pet food guilt for feeding the dogs so well and the cats are getting grocery store food...but at least I believe the wet is better than the dry.

Anyway...any advice would be recommended. Thanks in advance.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
you might do better [since you're feeding such a large amount] to get the bigger cans. like these: Innova/EVO cat & kitten food.
i'm not saying that's the best choice, but it was the 1st one i found w/13 ounce size cans - over double the regular 5.5 ounce ones.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd let their weight and build be your guide. They may have higher metabolisms and need more food. My old boy Odo, who tends to have a slow metabolism, just barely gained weight on one can of food. Willow couldn't eat just canned as she wouldn't eat enough to maintain her weight, and Zek is the same way. Every cat is different, but most 5.5 ounce cans suggest that one can per day is appropriate for an 8 pound cat. That said, Odo was about 12 pounds and gained if given more than a can, and Willow was 8 pounds and lost weight if she only ate a can of food (and she wouldn't eat more). Use their bodies and activity levels as a guide.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by heidiann

My other question is...does anyone know of a premium brand that's affordable? We are feeding grocery store brands right now, and sticking with a few flavors...no cuts, no gravies.
Several stores in my general area sell the 5.5 ounce cans of Merrick for $1 or less. I can get it pretty much anywhere for $1.15 max. When you consider that 3 ounce cans of inferior brands like Fancy Feast and Purina Pro Plan sell from 50-70 cents, the Merrick is a fantastic deal.

Authority, PetSmart's house brand, is also pretty good ingredients-wise. I think they charge about 65 cents for a 6 ounce can.

And if I remember correctly, the Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Classics and Natural Choice Complete Care 5.5 ounce cans aren't too much more than the Authority.

To me, in terms of price and quality, those are the best choices. Of course your cats have to actually like the food; otherwise you're just wasting your money.