Online shopping

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of my friends do their grocery shopping online now and it gets delivered the same day. I've just registered with the supermarket that i shop at and i think i'll give it a go tomorrow.

Do they have this facility where you are?.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, because I'm smack in the middle of nowhere.

I think it would be awesome, though, esp. for the elderly people. I take my grandma grocery shopping a lot. It's a pain for us to work out a time.

Does it cost you much more than if you drove to the store?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One local chain has that service here otherwise its not something popular here.

I would probably save lots of money online shopping vs going up and down the aisles buying a bunch of items not on my list!!

But I love to grocery shop!! We have a store that is massive in size and variety of items. One would be hard pressed to go there without a shopping list and a limited time for shopping. (they have over 20 check-out lanes not counting the liquor and photo depts)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Does it cost you much more than if you drove to the store?
I don't drive so i get off the bus from work, then get a taxi home, so it'll work out cheaper, plus i can pick a time slot for them to deliver which would be ideal because by the time i've went around i'm in there a good hour alone.
Originally Posted by GailC

I would probably save lots of money online shopping vs going up and down the aisles buying a bunch of items not on my list!!
I'm doing it now instead of tomorrow, and i must have saved myself at least £20 doing it this way because i'm just buying what i want. I love grocery shopping as well though i must admit

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We would save SO much if we did that! That's actually why my mother went to getting our milk delivered - she would go to the grocery store for milk and end up spending $50 on stuff we didn't need, but that looked good at the time.
But I do like grocery shopping too, except when we're on a really limited budget.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. Nothing here like that.

However a couple years ago I had broken my foot and couldn't get around at all and I had run out of groceries. I didn't want to impose on my brother to go shopping for me, so I called Safeway and explained my situation to the manager. He had someone call me back and take my order over the phone. The girl shopped for me, processed the order and called me for my credit card and air miles card number, and then had the groceries delivered. With the exception of the wrong kind of cat litter being delivered (regular clay and not clumping), everything was ok. I didn't make an issue out of the cat litter because Safeway bent their policy for me and did my shopping for me.

If there was an online service available where I could go through and select items that I want, the same way I do in the store, I would use it in a heart beat! The only thing I wouldn't buy online would be fresh produce and veggies. I like to pick those out for myself. But it would sure be a convenience for canned, boxed and otherwise packaged items.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably Schwann's delivers out here, they're just about everywhere.

It is tempting since I don't like having to deal with the after work crowd or the weekend crowd at the grocers...I just don't like that it costs more...

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love grocery shopping so I don't really need it although the stores here, even the smaller neighborhood ones do have limited delivery service. The larger ones, Super Stop and Shop for instance deliver your groceries for only 3 bucks!

I just came back from Target and they had a 90% Off After Easter Sale. I love shopping too much to have someone else do it for me. LOL!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Nothing like that here either however I would love it, I am not overly fond of grocery shopping.
I don't think we have that either...it would be nice though

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have that here, but I've never used it. I like going to the store and picking up the stuff myself. I'd feel much too lazy if I had someone else do it for me.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have that here either, but I'm not sure if I would use it if we did? I love grocery shopping

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, we have it in the Toronto area and surrounding 'burbs. I tried it a few times and it was good - they deliver right to the door and the fellow would bring the boxes right into the kitchen for you if you wished. The only part I didn't like was that there are certain brands of items that I prefer and I wasn't always able to get those brands from this service.

It certainly does save money though because as others have said, you don't buy unnecessary things. I'm not particularly fond of grocery shopping but find if I go after work on my way home, I'm hungry and will often buy things I shouldn't have.

Our daughter doesn't like housework very much and since I don't mind, she does my grocery shopping for me as an alternate way of helping out. I love it!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have that service around here yet, though there's a frozen food delivery service that works in a similar fashion.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used a service called Homeruns ten years ago in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It was great since we didn't have a car, and hauling groceries and a baby over those uneven brick sidewalks and hills was no picnic!

There's a store here, too, called Thrifty's Foods (it's a misnomer) that I haven't tried yet since we have a car. It would be a good option to have if we're all sick with the flu or something.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think any of the chains do it here, but there is one supermarket that offers online shopping with delivery, and it happens to be my favourite shop, as well. I haven't actually used the online ordering, because I really enjoy grocery shopping, but they do everything else so well, that I'm inclined to think that would be successful, too.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 of the local food stores have this service. I used it once shortly after my knee surgery. The delivery person was so sweet. She even brought a bowl of food outside to feed my ferals since I still couldn't make it down the back staircase.

The only thing I didn't like was the limited choice. For example: they had donuts in the choices, but only plain donuts. Sugar or chocolate glazed donuts weren't offered.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I could be tempted to use it for canned or packet goods where I could select the brand that I wanted. Then, there would be no difference between them doing that for me and me going along to pick it off the shelves for myself.

But for fruit, veggies and any other fresh stuff that I bought I would want to be able to select that for myself.

So I suppose in terms of convenience and cost it wouldn't really make a great difference to us.

In addition to that, hubby is retired and enjoys doing the shopping and there's nothing quite like browsing around to see if something new and unusual has arrived in store.

If we only want a couple of things, the greatest limiter for us in terms of what we buy is that the supermarket is a 10 minute walk from our house. If we walk there, we are limited by what we can carry back

I can see definite advantages though for those who don't have a car or can't get out and about easily. How did your shopping experience go Susan? Did it work out ok?