I am so mad right now

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so mad right now, I can hardly think straight.

Brody was sick last week, we carried him to the doctor and he had an ear infection in both ears. We were precribed an antibiotic to take for 10 days. We just found out that we had been giving Brody twice the dose that he was supposed to be getting. The doctor perscribed 1/2 teaspoon twice a day for 10 days, the perscription said to give him 1 full teaspoon twice a day.

Thank goodness it was not nothing that could have hurt Brody, the doctor said that the extra dose would not hurt him, but it could have made him have diarirra worse.

But would if it was something for pain or something with a narcotic in it, we could have hurt him, but all we were doing was following the directions.

Anyways I am extremely ticked right now.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why it's extremely important to listen to what your doctor tells you during the visit, read the prescription and then read the label on the prescription bottle. Pharamacists are human and given to human error, especially when trying to decipher a doctor's hand writing. I can't count the number of times a pharamacist asked me what the prescription said because they were having a hard time making it out.

I would however call the pharmacy, or go there in person with the bottle, and talk to the pharmacist about the mistake so that they can look into how it occured and maybe put into place an extra safety check for themselves.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes to what Linda said -- the pharmacy needs to know that happened. It could have been MUCH worse.

Hope Brody's better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

That's why it's extremely important to listen to what your doctor tells you during the visit, read the prescription and then read the label on the prescription bottle. Pharamacists are human and given to human error, especially when trying to decipher a doctor's hand writing. I can't count the number of times a pharamacist asked me what the prescription said because they were having a hard time making it out.

I would however call the pharmacy, or go there in person with the bottle, and talk to the pharmacist about the mistake so that they can look into how it occured and maybe put into place an extra safety check for themselves.
The pharmacy has already been called and been made aware of the error, I think my daughter is also gonna contact someone higher up in the company.

Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Oh wow, I would be furious! Just like you said, what if it had been something like a sedative or pain medication! I'm glad its all ok though!
Thank you, and I am still mad about it.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Yes to what Linda said -- the pharmacy needs to know that happened. It could have been MUCH worse.

Hope Brody's better.
Brody is doing much better now, he has just had a tough time lately.