How to stop a crying kitten when separated

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so my new aby kitten is finally home and she's being kept in a room by herself until I at least get vet clearance to let her out. She has been fighting an URI after her spay but she's almost done with the meds so I'm hoping she can come out soon. She's driving me nuts! Anytime I leave the room she cries for 15-30 minutes LOUDLY non-stop. She eventually settles down but I guess these first few days it's to be expected.

Is there anything I can do to help her? I visit her often and she has everything she could ever want in this room (except companionship). Last night I warmed a microwave pad and kept it in her bed which I could tell really helped, but unless she's tired out it doesn't help most of the time since aby's are so active. I guess this is just a transition stage but I thought I'd see if anyone had any tricks to help.

Oh BTW, I turned the tv on in this room to a station with light music but I don't think she liked it. She kept looking up at it and crying so I turned it back off. There is a ticking clock in the room by her bed to mimick another cat's heartbeat, but she still wants out badly!
Any ideas?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think music is a great idea. Dim the lights, give her stuff to do, feed her some extra smelly wet food so she fills up and falls asleep. Is it all the time that she is in there crying or just when you are trying to go to sleep?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I think music is a great idea. Dim the lights, give her stuff to do, feed her some extra smelly wet food so she fills up and falls asleep. Is it all the time that she is in there crying or just when you are trying to go to sleep?
It's always for the first 15-30 minutes after I leave the room, no matter what time of day. I can't be in the room 24/7 like she wants me too. I think it's just separation anxiety as she's used to a house with 10 other cats and 2 dogs. Eventually she'll be able to join my cat and dog but not until she's cleared by the vet first. Hopefully he'll have good news for me this morning and she can come out to play. I know it's best to keep her in this room so she has a safe territory in the house, but she's just really wanting company with her at all times.

She has plenty of toys in the room, plus lots of food and water. However, she's SO active that she really doesn't get tired even after she eats a tummy full. I can tell it's a companionship need because even when I'm in there playing with her, she will chase a toy and as soon as it stops rolling or whatever she'll come running back to me for head butts. She's SO lovey and just needs a lot of attention right now. However, I want to give her time to adjust to being alone as well. Poor little thing.

Has anyone tried a stuff animal or something to mimick another animal? I'm wondering if that would help at all. Of course the stuffed animal doesn't move and breath so it probably wouldn't work either. Just thinking out loud...

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of toys, food, water...anything to keep her busy. I've also found that sometimes wrapping a hot water bottle in a fuzzy blanket for them to snuggle with will trick them into not being so lonely. Gus was the same way when we brought him home.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

Has anyone tried a stuff animal or something to mimick another animal? I'm wondering if that would help at all. Of course the stuffed animal doesn't move and breath so it probably wouldn't work either. Just thinking out loud...
i did, for Firefox when she was brand new. i think it might've helped her some - the bed was awfully big for such a teeny kitten.
but she was quite a bit smaller than your new one!