sasha1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...angh/sash5.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...angh/sash4.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...20080329_7.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...20080329_4.jpg

As you can see, she resembles a lion with her mane. Shes a great cat and a love keeping her (despite all her shedding, puking, scratching through the floor at 3 in the morning, and keeping me up all night asking for food).
i would love to know the cross of this cat ,
let me know what you think!!!
hassan

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. You have a beautiful cat there!!!! I know everyone is going to tell you that without papers, she is considered an American Longhair... and nothing more. For some reason, having a mixed cat is not like having a mixed breed dog. None-the-less.... I guess it doesnt really matter... she is very beautiful. I love her eyes!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sasha1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes i checked out some pictures of american longhair, and thats probably what it is (maine coon maybe)
she is great!! i couldnt imagine living without her
thanks for ur help

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She does look Maine Coon-ish... or even Siberian-ish... but again... vets will only classify her as American Long-hair... sometimes it makes no sense... My dog is not a purebred, but my vet classifies him as a Newfoundland-mix.

Who knows. Maybe because it is easier to distinguish between mixed dog breeds.

Either way, we love them to death huh?!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

She's a very pretty DMH/DLH.
I think she may be a DLH, but can't see enough of her tail.

Could have some Maine Coon in her somewhere. She's a very pretty girl

Originally Posted by Marianjela

My dog is not a purebred, but my vet classifies him as a Newfoundland-mix.
The key word being mix, without papers you can only take a guess at what breeds are in there. Seems to be easier to tell what dog breeds could be mixed in.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dog is not a purebred, but my vet classifies him as a Newfoundland-mix.

Originally Posted by missymotus

The key word being mix, without papers you can only take a guess at what breeds are in there. Seems to be easier to tell what dog breeds could be mixed in.
Actually I know that he is a Newfoundland mix. His mother was a purebred with papers that wasnt properly taken care of. Her owner lived on a farm and the mother was tied to a doghouse. When she came into heat along came the dad.

So the only part we are unsure of is the father's lineage. Although... we suspect Lab as he has lab characteristics. None of that matters of course... but I was just making a point.

Chewbacca is the best dog ever, and I've owned a purebred Newf. I wouldnt trade him for the world - mix or not.

You're right - it is easier (sometimes) to tell what a dog is mixed with... which was my point... cats are way harder to tell.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing American Bobtail, Maine Coon, or Norwegian Forest in the background. The last picture reminds me of an American Bobtail body/coat

Very pretty brown mackeral tabby.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Who knows. Maybe because it is easier to distinguish between mixed dog breeds.
This is one factor, another one is that people tend to know what breeds they mix when they mix dog breeds meaning the puppy buyers will be told what mix they're dealing with.

When it comes to cats it's often hard to tell what breeds you have in a cat. Sure, you'll see if one parent is a Persian but many cat breeds are so "un-extreme" in their features that they don't leave any strong signs in mixed offspring.

In cats you also have the situation that it hasn't been bred for a very long time. A lot of cats actuarally aren't purebred, they're not mixed bred either... they're domestics. Cats have bred naturally for centurys and that's still very common in cats. Purebreeding has been done for... 100, maybe 200 years so purebred cats are a minority in the cat world.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason why cats are not called mixes is because most do not have purebred in them at all, they are born out of the domestic population not from pedigreeds. With dogs they usually do have at least one purebred parent or even both parents are but of different breeds. This is why cats are classified as domestic short or longhair.

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cat doesn't have the features for a Siberian. What part of the US are you from?
Daisy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sasha1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my friend got her from a shelter in canada. it doesnt really matter to me what kind of breed she is, as long as she lives a healthy life

i swear as a college student we dont do many things right
, but getting this cat was easily the best decision ive ever made. she makes my life so much easier even after all the carpets shes destroyed

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'm guessing American Bobtail, Maine Coon, or Norwegian Forest in the background. The last picture reminds me of an American Bobtail body/coat

Very pretty brown mackeral tabby.
I will agree. The face just makes me feel like she has something just a tiny bit more than DLH. Maybe a grandparent who was mixed?