Now what should I do with the mouse?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really, what should I do with the mouse Butzie brought in? She brought him home live mouse into my bedroom, of course. That was about 9 am. She corned that mouse by my computer. The mouse ran here and there and wound up under the file cabinet with my printer on it. I kept trying to get that mouse out so Butzie could give me the meal of which I am not capable of hunting for myself.
We had to leave at 11 to go to the A's game. We came back at 4:30. Butzie was in my bathroom and had trapped the mouse beside the toilet. Same mouse, nothing missing and no bleeding. I tell her to get that mousey.
Anyway, the mouse winds up, still healthy, under a floor fan. Butzie makes an occasional paw swipe. I am starting to feel sorry for this cute mouse. So, I put some of my birdie's food on the floor under the fan for the mouse. The mouse is munching contently, the cat wanted to be petted and is now snoozing, and the birds wonder what the heck is going on?
So, should I let Butzie kill the mouse, let the mouse out or something other than me feeding a mouse with birdseed in my bedroom?
Really, I need advice now!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, Rosemary - feeding the little mousie! YOu're such a softie! If there is anyway to get the mouse w/o being bitten, I would catch it and let it go to live another day.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes, Butzie is the executioner but you are the judge!
Because it has happened to me more than once, you can do what I do.
If you want the mouse to live, you will have to catch it yourself and release it somewhere (if the mouse is not yet dying from shock)
If you feel that nature should take its course, then let Butzie decide the mouse's fate.
IMO because the mouse lasted this long and able to eat the birdseed, it sounds like Butzie and the mouse are friends.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have pet mice, but put traps out for wild mice. They still freak me out because they're so wild. I had one once get in with my mice. I tried to catch it in a cardboard tube, but it jumped all around the tank like lightning. I ended up taking the tank outside, took the lid off & letting it go. It ran into the nextdoor neigbours with one of our dogs chasing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, now Butzie has let the mousie to go behind my dresser. Ya know, it is a lot heavier to move the dresser than file cabinet on wheels!

I have named the mouse. It is Timothy J. Mouse from Dumbo, my daughter's favorite movie.

I am such a softie that I might as well have sucker tatooed on my forehead. That would join, OK, cut me off!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would catch the mouse and take it several blocks away and release it in a field.

I would not keep it in the house! Mice carry all kinds of diseases, one of them being the Hanta Virus, which is deadly. Now I'm not saying that your mouse has it, but better to be safe than sorry.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our son saw the mouse. I picked it up and went to put it outside. It bit me but it only broke the skin once. Should I be worried? Butzie is asleep.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i would it if was me. those are dirty nasty disease fillled little germbags.

im a germaphobe if it makes you feel better

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wash thoroughly, put on some antibiotic... don't close up the puncture... see a doc if it gets infected, etc....

Good on you for saving the little mousie...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You weren't supposed to catch the mouse with your bare hands!!

I would have let it outside as well.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Yikes, Butzie is the executioner but you are the judge!
Because it has happened to me more than once, you can do what I do.
If you want the mouse to live, you will have to catch it yourself and release it somewhere (if the mouse is not yet dying from shock)
If you feel that nature should take its course, then let Butzie decide the mouse's fate.
IMO because the mouse lasted this long and able to eat the birdseed, it sounds like Butzie and the mouse are friends.
I couldnt have said it better!

We have a friend that has an indoor/outdoor cat. It was a neighborhood stray that she eventually adopted. Anyway, one day we were over and a bunch of us were sitting/laying on the floor playing a board game, when the cat walked over my legs. I noticed something hanging out of it's mouth but thought it was a toy. To my horror it was a mouse! Eeeeeek!!!! We didnt feed it

You're much braver than I was!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Our son saw the mouse. I picked it up and went to put it outside. It bit me but it only broke the skin once. Should I be worried? Butzie is asleep.
Oh my!!!! Hope you are okay! Such the provider that Butzie is

Now that it bit you - I'd throw it on the Bar-B since that's what Butzie intended

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

You weren't supposed to catch the mouse with your bare hands!!

I would have let it outside as well.
You'd have thought I would have put on those Playtex gloves at least.

Originally Posted by Forensic

Wash thoroughly, put on some antibiotic... don't close up the puncture... see a doc if it gets infected, etc....

Good on you for saving the little mousie...
I washed my hands with antibacterial soap, put Betadine on the hands, antibiotic cream and a gauze band aid on the little puncture. Then I put my husband's socks on my hands. Do you know how hard it is to take your contacts out with socks on your hands?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Butzie found the same mouse. She brought it in, this time mostly dead. She is finishing it off now. I can't watch. So much for being a softie and setting it free. Farewell, Timothy J. Mouse!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Butzie found the same mouse. She brought it in, this time mostly dead. She is finishing it off now. I can't watch. So much for being a softie and setting it free. Farewell, Timothy J. Mouse!
how do you know it's the same mouse? don't they all look alike?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

how do you know it's the same mouse? don't they all look alike?
I know it might not be the same one, but still...

She just now threw the mostly dead mouse into the open door of one of my bird cages (bird not in). Well, Butzie gets a whole in one.

Going to clean the bird cage now.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
as a mouse breeder i would have suggested if i had read this earlier just getting a book or something and heriding it into a corner hold the mouse by the tail mid section then taking it a few blocks away and relesing it...
if the mouse isnt already dead plz take it off butzie as it will carry fleas mites and deseases you dont want him getting

if its alive just take it off him and depending on how severe the injuries are break its neck if its not too bad and just a little bloodied up put him a few blocks down