WBCL vs rising corn prices

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, from everything that I hear lately, the only way that corn prices are going to go are up, up, and up. I am guessing that WBCL will be affected by the rising corn prices. When prices go up, what will you do?

1. switch to a different type of litter? if so, what litter is you 2nd choice?
2. keep using WBCL even though it is more expensive?
3. use a different corn based litter?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

ok, from everything that I hear lately, the only way that corn prices are going to go are up, up, and up. I am guessing that WBCL will be affected by the rising corn prices. When prices go up, what will you do?

1. switch to a different type of litter? if so, what litter is you 2nd choice?
2. keep using WBCL even though it is more expensive?
3. use a different corn based litter?
It will depend on how much it goes up. Because it lasts so long, it already is cheaper for me than any other litter, so I imagine it will still be cheaper or the same price which is fine with me.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

It will depend on how much it goes up. Because it lasts so long, it already is cheaper for me than any other litter, so I imagine it will still be cheaper or the same price which is fine with me.

My plan is to stick with it - it's nice not to have litter dust all over everything.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's nice not to have litter dust, but the smell is GROSS! I have to clean it out more often than the Fresh Step litter. I notice Smudgey has light coloured dust all over her paws when she steps out the WBCL which I never notice from the Fresh Step - even though the FS seemed much more dusty.

Our search for the perfect litter continues. I'm not happy with the WBCL at all.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

It's nice not to have litter dust, but the smell is GROSS! I have to clean it out more often than the Fresh Step litter. I notice Smudgey has light coloured dust all over her paws when she steps out the WBCL which I never notice from the Fresh Step - even though the FS seemed much more dusty.

Our search for the perfect litter continues. I'm not happy with the WBCL at all.
Wow, I find that interesting Sarah. But of course you would notice a light dust on sweet Smudgey more than I would on Bijou. I do find less dust on the furniture around the litterbox with WBCL. Do you use the multi-cat formula or the regular WBCL? I find the multi-cat formula to be a bit different than the regular.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I noticed the same thing. We have dark blue carpet (it's a rental) and there is an area that is discolored all over the carpet around the box. The WBCL tracks more than any other litter we've ever used!
And I totally agree about the smell. It's horrible when they go in it. I've never had a litter that made me feel nauseous when I clean the box before.
They've even tracked corn dust on the couch.
Mostly I just can't take the smell of the cat pee and the corn together.

Anyway, I've switched one box from a mix back to all Tidy Cats Scoop. The day I changed it back, Stimpy barely waited for me to finish pouring the TC in the box. I haven't decided if the downstairs box will be back to TC or if I will buy Dr Elsey's for that box. We spent so much on the WBCL that I'm using it up before switching litters in that box. Considering how long it lasts it might be a few more weeks.

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i tried wbcl and my kitties didn't like it. they used it fine for about two weeks and one cat decided to let me know how they felt by peeing on the floor! i switched to dr. elsey and they really love that litter they peed in the box as soon as i put it in. dr. elsey's is almost dust free. if you don't mind clay, it works well.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have been using WBCL for a long time and I do like it mainly because it clumps really well. As for the *corny* smell, I mix some Nature's Miracle in there and it's so much better. Also, have to agree with the tracking though. It's really horrible since my kitty's litter box are is also carpeted. One thing which really help is the track mat. It's not 100% foolproof but it greatly reduced the amount of tracking.

Even if they do raise the price, I'll have to still stick with it. I've read how difficult it is to change litter type once your cat get used to one. And a lot of litter box problems arise from sudden changes too.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
health for the cat - as some articles that I've been reading are saying.

From what I understand, if a cat ingests particles of the clay, or clumping clay litter (as in grooming) that it is a health hazard - as Sheri Davis Collins states in her article that I've linked below ....

"passing yellow diarrhea, and vomit a yellow frothy substance"

ref. the article: http://www.allthingscat.com/cat_litter.html

Thanks for the "lead" on Dr. Elsey's cat litter - I'm going to research it, too.
g

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a blend of chicken-feed Krackettes (similar to WBCL, but much less expensive, about $14 for 50#) and Champion Breed Natural-scented clumping (now $11.99 for a 40#box at Kmart). The blend of the grains is the best box deodorant that I've found - and is much safer for the cats and me than the scents in the regular cat litters.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, regarding box odors - I've found that if the cats are provided with enough boxes to have 1 for pee and 1 for poo, the smells are kept way down -which is the theory in the Breeze catbox. That method has worked wonderfully for my "main" cats, my rescued strays as well as the 3rd generation ferals.