Candlewax in fur

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in the middle of doing the earth hour so i have a few candles lit so i can see the keyboard, but Jack jumped up and as i picked up one of the candles to move it he jumped over and put it out with his fur which now has him with candlewax on him

He's ok though, but how do i get the candlewax off him?. I've got the scissors ready because i think this is going to be the only solution........deep joy because that's going to be a job keeping him still!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by courtney_ou

peanut butter
I've heard that, or oil - baby oil, or olive oil - and then use a fine tooth comb to brush it out. It loosens it up & comes out - wait until its hard & dry though. That should work - if it doesn't, I'd resort to cutting it out

Let us know what works!

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
actually try icing it and combing it out. it should break up with no prob! (i had a total brain fart and was thinking of gum not wax.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I held him down from behind so he couldn't move and snipped most of it off. There were just tiny bits where i was too frightened to snip incase i caught his skin. He started grooming the spot so i left him to it, and he's just jumped on my legs now and the tiny bits are now off!
Those barbed tongues of theirs are clever

I'll make sure if we do that earth hour again i'll log off for it!

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hehe, Jack jumped over the candlestick, eh? =3 Good to know he lives up to his name.

JK, but good to hear that he didn't get hurt. Rotten kitties...they just love fire (ours sleep on the stove, and won't get off, even if I turn on a burner) (When I was younger, I accidently burned off my cat Sassy's whiskers because she wouldn't get off the stove, and I was hoping she'd learn to get off when she saw the flame, but...well, she didn't learn. I was just lucky she wasn't hurt...)

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heh when Dahmer was only a couple months old he pounced at a candle I had lit. Never saw a cat pounce backwards right after pouncing forwards. It was like watching a video rewind. Burnt all his whiskers off. Almost 2 years later he still wont go near an open flame lmao.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i always have candles burning - ALWAYS but ive never had probs with the kitties messing with them or even getting around them. around vday, chloe just happened to wrap her tail around me as i was walking by and getting a lit votive at the same time. i tried to grab it and my mom screamed (we just KNEW she was going to pull it down on her back) but instead she just fanned it and singed the edge of her tail a little. thankfully her big fluffy tail saved her!! she kept sniffing it with this puzzled look on her face trying to figure out what was wrong with it

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by courtney_ou

i always have candles burning - ALWAYS but ive never had probs with the kitties messing with them or even getting around them. around vday, chloe just happened to wrap her tail around me as i was walking by and getting a lit votive at the same time. i tried to grab it and my mom screamed (we just KNEW she was going to pull it down on her back) but instead she just fanned it and singed the edge of her tail a little. thankfully her big fluffy tail saved her!! she kept sniffing it with this puzzled look on her face trying to figure out what was wrong with it
Heh, "what's that smell? Oh, is that me and my burned fur? Nowai..."

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I opted for no candles during earth hour for that reason, Damita has lit her whiskers on fire more times than I can count & her tail once, too!

Glad Jack is OK....maybe he should be a candlemaker?