Earth Hour is Tonight!

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't know what Earth Hour is? Turn off your lights, save the environment!

In Australia, more than 2.2 million people and 2,100 businesses participated in Earth Hour 2007 by turning off their lights, which resulted in an energy reduction equivalent to taking 48,000 cars off the road.

This year, millions of people will unite and switch off for Earth Hour at 8 p.m. local time in some of the worlds major cities, including Toronto, Chicago, Melbourne, Tel Aviv and Copenhagen.

http://www4.earthhourus.org/

Toronto will be participating and Toronto's Pearson International Airport will be turning off/reducing its lights! If an airport can do it, you can do it.

And check out Google.com, they've already turned out the lights.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 hour of no computer, no tv, no radio? Unplugging my fridge and freezer and risking food spoilage? Unplugging my water bed and having it cool down? Not to mention having to reset all of my electric clocks, tv, vcr and answering machine.

Thanks, but I think I'll pass on this!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Ohh, I was wondering why Google was black! Cool, Im in! Thanks for posting this!
It takes half the power for a LCD screen to display black as opposed to white.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

1 hour of no computer, no tv, no radio? Unplugging my fridge and freezer and risking food spoilage? Unplugging my water bed and having it cool down? Not to mention having to reset all of my electric clocks, tv, vcr and answering machine.

Thanks, but I think I'll pass on this!
your food wont spoil in an hour of not having the power on if you leave the door closed btw. but like they said, it's just the lights.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be watching TV and my boyfriend will be on the computer. But we're gonna shut all the lights off.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okiron

your food wont spoil in an hour of not having the power on if you leave the door closed btw. but like they said, it's just the lights.
I saw on the news that people were not only turning out lights, but also expected to cut their entire power by unplugging appliances etc, they even talked about unplugging your computer and if you needed to get on the internet to use a laptop with a battery backup instead of the electricity.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I saw on the news that people were not only turning out lights, but also expected to cut their entire power by unplugging appliances etc, they even talked about unplugging your computer and if you needed to get on the internet to use a laptop with a battery backup instead of the electricity.
your food still wont spoil lol.