What do you wear to church?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been to church in years, and I will be going next weekend.

Any church going ladies in the crowd that can give me some pointers? Do I wear a skirt..or can I wear pants...? This is new to me

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually when I go to church I wear dress pants and a sweater-, in the summer its dressy capris and heals.

I think a skirt would be fine!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Different churches have different types of dress. Some churches have members that regularly wear jeans, some don't. I say wear pants, but not jeans and you should be OK.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Different churches have different types of dress. Some churches have members that regularly wear jeans, some don't. I say wear pants, but not jeans and you should be OK.
my church is very casual - jeans are ok. but nice pants are always correct. we see all kinds of dress where i attend.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say it pretty much depends on the church, and what you feel comfortable in.

I'm in the choir, so we can wear anything under the robes, as long as it's light on the top and dark on the bottom. I usually wear nice jeans with black shoes and a nice solid color shirt. But people in my congregation wear just about anything.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wear what is comfortable to you. If its a "traditional" church like Lutheran, Catholic, etc. dress up a little more (skirt). If its a more laid back church like many of the evangelical ones, anything from jeans to dresses is ok. I usually wear pants and a nice top; once in awhile for Christmas/Easter I'll wear a dress. DH usually wears jeans or dress pants.

We both help out in setting and taking down chairs, so I don't put on anything that will get too messed up.

BTW what's the occasion you are going to church next week if you haven't been for ages? And will there be another visit after next week ?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would recommend a skirt as the church I go to it is expected women where skirts , skirt suit s or dresses

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most churches these days are pretty relaxed about what you wear - The important thing is that your going!

If you know someone who already goes there, just ask them what the regular apparel is, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

If you want to play it safe, I'm sure a nice pair of pants and a nice top will do just fine!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wear anything you like. I haven't been to church in a few years but I saw women wearing dress pants and nice blouses or sweaters, skirts, dresses, and even shorts in the summer. I also so people wearing courdroy or denim/jeans too. I wore nice casual pants with a top.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

BTW what's the occasion you are going to church next week if you haven't been for ages? And will there be another visit after next week ?
Thanks everyone! It sounds like I would be safe in the same kind of thing I wear to work.

The new man in my life is introducing me to religion..and he is visiting next weekend. Since he will be missing church there, he asked that we visit a church here together on Sunday. I have an open mind and have never really known what to believe either way, so I figure if its important to him, I will be open to learning about it.

I wonder if you can just show up to a random church??

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Of course you can!
if he's a particular denomination, he might feel more comfortable attending one of his preference... you know, familiar w/the customs, rituals, etc.
what kind of service does he attend now? there's a wide range available, from a highly formal service to a very casual, free, participatory one.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

if he's a particular denomination, he might feel more comfortable attending one of his preference... you know, familiar w/the customs, rituals, etc.
what kind of service does he attend now? there's a wide range available, from a highly formal service to a very casual, free, participatory one.
I'll have to ask him what denomination..I just know he is Christian and thats about it

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I have an open mind and have never really known what to believe either way, so I figure if its important to him, I will be open to learning about it.
Wow, you have really fallen for this guy, eh Nat?
And not ONCE have I heard you mention the car he drives (remembering a previous thread about cars and the guys who drive them).

I think Tracy and I should sneak over there when you go to church and give him the once over to make sure he has been given a TCS approval rating.

Most churches I have been to require a conservative approach to dress. I personally would just wear a nice blouse/sweater and pants. Stay away from the jeans and I think you will be safe. Good on you for keeping an open mind where religion is concerned. I'm always interested in different views/thoughts and though I may not agree to everything, I find the learning process in informative one.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Russian Blue

Wow, you have really fallen for this guy, eh Nat?
And not ONCE have I heard you mention the car he drives (remembering a previous thread about cars and the guys who drive them).

I think Tracy and I should sneak over there when you go to church and give him the once over to make sure he has been given a TCS approval rating.
I have fallen hard...we both have so its pretty awesome. He doesn't even HAVE a car yet. He is in school
What the heck am I doing eh?
I just know its right..people always told me I was crazy for not settling thinking I was too picky. Now its right, and the guy doesn't even own a car
Go figure.

You two are welcome to come!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a church turns you away, then its not a church I would want to attend. If he doesn't have a certain type (Lutheran, etc.) then maybe try a few in the area. You will know you are in the right church - it just "feels" right.

But I suggest you also look for one that teaches the Bible - and not just want they think people want to hear - that's very important.

When I first came here, we went a few times to the church that our boys had found and liked. It was totally different then I had grown up with - much more "upbeat" and I really liked it. But when it came time to get married (both DH and I are divorced) we found out that this church did not perform 2nd marriages no matter what the reason for the divorce. That ended our attendance really quick.

We went to a few others and picked out one that was much better suited to us and really taught from the Bible - unlike the traditional churches usually do.

When we moved again, it was really weird - we let God decide the church for us and its wonderful - both of us have learned far more about the Bible and what it really says then growing up. On the weekends we have a cat show to attend, we really miss the service a lot. In fact, we picked out one of the best churches in Maui when we were there. If we move to Maui, we know which church we will attend.

Hope you enjoy things and hope you both find the right church to attend

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most churches welcome new members and often have greeters. Wearing what you wear to work is a great idea. I just wear dress pants and a shirt or sweater, DH does the same. People wear jeans to the Catholic Church I go to during the contemporary service, but some during the regular as well. Most people just wear something like Dockers and sweaters. Don't be afraid to look around a bit and visit a few different churches. I remember visiting one where no one even smiled at me, another were at least five people came up to introduce themselves. Good luck tomorrow!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wore jeans with muddy dog paw prints & a petfinder t-shirt to church tonight. I had to go to a different church than my normal one because I woudln't make it in time for church at my regular parish.