It's crazy

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How expensive it's getting to buy groceries!! I just went to the store and it cost 28 bucks just to buy thirteen items. Heck milk and a thing of cheese singles was five bucks just themselves. Maybe DH and I should consider food stamps.
Well, it wouldn't be so bad if I would have gotten my unemployment check this week but they stopped payment due to an issue.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate buying groceries. I am going grocery shopping in about an hour and I'm afraid to see what thats going to cost.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could walk out paying only $28
I'm averaging $35+ each visit...which is about every 3-4 days.

Usually its meat for me though...that's about $5 a package.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, groceries are outrageous!

Factor in cat food, cat litter, cleaning/toiletry products and non prescription medications and it makes it even more expensive! I'm single and shop for me and 2 cats, and I can't ever leave the store without spending $200.00!!!

It doesn't help that I'm lactose intolerant and have to spend double the price on milk and nondairy products. And it's winter right now and the produce is astromonimcally expensive!

I spend about $500.00 per month on all of the above, and even then I run out of things and go without because I can't afford to go and buy more.

My next shopping trip I have to buy about $100.00 in cleaning/toiletry/non prescription medications, which eats into my actual grocery budget, so April will be a lean month for actual food.

- Benadryl $14.00
- Aceteminophen $14.00
- Multi Vitamin $18.00
- Fabric Softener $6.00 (possibly more)
- toilet paper $10.00
- Windex $6.00
- Javex $6.00
- Hand Soap $5.00
- 13% tax on all of the above.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

My next shopping trip I have to buy about $100.00 in cleaning/toiletry/non prescription medications
You can save a lot of money by using natural home made cleaners instead of chemicals. Using baking soda, lemons, white vinegar etc.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Exactly. For some stuff buy generic and off labels. If your grocery store has some member card that lets you save a little, get it. DH and I probably save $20-40 most months.
Toilet paper - buy in larger 12-24 roll bundles, there's usually better sales on it and on the better quality brands at those sizes.
Check for weekly specials or even online for coupons and sales on litter and cat food, you might get lucky.
Here in the US we have dollar stores. Stores like Dollar General don't actually sell everything for $1 but the prices are usually good and you can get things like soaps, fabric softeners, and detergents cheaper.

And I agree about the lactose free milk, the stuff is a rip off considering they're just adding an enzyme. Luckily I can usually handle cheese since I've never seen any sort of lactose free cheeses. Cheese is usually a "treat" unless it's needed for a recipe, too pricey to buy every time we go shopping.

lochnessmonster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys
You know its no better this side of the pond, shopping for food and other of lifes necessities is just getting more and more expensive where ever you are in the world.
There is 4 of us in my house, me, hubby and 2 girls and not forgetting the my 2 fur babies, and i just spend a whopping £161 at the supermarket yesterday! Granted I had let the supplies run down and we needed a lot (I knew it was bad when my 10yr old put a post-it on the fridge saying "Feed me"!!) but I still had a shock when I had to pay the bill.
Why can't grocery shopping just stay done when you have done it!!

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
It's not too bad for me because I eat mostly vegan and home-made. My groceries consist mostly of veggies/fruits, grains, legumes, nuts, tofu, soy milk and fruit juice. I don't even buy bread since I got a bread machine.

I'm really turning into a health nut
but I feel great, and save a lot of money... so why stop?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

My next shopping trip I have to buy about $100.00 in cleaning/toiletry/non prescription medications, which eats into my actual grocery budget, so April will be a lean month for actual food.

- Benadryl $14.00
- Aceteminophen $14.00
- Multi Vitamin $18.00
- Fabric Softener $6.00 (possibly more)
- toilet paper $10.00
- Windex $6.00
- Javex $6.00
- Hand Soap $5.00
- 13% tax on all of the above.
Thats a lot of money for some things. I bought a double pack of 200 acetaminophen (so 400 all together) for about $6 at Wal Mart. I buy cheap stuff from Zellers or Wal Mart for about half the price of benadryl. Windex and javex are both only about $2 for the cheap brands.

Can you tell I work at Zellers? I don't ever buy the brand name stuff anymore because its the same stuff but for half the price.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Diesel fuel has gone from under $2 to almost $4 in just about a year. The average consumer good in the U.S. has been on a truck 5 times. You do the math!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeh, i agree! grocerie's are expensive! i especially hate, when everything run's out at the same time! which in my case, alway's happen's.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My weekly shopping bill is usually between £55-£70 a week, so double that figure for the USA rate
As soon as i open something like a new bottle of bleach, or a pack of toilet tissue etc.. i always buy a new one to have in stock.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Diesel fuel has gone from under $2 to almost $4 in just about a year. The average consumer good in the U.S. has been on a truck 5 times. You do the math!
Yep! The cost of fuel is driving everything up. I live in the middle of farm country and I need to start utilizing the area I live in instead of the grocery store or walmart where the food gets shipped in.