TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › What the heck is wrong with the Canadian government?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What the heck is wrong with the Canadian government? - Page 3

post #61 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I meant the link in the OP.
I don't "wear" animals.
What are you getting at Z, I can't be outraged over this because I am not a vegetarian, is that what you are saying?
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that this is equally appalling as what happens in factory farms. You can choose to keep eating them or not, I'm just explaining that the way you feel about this is the way a lot of people feel about all the millions of animals that die in other ways at human hands.

You don't wear any leather at all?
post #62 of 83
Thread Starter 
No, no leather at all. No shoes, no belts, no coats, no nothing.

And I will say there is a big, huge difference between killing an animal humanely for food and clubbing a 21 day old seal to death for its' fur. If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.
post #63 of 83
So why is it that you only find killing baby seals inhumane? Is it then ok to do it to adult seals?

As I mentioned, the WWF found clubbing (when done properly with the special club that I forget the name of) to be more humane than shooting them because of the way their body works.

Again, I do not agree with seal hunting and have spoken out against it to my politicians, but I also know that having a one sided view and going into speak to politicians with just outrage does nothing. You need to be informed

I know that you don't have a problem with First Nations people using the meat, my point is that they will never outlaw it when there is a large lobbyist group standing up for the rights of First Nations and it has been shot down several times when talking about allowing them only to hunt as being racist because they cannot prove that another person is not using the seal for the same purposes.
post #64 of 83
Thread Starter 
No, it is not okay IMo.
post #65 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
No, it is not okay IMo.
The HSUS not only agrees with that, they have provided an online pledge to not buy Canadian seafood which I have already signed.
http://www.hsus.org/index-seals.html
post #66 of 83
First off ,online petitions do nothing but gather emails for spammers. If you think that one person, no matter where they live cannot make a difference, you are wrong. One person can make quite a difference- it just takes time to outline a plan and then attack the issue.

There are animals killed unjustly all over the world, so smashing Canadians (especially in light of all the members here from Canada) is a bit out there. In Spain they kill bulls, in Alaska they kill whales and also shoot wolves from small aircraft. The activists use the baby seals because of their cuteness factor. It tugs at heartstrings because they have such large innocent eyes and such beautiful fur.

You want to get outraged? Visit a local slaugherhouse if you have the stomach for it and watch what they do to the livestock passing through. Visit a factory farm and see how they treat chickens, baby lambs, or calves. Do you take premarin or estrogen? Check out how pregnant mares are treated.

There is injustice to animals everywhere. You don't have to look very hard or very far to find it. If you are that upset, then write to the Canadian officials and make your complaints known. But bear in mind, you are fighting a tough battle- the natives have rights whether or not you agree with them. In Alaska for example, the natives hunt whales. They don't hunt them because they need the food, they don't hunt them with the same weapons their ancestors use. They use automatic weapons and explosives (to stun them.) I personally think they hunt whales because they can. Kind of like thumbing their nose at those who disagree and saying in effect- you don't like it? Tough on you.

Your outrage has been noted, your disgust recorded. But as Yosemite said- many groups have tried to stop this, just as in Alaska (where I used to live) we also tried to stop the slaughter. So far, it's not working. I am sure if you come up with the golden answer, that animal rights groups would embrace you. Just don't paint all Canadians with the same brush.
post #67 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
If you think that one person, no matter where they live cannot make a difference, you are wrong. One person can make quite a difference- it just takes time to outline a plan and then attack the issue.
Agreed. Cindy's got enough passion about this that she might just be that one person...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
There are animals killed unjustly all over the world, so smashing Canadians (especially in light of all the members here from Canada) is a bit out there.
A few other posters have also alluded to this. I've read through all the posts, and I can't find where anyone is "smashing Canadians". I have seen a statement by Cindy criticizing the Canadian *sealers* specifically, not the Canadian people as a whole.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
... the natives have rights whether or not you agree with them.
Cindy has acknowledged that the native peoples have rights and should be allowed to hunt seals.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
Just don't paint all Canadians with the same brush.
Once again, I see outrage expressed in this thread specifically against the Canadian government and the Canadian sealers. I don't think that asking the question in the OP "Why don't the Canadian people rise up and put a stop to this horrid practice of killing baby seals?" amounts to an attack on Canadians. It seemed a fair question and I'm glad that some Canadian members have shared information about what has been tried so far in an effort to stop the seal massacre.
post #68 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
First off ,online petitions do nothing but gather emails for spammers. If you think that one person, no matter where they live cannot make a difference, you are wrong. One person can make quite a difference- it just takes time to outline a plan and then attack the issue.

There are animals killed unjustly all over the world, so smashing Canadians (especially in light of all the members here from Canada) is a bit out there. In Spain they kill bulls, in Alaska they kill whales and also shoot wolves from small aircraft. The activists use the baby seals because of their cuteness factor. It tugs at heartstrings because they have such large innocent eyes and such beautiful fur.

You want to get outraged? Visit a local slaugherhouse if you have the stomach for it and watch what they do to the livestock passing through. Visit a factory farm and see how they treat chickens, baby lambs, or calves. Do you take premarin or estrogen? Check out how pregnant mares are treated.

There is injustice to animals everywhere. You don't have to look very hard or very far to find it. If you are that upset, then write to the Canadian officials and make your complaints known. But bear in mind, you are fighting a tough battle- the natives have rights whether or not you agree with them. In Alaska for example, the natives hunt whales. They don't hunt them because they need the food, they don't hunt them with the same weapons their ancestors use. They use automatic weapons and explosives (to stun them.) I personally think they hunt whales because they can. Kind of like thumbing their nose at those who disagree and saying in effect- you don't like it? Tough on you.

Your outrage has been noted, your disgust recorded. But as Yosemite said- many groups have tried to stop this, just as in Alaska (where I used to live) we also tried to stop the slaughter. So far, it's not working. I am sure if you come up with the golden answer, that animal rights groups would embrace you. Just don't paint all Canadians with the same brush.
Thank you for the voice of reason, MA.

It isn't a picnic out there on the ice -- not for the seals, not for the hunters. Here's a year-old FAQ about the practice...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/sealhunt/

...that does not take sides, but does address the issues in general from both points of view. On the same site, you'll find links to more detail on both points of view.

I'm really not into heavy debates, but initially thought I was prepared to try to present a more balanced approach here -- mostly because I was annoyed at the broad brush condemnation of Canada. Well, a few people have answered that, not least of whom was MA, so I can let that go for now. But given the comments in this thread, it seems likely that anything short of wholesale endorsement of the AR groups' hype will for the most part fall on deaf ears, so I think I'll save the effort to find more material.

Just remember that there are at least two sides to every story -- only one of them is getting any serious consideration in this thread, and it's the one that carries the emotional baggage. Never the most reliable, in my experience.
post #69 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
it's the one that carries the emotional baggage. Never the most reliable, in my experience.
Hmm, I still haven't changed my opinion. I just wonder who are the consumers who buy the seal pelt products
IMO, supporting this industry is akin to supporting the strip mines! They were big employers for sure, but the industry was bad for the environment. As a culture, we need to accept social responsibility. If that means paying triple or quadruple for food costs so that we can humanely farm meat animals and also replace illegal fieldhands with American workers making decent wages, then we need to step up to the plate and do exactly that. The seal hunts are just one aspect of this life.
I will allow that the title to the thread is provocative, but it did get attention, and plenty of it, which actually works to get people thinking about this situation.
post #70 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Indeed they are, as has been shown by any number of threads criticizing the United States.
Oh indeed, we've all (myself included of course) done their share of the arm-chair critic thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
No, no leather at all. No shoes, no belts, no coats, no nothing.

And I will say there is a BIG, HUge difference between killing an animal humanely for food and clubbing a 21 day old seal to death for its' fur. If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to tell you.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you - clubbing something to death seems cruel and we'd like to think there was a better way. But, as Eithne says, that may be the best way. If some folks were lousy shots, the animals may suffer even more so I honestly don't know if these special clubs are more humane or not.

I did not take the "Canadian" reference in this thread title as an insult. I agree that something should be done regarding this seal hunt, but so many things have been tried over so many years and nothing is changing. Don't believe for an instant that people (Canadian and others) haven't been doing anything to try to stop this tragic yearly event.

As to who is using the products from this hunt, I think you'll find that what the natives don't use is being used/shipped to other parts of the world. I may be naive but I don't believe a lot of Canadians are supporting anything coming out of the seal hunt. Naturally there will always be some with lower morals than others, but I think the majority of us wouldn't support those products.
post #71 of 83
Thread Starter 
I will say again, for the umpteenth time, there is a huge difference between animals for Foodand the massacre of seals for the Fashion industry. If you cannot see that then I don't know what to tell you.

NO, I do not and have Never taken Premerin or Estrogen and believe me, I am old enough. And the pregnant mares were the reason along with not wanting those massive doses of hormones in my body. Did not take birth control pills either.

Where did I smash Canadians? I'm sorry if you take offense to the Canadian government being criticized, but it is very warranted IMO. Our government gets criticized on a regualar basis and there are many Americans on this board. Alot of times the criticism is warranted, sometimes it is not IMO, but whether or not I feel the criticism of American government is warranted I have to suck it up because everyone has their own opinion. So, does the Canadian government get special consideration because it is Canada? I don't think so.

Is there injustice to animals everywhere? Of course. Does that make it right?
No. Does that mean one cannot express their outrage about this barbaric practice? No. Did you read any of the links. This Seal massacre occurs Every year and has for decades. It is the "The Largest Marine Mammal Hunt in the World" I think that deserves some special consideration, don't you?

Quote:
"But bear in mind, you are fighting a tough battle- the natives have rights whether or not you agree with them." Unquote How many times do I have to post that I have no problem with the natives.

And you, "personally" feeling that the native Alaskans hunt whales "because they can" is your opinion, nothing more. If you have some proof of that, post some links. Goodness knows I have posted dozens in this thread.

I read the link by Rapunzel. What jumped out at me primarily is the premise that only the "animal rights activists" are outraged by the seal massacre. I don't agree with that at all

And last, but certainly not least, thank you to KTLynn for saying it much better than I could and with alot less words.



Quote:
Originally Posted by hissy View Post
First off ,online petitions do nothing but gather emails for spammers. If you think that one person, no matter where they live cannot make a difference, you are wrong. One person can make quite a difference- it just takes time to outline a plan and then attack the issue.

There are animals killed unjustly all over the world, so smashing Canadians (especially in light of all the members here from Canada) is a bit out there. In Spain they kill bulls, in Alaska they kill whales and also shoot wolves from small aircraft. The activists use the baby seals because of their cuteness factor. It tugs at heartstrings because they have such large innocent eyes and such beautiful fur.

You want to get outraged? Visit a local slaugherhouse if you have the stomach for it and watch what they do to the livestock passing through. Visit a factory farm and see how they treat chickens, baby lambs, or calves. Do you take premarin or estrogen? Check out how pregnant mares are treated.

There is injustice to animals everywhere. You don't have to look very hard or very far to find it. If you are that upset, then write to the Canadian officials and make your complaints known. But bear in mind, you are fighting a tough battle- the natives have rights whether or not you agree with them. In Alaska for example, the natives hunt whales. They don't hunt them because they need the food, they don't hunt them with the same weapons their ancestors use. They use automatic weapons and explosives (to stun them.) I personally think they hunt whales because they can. Kind of like thumbing their nose at those who disagree and saying in effect- you don't like it? Tough on you.

Your outrage has been noted, your disgust recorded. But as Yosemite said- many groups have tried to stop this, just as in Alaska (where I used to live) we also tried to stop the slaughter. So far, it's not working. I am sure if you come up with the golden answer, that animal rights groups would embrace you. Just don't paint all Canadians with the same brush.
post #72 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post

Where did I smash Canadians? I'm sorry if you take offense to the Canadian government being criticized, but it is very warranted IMO.
Until I read the content of the thread, that is how I took it.
post #73 of 83
Thread Starter 
I'm sorry about that. If I knew how to go and Edit the title to say, "What the heck is wrong with the Canadian Government" I would, believe me.
But I don't think you can edit the next day, I did go back to edit it a few days ago but there was no edit button then. You are right about that, "government" should have been in the title line.
post #74 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I'm sorry about that. If I knew how to go and Edit the title to say, "What the heck is wrong with the Canadian Government" I would, believe me.
But I don't think you can edit the next day, I did go back to edit it a few days ago but there was no edit button then. You are right about that, "government" should have been in the title line.
I've edited the title for you.
post #75 of 83
Thread Starter 
Cool, thank you Jcat.
post #76 of 83
A note to all: I've edited a number of posts in this thread, replacing capitalized words with underlined ones, as some posters don't seem to be aware that capitalizing words in posts is the equivalent of shouting at people in real life. It's way past my bedtime, so I apologize if I've missed something.
post #77 of 83
A sealing vessel was involved in a tragic accident.

I'm sorry that someone lost their life. But on the other hand I call it karma and part of me just doesn't care and while I've tried, I just don't have any sympathy for the people involved. In fact a little bit of me is actually glad that it happened. Callous? Maybe, but that's just how I feel.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...329?hub=Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/...kson-invu.html

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/ontar...137e1db&k=8853
post #78 of 83
Thread Starter 
Here is an update.

There is a vidio that is graphic but the video does not play unless you click on it. But the article is very informative and very sad.

http://blog.stopthesealhunt.com/

The people in the Netherlands are pushing for the EU to make the decision to ban all Canadian seal product. Oh, how I pray that this happens and this year.

http://blog.stopthesealhunt.com/2008...en-and-po.html
post #79 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Here is an update.

The people in the Netherlands are pushing for the EU to make the decision to ban all Canadian seal product. Oh, how I pray that this happens and this year.

http://blog.stopthesealhunt.com/2008...en-and-po.html
Adding my prayers and vibes to yours that such a ban happens very, very soon!!!
post #80 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme View Post
Adding my prayers and vibes to yours that such a ban happens very, very soon!!!
Awesome! Me too!
post #81 of 83
Thread Starter 
Latest update on the Seal Massacre. Sad. Those poor people that are there to document the slaughter, I don't see how they can do it, how traumatized they must be.

http://blog.stopthesealhunt.com/


Don't worry, no video's play unless you click on them.
post #82 of 83
Thread Starter 
http://www.hsicanada.ca/seals/seal_h...om_ice_08.html

Live from the Ice, a written report. My heart goes out to the baby seals and to the people that have to witness this to bring it to the world.
post #83 of 83
Thread Starter 
http://www.comcast.net/news/articles...ada.Seal.Hunt/

Wouldn't you know it, the Canadian Government is now filing charging against the protesters.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breaking Mews
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › What the heck is wrong with the Canadian government?