I'm a bit nervous

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been on Depo for birthcontrol for nine years and I think it's time for a change. I made an appt. with an obgyn to discuss switching because they'd know more about what's best than my family doctor. (which is currently where I get my Depo) Anyway, I can't get in until April 29 and my Depo shot is due on the 16 which means I'll be going a while without birthcontol. I know there are other ways to keep from getting pregnant but I'm still nervous. Maybe I should just tell DH we can't ya know for a while.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought you weren't supposed to be on Depo that long consistently?

My roomie's doctor took her off depo because of that, told her she had to use something else for a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

I thought you weren't supposed to be on Depo that long consistently?

My roomie's doctor took her off depo because of that, told her she had to use something else for a while.
I've heard that as well but my family doc has never said anything about getting off of it. I'm going to anyway though.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's nothing concrete about how long you should or shouldn't use any hormonal method of BC. Being on the shot for 9 years is pretty much the same as being on the pill for 9 years. I don't blame you for being nervous. In the grand scheme of things waiting wouldn't be terrible. If you go to something hormonal again you'd have to wait about 3 weeks. 2 for the time between your shot wearing off and you Dr. appointment and another 7-10 days for the new method to take effect. Good idea seeing a gyno though. I personally wouldn't trust a GP with my reproductive health. Did you have anything in mind or are you just going to see what the doc recomends? I have LOTS of experience with several methods.
They are all different for everybody though so what works great for some may not for others. Good luck!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

There's nothing concrete about how long you should or shouldn't use any hormonal method of BC. Being on the shot for 9 years is pretty much the same as being on the pill for 9 years. I don't blame you for being nervous. In the grand scheme of things waiting wouldn't be terrible. If you go to something hormonal again you'd have to wait about 3 weeks. 2 for the time between your shot wearing off and you Dr. appointment and another 7-10 days for the new method to take effect. Good idea seeing a gyno though. I personally wouldn't trust a GP with my reproductive health. Did you have anything in mind or are you just going to see what the doc recomends? I have LOTS of experience with several methods.
They are all different for everybody though so what works great for some may not for others. Good luck!
Well I'm looking for something that I will only have four cycles a year. Right now I don't have one at all which is nice but I heard it's not good because your body reabsorbs all the stuff.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i was on Depo for 2 years, & after that my gyno told me she'd rather put me on something else bc being on Depo for that long can cause bone density loss. i was so used to not getting my "friend" that i chose to get put on Seasonale, the BC which u only get your "friend" every 3 months. i liked it, but eventually stopped taking BC all together bcuz i kept forgetting to take it, since i was so used to the shot

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KiTTYL0VE4

i was on Depo for 2 years, & after that my gyno told me she'd rather put me on something else bc being on Depo for that long can cause bone density loss. i was so used to not getting my "friend" that i chose to get put on Seasonale, the BC which u only get your "friend" every 3 months. i liked it, but eventually stopped taking BC all together bcuz i kept forgetting to take it, since i was so used to the shot
That's another thing. I'm worried about forgetting to take the pill and next thing I know, up Amy's pregnant.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Well I'm looking for something that I will only have four cycles a year. Right now I don't have one at all which is nice but I heard it's not good because your body reabsorbs all the stuff.
The nurse I was today was telling me that they've just come out with a new pill that only lets you cycle once a year. I've heard both side to the no periods thing.. that there's no harm in it and that it's unnatural and can cause problems. Most professional opinions I've heard is that under the care of your Dr. it's not a big deal.

Originally Posted by luvmycat1

That's another thing. I'm worried about forgetting to take the pill and next thing I know, up Amy's pregnant.
You should definitely talk this out with your hubby. I missed the occasional pill and never got pregnant which considering how easy it was when I went off them kind of surprises me as we are both apparently very fertile.
But really, if your worried about it talk it through and make sure that your both on the same page if there is an "accident". I set an alarm on my cell phone to remind me to take mine. Hubby paid attention too and reminded me occasionally.

If you don't want to remember a pill you could try the patch or ring. Any hormonal BC can be used to skip periods. Basically, all you have to do is stay on it until your ready to menstruate. You can even do this with pills... I skipped a few periods to make sure I wouldn't have to worry about it during my honeymoon.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my parents used condoms & spermicides thruout their fertile years [no BC pills at that time] & never had an unplanned pregnancy. my sister tried BC when she was a newlywed [again, 25 years ago] but was unhappy w/the side effects, so they switched to condoms & spermicides as well - again, altho she has 4 kids, they were all planned.
as long as you're VERY consistent, most barrier methods [except for rhythm] can be quite effective. not 100%, but nothing truly is, barring abstinence [which i wouldn't recommend for a married couple!]

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From the Dopo-Provera wesite http://www.depoprovera.com/vc-prospect-user.asp#7

"Can I get pregnant after I stop using Depo-Provera? ...when you stop using Depo-Provera, you will return to your underlying level of fertility. But if your goal is to become pregnant within the next year, Depo-Provera is not recommended. Being able to get pregnant after using Depo-Provera has nothing to do with how many shots you've had. Whether you've had 1 dose or 20, it's the same. For some women it takes more time. And for other women, it happens faster."

This leads me to believe that the few weeks between your transition should be fine, but you may want to consider an alternative if you're concerned.

PS... the site also mentions bone loss with prolonged use, but eating a calcium rich diet can counter the effects. It's a matter of benefits outweighing the risks.

Good luck at your GYNs!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KiTTYL0VE4

i was so used to not getting my "friend" that i chose to get put on Seasonale, the BC which u only get your "friend" every 3 months. i liked it, but eventually stopped taking BC all together bcuz i kept forgetting to take it, since i was so used to the shot
Did it cause you any bad side effects? Headaches or upset stomach/nausea?

I've been hesitant to try any BC pills due to history of migraines with aura and because I already have gallbladder problems... But I'm seriously considering one of the extended cycle BC pills to see if it has any benefit for my NCS - at the very least I would be saving blood that I really don't need to be losing.
A possible blood pressure increase side effect would be really nice too.

Anyone else take one of the extended cycle ones and have good or bad experience with them to share?

luvmycat1 - It should become habit after a while... try putting it by the computer.
I did have some problems remembering to take stuff or whether I've already taken something, but I've gotten into the habit of writing down what I've taken and when. I have to take one med 3-4 times a day, potassium, and several salt tabs since I don't like salting my food - so for me it would just be one more to add to the morning routine.
It doesn't hurt to keep track of how you're feeling too, including when and what you did to cause a backache (docs ask specific questions about when and how).

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a heads up, just be ware that you're hormones will have a change while you're between the date you're due for another and a couple of months after starting the new bc.

Granted I'm on the pill...(I chose to avoid depro because of the weight gain associated with it...plus I don't have a calcium rich diet). However because I was switching to a new hormone after 5 years, I think I'm finally "mentally" back after 3-4 months. Again too I'm also very hormone sensitive.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

From the Dopo-Provera wesite
This leads me to believe that the few weeks between your transition should be fine, but you may want to consider an alternative if you're concerned.

PS... the site also mentions bone loss with prolonged use, but eating a calcium rich diet can counter the effects. It's a matter of benefits outweighing the risks.

Good luck at your GYNs!
I wouldn't count on it! ALWAYS use some method of BC unless you want to become pregnant. What was quoted stated that form some it takes longer... that has NOTHING to do with the birth control. I was on my pills for 10+ years and got pregnant in one month!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as you're not a smoker, the use of any birth control method is less of a risk than getting pregnant. That is, far more women die of pregnancy complications than die of the side effects of any of the birth control methods.

It's a little like our cats. Spaying and neutering can have serious complications, but they almost always lengthen the life of the cat.