Kitten in apartment is gone?!

skimmystrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is not very old, Maybe two-Three months, And is really small, But yesterday, we just couldn't find her at all, We looked almost everywhere, Also the fact that we live in an apartment is scary to me since we left our balcony door open, But there were no signs of her jumping off the balcony, Where do you think she went? She's an indoor cat, I don't know where she could have gone to...

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you check for holes in floorboards and walls? Look inside suitcases and bags? Cats can get into very unexpected places. Could she have climbed onto a ledge from the balcony?

Hope you find her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skimmystrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's usually lying on the couch with the other kittens when I get home, But today she was just gone, And I havn't seen her all morning either

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a pet sitter and small cats sometimes have given me a scare when I can't find them. Especially in apartments since maintenance people may accidentally let them out. However, they're usually just hiding really well. Somethings I check for clues are litter boxes to see if they look like they've been used the right amount and food dishes to see if food is being eaten.

Be sure to look in closets to make sure she didn't get shut somewhere. I'm sure you've done that but kittens can get into some surprising places. Once, we found a kitten who figured out how to get in the drawer of a dresser. I'm still not sure how he did it but I do know he managed it all on his own.

I'd check with the apartment management too to see if someone entered your apartment while you were gone. Its frightening to consider but maybe someone let her out.

skimmystrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've looked everywhere possible though, I'm thinking maybe someone might have scooped her up if she had escaped threw the door but I don't know =\\

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I'd contact my neighbors and put up signs just in case. If someone did pick her up you'll be more likely to find her the quicker you do things. I'm really sorry and I hope you find her and soon.

skimmystrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes thats what my mother is doing at the moment, While I try to find her in the house.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always try putting out some tuna or something like that and see if she comes for the treat. Something smelly works well.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My full grown cats can manage to hide in small bathroom drawers and our dresser drawers when it's only opened an inch or 2. So even if it looks impossible to get into, check it.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two big cats, and a two bedroom condo, and I've spent more than a couple of frantic hours looking for them, so I can sympathize.

I'd closed off all the windows and doors and start tearing apart the apartment bit by bit - checking absolutely everything, including places you think are too small. Every drawer, every cabinet, behind and in every appliance, in and around every piece of furniture (including between mattress and box spring), every closet, etc. Including places you think are absolutely too high to get into. Best of luck finding her - I can only imagine how nervous you are now.

skimmystrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just cut open my couch in hopes of finding her, No luck.
My neighbour has said that he has found a kitten though, So thats where my mom is going now.

skimmystrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've eliminated the fact that it may be in the apartment still, So now we're on a hunt to find hannah by our neighbours and others.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that you find your kitten!

They really can find the most amazing places though. We have an RV and were heading out on a trip. Our cats are all indoor only - but the back door got left open for a few minutes on trips back and forth, and the garage doors were open. We FREAKED when we couldn't find our little Flowerbelle. We ripped the house apart - and still couldn't find her. We eventually found her up under a recliner - and ripping the back off of it we STILL wouldn't have seen her. We had to turn the chair upside down and get her out of the housing.

We "lost" Spooky once. Turned out she was up in the springs of a mattress - and we couldn't even see where the bottom cloth was detached enough for her to even get in there.

I hope you find her safely at a neighbor's soon!

Laurie

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i lost chloe 20 min after i brought her home! my roomie and i were baffled. we turned the apt upside down and we knew she hadnt gone out since we hadnt opened the door. she was in the back of the fridge. it had this 2'x2' indention at the bottom where the crisper was. she hid there and in the back of a desk that was totally flush to the floor. we still dont know how she fit in that desk. she wouldnt even have come out if she hadnt thought i was asleep.

id put food out and be VERY VERY quiet for like 30 min (or leave at least one person there to monitor the food while everyone else scours the neighbors)

lucyfur007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I first moved into town with Kudos my old farmcat he hid in a big bag of kitty litter and wouldnt even come when his name was called. Found him in the afternoon when he poped his head up looking baffled at all the commotion.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by courtney_ou

i lost chloe 20 min after i brought her home! my roomie and i were baffled. we turned the apt upside down and we knew she hadnt gone out since we hadnt opened the door. she was in the back of the fridge. it had this 2'x2' indention at the bottom where the crisper was. she hid there and in the back of a desk that was totally flush to the floor. we still dont know how she fit in that desk. she wouldnt even have come out if she hadnt thought i was asleep.

id put food out and be VERY VERY quiet for like 30 min (or leave at least one person there to monitor the food while everyone else scours the neighbors)
I was just going to suggest looking under and behind the fridge.
We "lost" our RB girl Maggie one time and that's where she was.
Like you, I have no clue how she got under there but she did.

I hope the kitten your neighbor found is your girl.

ddcarlson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope you find your kitten! I couldn't imagine her our some positive good luck vibes Best of LUCK!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your neighbor has her! I was going to suggest walking around the house with a can of food - lol - that's what we do when we cant find one of ours... if shaking their food bag doesnt work, then a can of food will always bring them in the open

Next I was going to suggest in the couch - another LOL - this must be a common occurrence
But I see you've dont that too.

If it isnt your neighbor who has her, my next suggestion is to hang some signs up within your complex. Hopefully someone has spotted her.

Good luck!! I hope she turns up soon.