Trying to decide what type of diet is best for him.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Jordan has been eating the grain free dry food like a champ this week, the problem is his constipation seems worse. I'd feed him the grain free wet, but he is on a kick of only eating F.F. wet. I could go back to giving him Lactulose regularly. I just dont' know what is the best thing to do?? Here's my choices:

1. Feed grain free dry in the morning & FF at night, add lactulose

2. Feed FF at both meals

It makes me feel better that he is getting at least 1 healthy meal a day, but if it's making him more constipated that is no good.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMHO ... since constipation is a issue I would suggest 1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

IMHO ... since constipation is a issue I would suggest 1
That's kind of what I'm leaning towards. I am worried that a constant FF diet is ultimatly not good for him. Since it seems that he has the possiblity of a longer life span than I origianly thought, I feel better if he is eating at least one healthy meal a day.

I should add that an all wet food diet seems to work for his constipation. I will try the grain free wet again now that he is feeling good.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

That's kind of what I'm leaning towards. I am worried that a constant FF diet is ultimatly not good for him. Since it seems that he has the possiblity of a longer life span than I origianly thought, I feel better if he is eating at least one healthy meal a day.

I should add that an all wet food diet seems to work for his constipation. I will try the grain free wet again now that he is feeling good.
Plenty of cats have done just fine on all Fancy Feast. We saw a vet in Iowa (cat vet) who suggested all FF for my cats at the time because it was a wet food they liked well. Nabu wouldn't eat the "healthy" brands if they were the last can of cat food on the planet.

I guess, given Jordan's issues, I would run both options past his vet and see what the vet suggests.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well this past weekend he decided that the dry food just wasn't going to fly. So it's back to FF. He's been doing so well I try to pick my battles with him. As much as I like feeding him the grain free dry I don't think it's going to happen. I also think Maggie has decided that she wants nothing to do with the grain free dry. It's unfortunate, but the King & the Princess have spoken and neither are amused at my attempts to feed them healthy food.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats didn't like low-carb dry food either. As soon as the novelty wore off they would stop eating it. A few of the brands they wouldn't even taste test.
It says it all when Nabu walks up, sniffs, makes a face, and buries it.
The ones they did like, didn't agree with Stimpy.

dusty0463

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you ever thought about feeding him Evo Wet food?? My cat is going bonkers for this stuff!!! If however, your cat thrives on fancy feast and isn't obese or has allergy problems, then FF is probably fine, but if he's obese, has allergies is a diabetic etc, then EVO would probably be better... I just depends on the cat though...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i got the Royal Canin dry at the pet store last time, to try... Pixel gives it a
! [she's one of my dry only girls].

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dusty0463

Have you ever thought about feeding him Evo Wet food?? My cat is going bonkers for this stuff!!! If however, your cat thrives on fancy feast and isn't obese or has allergy problems, then FF is probably fine, but if he's obese, has allergies is a diabetic etc, then EVO would probably be better... I just depends on the cat though...
He will eat the cat/kitten flavor sometimes. The chicken flavor gave him the runs very bad. This morning he cracked me up because he decided that he needed 2nd breakfast so he ate a little dry too. Some days one breakfast is not enough. He is not obese but used to be over weight. He's lost some weight with is many episodes of not eating at all. He seems to be doing well on FF and it really does seem to keep him regualr too.