Going on a cruise

dina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

I just booked a cruise for my hubby and me in Nov of this year. I am so excited!!!

we went on a cruise last year for our honeymoon and we had a ball. this year we are cruising with royal caribbean and going to the southern and eastern caribbeans for 12 nights. I cant wait!!!!

Last year we went with carnival and it was great! has anyone cruised with royal caribbean??? what do you think about them??

dina

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always wanted to go on a cruise! I hear they are really nice! We have been talking about going on one some time. Sounds like so much fun! Hope you guys have a wonderful time!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've been on about 20 cruises.

Royal Caribbean is famous for its entertainment. If you're ever going to see a "name" on a ship, it's probably there. The Captain and Tenille, for example, have done RCL cruises.

Every cruise line is different, and every ship is different, so you just have to try them to see what you like. Our favorite is Princess, due to the lower passenger density, but I've never been on a cruise that was worse than being at work.

I used to work on a cruise web site, and if you did a google search on my name, you might still find articles and reviews I've written.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. i think we will have a blast. we are going out of NJ cuz i am SCARED of flying. really bad!!! so we are going to 7 ports (san juan, st thomas, st marteen, antiqua, barbados, tortola, and dominica)

dina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

We've been on about 20 cruises.

Royal Caribbean is famous for its entertainment. If you're ever going to see a "name" on a ship, it's probably there. The Captain and Tenille, for example, have done RCL cruises.

Every cruise line is different, and every ship is different, so you just have to try them to see what you like. Our favorite is Princess, due to the lower passenger density, but I've never been on a cruise that was worse than being at work.

I used to work on a cruise web site, and if you did a google search on my name, you might still find articles and reviews I've written.
cool! i think i will do that! sounds like an exciting job!
my parents have been on so many cruises too. they havent been on RCL. their fav is holland america.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I've been to most of those ports. I'd have to check.

We have cruises going out of Galveston, so we just drive down there. Saves a pile of money.

I hope you got it cheap. If not, ask me how!

dina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the cruise wasnt too bad! we also got a balcony state room so that cost us a little bit more. but no airfare since we are driving down to NJ.

overall, i think we got a real good price.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay for cruises! Hubby and I went on one in February for our honeymoon to the eastern caribbean for 7 days. We cruised with Carnival to Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

I actually thought Carnival was much more exciting than Royal Caribbean. Granted, I was 12 when I went on a cruise with my family on RC, but for the price, I think we got a lot more from the Carnival cruise! It cost $7,000 for 4 people for an interior stateroom for a 7 day cruise on RC in 1999! We are saving up for another Carnival cruise in 2009 - probably western caribbean this time, and once we've got in a routine with mortgage payments and bills, we'll be saving for an Alaskan cruise in 2010

When we booked our 7 days eastern with the travel agent, the price for RC was twice that of Carnival!! I guess it depends on what you really want to do on the cruise. Carnival was definitely more of a "fun ship" (like they call themselves), and I think RC is more of a relax and have quiet ship.

Have fun!!
I'm already attempting to count down until our next one!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Carnival says they could give away the cabins and still make a profit. Royal Caribbean is one of the few cruise lines they DON'T own. The own Princess, Holland America, Costa Cruises, Cunard, Seabourn, AIDA, P&O, and Ocean Village.

With a little planning and the right timing, we can go on 4 day cruises on Carnival out of Galveston for $259 per person, and 7 day cruises as low as $295 (but usually about $459) out of Galveston.

dina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
^ WOW those are some crazy deals! i wish....i would go on one every month ehhehee.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It has been calculated that it's cheaper to live on a cruise ship than in a retirement home. A lot of ships have one or two "permanent" passengers, usually elderly women.

But the prices I quoted are less than you'd pay to stay at the Holiday Inn and eat at Denny's.

Best deal I ever saw? Seven day cruise, plus airfare from Dallas, all for $250. It was a last-minute deal on a ship that an agent absconded with the money for the charter of the entire ship.