Do They Come When Called?

sammiesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sammie does almost all the time, even when she is out on the lanai (her favorite place).

The times she does not come are very few and far between.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only one of my cats is an indoor/outdoor the rest are indoor only. When I call Joey my outdoor he usually comes right away unless he's over at the farm visiting his buddies
My indoor cats all come when called, but I think that is food motivated

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine respond to their names but don't come when called. My cousin and her husband have a DLH named Spooky who *does* come when he's called -- I suspect the dogs (wolf-German Shepherd hybrid and Rottie) rubbed off on him.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and both Ling and Charlie answer you first 95% of the time - the other time they don't is when they don't want to be found...they are playing "hide from mom" game

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I call for them, they both usually come prancing along, I think, like Helen said - its food motivated

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine does. Brady will come when called. I swear sometimes he thinks he is a dog! Maybe it comes from living with two dogs? He even begs at the table!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, all three of ours come when they're called.
Actually, Gracie comes no matter who you call.
I think she thinks her Brother or Sister might be getting a treat and she doesn't want to miss out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammiesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think Sammie has realized that there is something of interest to her when I call. Either there is the neighborhood cat at the window side panel by the front door, or there is a lizard outside a window, or a bug...

She knows Momma is calling for a reason.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't know that i'd say they come when called... but they do usually show up w/in my field of vision. not always, of course - they're cats!

tempteq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cats are trained to know that a kissy noise means food (simple Pavlovian conditioning thing). So they'll both come running to a kissy noise.

Milo comes when I call his name.

Cat only comes if she thinks she'll get food out of it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tempteq

Our cats are trained to know that a kissy noise means food (simple Pavlovian conditioning thing). So they'll both come running to a kissy noise.
Firefox comes for that, 'cause i fed her in isolation for a long time... that's how i called her to the bathroom for her 'special' food [otherwise piggy big bro Chip would've eaten it in a flash!].

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ours are indoor only. If we call any of our kitties, they'll usually look at us if they're in the same room.

If I'm in the kitchen and call them for dinner or treats, they come.

For us, we've found the maxim "dogs come when called, cats take a message and get back to you" to be pretty much the truth. (Unless they're pretty sure food is involved!)

Laurie

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine all come when I call them unless they are busy stalking a bug or something. I recently discovered that Zara responds more quickly to Zar Zar. I think because the "Zar" part is what is most distinctive about her name as opposed to the others names.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every single time I call my cats and have food they come. If I call without food it's a dice roll. Usually they do but if they're super comfy and napping I'm wasting my breath. Of course, if I were napping comfortably I wouldn't get up to answer me either.

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine is an outdoor cat and always comes when called. Usually when my boyfriend and I get home we walk up to our home calling her name and within minutes she always comes running along.
She'll even follow us if we walk in a certain direction and call her to come along!

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of ours except the newest one comes at a whistle and/or their names. Mine never go far from the house and my biggest female likes to sit and watch the rabbits. she chases them, but never catches them.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine all know their individual names and usually come when called. Noira doesn't always come but will look and meow and talk to me and sometimes get all rolly wherever she is at. Eliott will come no matter who's name you call if he is in the mood, otherwise he ignores and keeps on sleeping unless he hears HIS name.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the kittens will generally come when called especially if they think food is involved!

my dh and i have this thing with tabitha now that if she is in the garden we will call 'tab tab tab' over and over and she will run down the garden to us with her little cat bot legs going nineteen to the dozen! it's the funniest thing!