Want to adopt an OLD stray cat, but NEED your opinion

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello All,

I need your help/opinion. I have this old stray cat that is outside of my door all the time and two days ago I decided to take her to the vet to have her checked out. The vet said she is about est. 15 years old, eye sight is really bad, dehydrated, very skinny (6 lbs only), kidneys are not good, bad teeth (no front upper teeth), scratchy voice, wobbles a bit when walking. A senior blood sample was done on her and everything checks out ok but her kidneys are not good. Also, result shows she has FIP antibodies. The vet wants to be sure so we did another blood just to be sure and the result came back negative. BUT vet said the exam is not 100% accurate, no test is.

So my question is, should I bring the cat in and risk possible transmission of FIP to Rupert and Stewie? I don't know. I want to help the stray because she is so old. What is your take on this? Anyone dealt with FIP or possible scenario like this? I could just take her in and let her stay in one of the spare bathroom. Of course, I will provide litter, bed, food and water for her. But the spare bathroom is not big. Is this humane? What would you do? I don't know what to do. I do not wish to put Stewie and Rupert at risk either. Your opinion is much appreciated. Thank you.

Oh, she is very friendly, loves to be pet, eats and drinks outside our door. The name is Puffy.

Puffy

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww poor thing, I think she'd love a good home for her last days. The wikipedia article on FIP says this:

Quarantine is not necessary as FIP is not truly an infectious disease. Feline Enteric Coronavirus is shed in the feces and can be passed on to other cats, however, it is the mutated form of the virus that leads to FIP. This form is only found in macrophages and is therefore not shed and not contagious.
It looks only kitties with compromised immune systems are likely to get it, which is most probably how poor Puffy got it, being old and outdoors. Did you ask your vet about how likely she'd be to transmit it to your boys?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Awww poor thing, I think she'd love a good home for her last days. The wikipedia article on FIP says this:

It looks only kitties with compromised immune systems are likely to get it, which is most probably how poor Puffy got it, being old and outdoors. Did you ask your vet about how likely she'd be to transmit it to your boys?
The vet was kinda vague about it. Since the result came back negative, she said it is ok to take her in BUT don't let her lick your other cats too much or hang out too much. HUH? Yea, I am just baffled.....

I am now thinking just leave her in the bathroom for the time being so she is not exposed to outdoor dangers, being blind and all.

Oh, the vet said it is possible that she had a vaccination of FIP before that is why antibodies show up in the results. But what she said later kinda worries me.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I've read, the likelyhood of transmission is small. They not only have to have a compromised immune system, but also the genetic tendancy to develop FIP. Most cats when exposed to the corona virus just get a kitty cold if anything.

She looks like a lovely old tabby girl. I imagine that's what my Bella will look like when she gets on.

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can afford to keep her and she'll be OK living with your cats then I'd say yes.

Keep her in the one room for the time being and gradually introduce her to the rest of the house.

Try not to make any changes to your house though, as she can't see very well and may bump into things.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um... I've noted that she has a name. A CUTE name.

I'd say if you are willing to do it go for it. Just so that you understand the risks and all that is involved.

She looks very sweet.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say take her in and if you are really worried about the FIP have her live in the spare room. For now she may not even want or need a large space to live in. I know people who have cats that spent their entire life in one room. No it's not ideal, but she is near the end of her life and I think it would be good for her to know warmth and love in her last days. Not to mention safer if she can't see very well.

FIP is just a mutatation of the carona (SP?) virus. A lot of cats will come back positive for the antibodies. The vet probably can't give any difinitive answers because FIP is still somewhat of a mystery. I don't know that I would mix her with my other cats but if I had a spare room I would make her as comfortable as possible.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is possible, please take her in. I rescued an old stray awhile back, and I could not have lived with myself if I had just turned him back out or taken him to a shelter. He was old, toothless, front declawed and sick. He had ended up in the parking lot at work, and after I caught some teenagers abusing him, I took him home. He preferred living in the laundry room, so I made him a box, gave him his own food and water dishes and let him live out what turned to be a very short time in warmth, love, and well fed. He was a sweet cat, and I am so glad I helped him. He finally became so ill he was suffering, so we helped him to the Bridge. I cannot imagine how he came to be in that position, but I am glad he ended up with me.

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my, she is a cutie... I would take her in, if you can. I don't know anything about the virus, but it sounds like people here do.
I think it would be a great thing for you to do, to make her comfortable in the last part of her life.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are Rupert and Stewie vaccinated against FIP? I know not everyone vaccinates for FIP (or vaccinates in general), but I know when my cats were at risk for FIP I had them vaccinated. Of course, vaccinations are not fool proof, but they may help to prevent it. I would bring her in even if it is just to live in 1 room if there are no other reasons that you cannot.

meownstuff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too know nothing about the virus but agree with what others have already said. If you have the spare bedroom I would definately take her in. At her age and in her condition she'd probabally more than welcome the safety and warmth of her own little room. Not to mention the love and attention you'd give her too.

Good luck! I hope all turns out well for all parties involved!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a garage-perhaps being an outside kitty she would feel comfortable in there instead of the house??

Otherwise I too would bring her in. Several yrs ago a stray appeared at my house-old, skinny, a funky curled tail I brought her in (no vet visit) she ate, the other cats didn't bother her or vice versa. Just found a chair and slept. She stayed for about a couple of weeks then one day she went outside and never came back. I thought she knew she was at the end of her life and wanted some human comfort at the end.

Do what you can to make her comfortable.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her in. The test is for the Corona Virus, and having antibodies for that doesn't mean that they will develop FIP, and even if they pass the virus on, it doens't mean it will mutate, the majority of cats can deal with it and shed the virus, and will then be immune to it. It mainly only affects the very young and very old, so the likelihood is that with her current state, it woudl have mutated and made her very ill by now (wet FIP is very quick, and cats normally only have a matter of weeks with it)

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with everyone else - take Puffy in!!! She's a pretty tabby, BTW.

I'd be more concerned about her kidneys than anything else right now. If you're willing to hydrate her (also called sub-Q fluids) it could help her *tremendously*. (I hope the vet gave her fluids when you brought her in.) You'll see significant changes in her weight, appetite, energy level. Sub-Q's give cats with kidney disease quality of life, and can extend their lives. Along with hydration there are meds that can be given to help the kidneys.

Have the vet check her blood pressure - this is often a problem with kidney disease - it could be the reason for her poor eyesight.

I wouldn't worry too much about Puffy being in a small room, if need be. There's no debate about what's better for her - being outside to fend for herself, or living in a cozy room with lots of TLC. Go for it!

PS- Bless you!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second, third and fourth everything that's been said here. Taking her in in the twilight of her life would be a blessing on your head ( and hers).

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks so much like our Chavela, my parents's kitty who passed away in 1989 at the age of 14.
Follow your good instinct and give her a home! Have your other kitties vaccinated, keep Puffy in one room, whatever it takes... but she will surely be happier indoors, with a loving mom who spends time with her and gives her soft, warm food that won't hurt her mouth. Thank you for caring for her!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I would just ask if you can afford to bring her in? With all her health issues will you be able to pay for the veterinary care required. If it's just a simple matter of bringing her in and giving her a place to be safe and warm until she passes, then yes, definitely bring her in.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your great opinions. I have decided not to take her in. I just can't risk of other disease/parasite that she might have and pass it on to Rupert and Stewie. But don't worry I am giving the best care I can for her and she will be my outside cat. I am getting a table for my yard and a dog house with waterproof pillows for her. There will always be food and water outside. I am already feeding her wet food morning and night. I will also be purchasing senior special diet can food just for her.

I now spend at least 30 minutes morning and night to pet her and feed her. Also, at the same time I am giving her antibiotics (from vet) to help her with her kidney problems. I did give her a sub-q treatment at the vet. She seems happier now and stays in our patio almost 24 hours a day except when she needs to go to the bathroom. She is currently using the cardboard box I made (see picture) but will be upgraded to a dog house soon. I will update pictures soon once all is setup.

I really really really want to take her in that is why I took her to vet and spent hundreds in the first place. But Rupert and Stewie have to come first. Thanks again for all of your suggestions. Thank you!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to do what you feel is right. At least she has a loving caretaker.

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

You have to do what you feel is right. At least she has a loving caretaker.
Thanks. I will do my best to make her life easier outside. Going to make some purchases soon for her new home outside.