Is this normal?!

baby-freckles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I know cats can sense when something is not right with their owners, but last night, me and my partner had an arguement. I went upstairs to bed and was crying. Smudge came and laid on my chest (she normally does this in the mornings when she wants feeding!) and started to lick my face (Im assuming she was licking my tears?!) then all of a sudden she bite my face. It wasnt a hard bite, and it didnt really leave a mark, but I was just wondering if this thing is normal behaviour for cats?

Any advice would be much apprieciated xx

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could have been a grooming bite - cats will do this to each other, or if you were making noise while crying she could have been trying to use that to make you be quiet - as a cat would with her kitten.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol my old roommates cats did that. i took it as a

It's ok...
Don't worry everything will be fine..
DARNIT IM TALKING TO YOU I SAID EVERYTHING WAS FINE NOW STOP CRYING!!!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Could have been a grooming bite - cats will do this to each other, or if you were making noise while crying she could have been trying to use that to make you be quiet - as a cat would with her kitten.
Yes it could very well be that
Cats pick up when were stressed or upset as well, so it could have been a love bite to let you know she's there for you also

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pepper gets over excited when she is in lovey mode, and will sometimes nip a little. She is easily over stimulated, so I have to watch her. She doesn't hurt me, I would just rather not take the chance, so I have learned to watch for her small signals. Tail twitches, whisker twitches, more intense nose rubbing are the main ones.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ouch!!!!! People have said when cats get too stimulated they bite. It is just too much for them so that is the way they express that feeling.

Mine gives love bites, but they are nice, gentle, and don't last long. Buuut if you pet her belly, she likes this, but if you pet her belly for too long she will bite on you (not nice and very different from love bites) in a playful way, not with malice.

I would guess your cat was overstimulated at that time.