switching litters

jandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have suggestions about switching litter brands? I am going from Tidy Cat clay to WBCL....big difference!! I just want to make sure their transition from one to the other is as stress free as possible.
Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try mixing... that may be kind of messy. I've never had to transition mine over.
They'll use anything that's in the litter box, including the empty box itself if I'm a bit slow at fetching the litter out of the garage.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just finished transitioning from clay litter to WBCL, and I took my sweet time on purpose to avoid litterbox avoidance issues.

Start with a 25% WBCL to clay, then at each change, increase the WBCL amount and decrease the clay litter accordingly.

I started in November and have just finished transitioning three litterboxes - I started with just one box, then when I upped the WBCL content in that one, I started on the next box, etc.

Now we have happy kitties AND a happy me, the dust issues are no more, and except for the occasional stinkfest after a poop, all is well with the WBCL - and I'm already seeing a savings over what I was spending on clay litters.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jandm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you mix the 2 together? Or just put the 25% of the WBCL on top?
I started sprinkling a little bit on top and their little noses are going crazy!!!! But no avoidance!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JandM

Did you mix the 2 together? Or just put the 25% of the WBCL on top?
I started sprinkling a little bit on top and their little noses are going crazy!!!! But no avoidance!
I mixed well.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd use 2 boxes - one mixed and one all new litter. I've personally never had any issues changing litter in all my 40 years of having cats but I may just have been very lucky. By using the 2 boxes you will be able to determine if they use the new litter. I'm assuming you already use at least 2 boxes of course. We use 2 boxes for 2 cats (3 would be better but have no place for a third box).