The adventure with the Sonicare toothbrush...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With out getting into it I need to get extensive dental work done in the next few months. While at the dentist they sold me on the idea that I needed a $100 tooth brush to make sure my mouth is extra clean.

Here are some things you should know:

1. I've never owned a battery operated tooth brush.
2. This specific type of battery operated tooth brush is fancy. Very fancy.
3. It sounds like an airplane taking off.

I come home from the dentist in a state of shock and plug the thing in to charge. At that point I notice that it has three different modes. I've already thrown away the manual because I thought it would be obvious. I mean I've been brushing my teeth for sometime now. How difficult can it be?

Two hours later I walk in to use it. I select Max Care, put the tooth paste on it and turn it on. This was my mistake. I turned it on OUTSIDE of my mouth. Tooth paste flew everywhere followed by the loudest sounding thing I'd ever had in my bathroom. I turned it off. It took me a half an hour to scrape the tooth paste off my ceiling. At that point I dug the manual out of the trash and read up on this technological wonder.

My Sonicare and I are now friends.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm glad you finally read the manual.
Who knows what could have happened if you just stuck it in your mouth and turned it on?

So did the kitties help with the cleanup?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I'm glad you finally read the manual.
Who knows what could have happened if you just stuck it in your mouth and turned it on?

So did the kitties help with the cleanup?
Oh yes... but they are scared of the thing when it's on. Most of the time I get "supervision" when in the bathroom, but in the post-Sonicare era they tend to hover around the door and peep in.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have never used the Sonicare toothbrush, but just the other electric one and I dont think they have that much power!!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I have the Sonicare...it's good for cleaning jewelry too
That's good to know! I'll get another pack of brush heads and set one aside for that! Thank you!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Braun Oral B, came out before the Sonicare, but I think they are pretty close. The sound of my Oral B toothbrush makes the kitties think it is time for treats, as I usually brush my teeth before heading out the door, and I give kitty treats on my way out.

I think you'll be amazed at how clean this brush keeps your teeth - you'll NEVER go back to regular brushes!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the hygienist at my dentist also keeps pushing the Sonicare. 100 bucks is a lot of money... and I don't have problems with my teeth... a little bit with my gums, but that is as much a factor of age than it is brushing.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
at the toothpaste flying everywhere. That happened to me in the beginning, too.

I had the Sonicare, and I liked it, but it broke after eight months or so.
I went back to manual brushing and my teeth have been just as healthy as they were before. I don't see myself buying another, but I know lots of folks who've had success with it.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use one of the cheapie electric brushes... I love it. After going through several of them... I finally found one with a rechargeable base so I don't have to pry open the battery compartment to get to the batteries... The first couple, I just threw away because i couldn't change the heads or the batteries... too much paste gunk built up inside... this rechargeable one is nice... and I can get the heads changed easily enough.

Although i have always turn it on inside my mouth, I can certainly picture the mess made by turning it on outside. Same goes for the waterpik... my hygienist suggested that for me, since i loath flossing (ahh, the aftermath of braces - teeth too close together for flossing)... works wonderfully... although I have to make sure the button is held down if i turn it on outside my mouth...

So, has our 8-Bit actually calmed down enough so there's no more antics?? I haven't seen stories in ages (and yes, I check the other sub-forum for cat stories).

Amanda

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I use one of the cheapie electric brushes... I love it. After going through several of them... I finally found one with a rechargeable base so I don't have to pry open the battery compartment to get to the batteries... The first couple, I just threw away because i couldn't change the heads or the batteries... too much paste gunk built up inside... this rechargeable one is nice... and I can get the heads changed easily enough.

Although i have always turn it on inside my mouth, I can certainly picture the mess made by turning it on outside. Same goes for the waterpik... my hygienist suggested that for me, since i loath flossing (ahh, the aftermath of braces - teeth too close together for flossing)... works wonderfully... although I have to make sure the button is held down if i turn it on outside my mouth...

So, has our 8-Bit actually calmed down enough so there's no more antics?? I haven't seen stories in ages (and yes, I check the other sub-forum for cat stories).

Amanda
8-Bit has slowed a bit, but when he does something it's huge. He's turned into a wonderful gray cat that loves to sleep right next to me. I'm a very proud mewomy.

BTW, what kind of water pick do you have?

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

8-Bit has slowed a bit, but when he does something it's huge. He's turned into a wonderful gray cat that loves to sleep right next to me. I'm a very proud mewomy.

BTW, what kind of water pick do you have?
Awwww.... well, when he does something, you'll have to let us know... we still love having our 8-Bit fixes of humor.

As for the waterpik... it's that brand: Waterpik, model #WP-100... the most basic one i could find... noisy little bugger, but it works...

if you get one, just remember: hold button down if pik is outside of your mouth, and stand hunched over the sink... trust me on that one... I keep my mouth open just enough...

Amanda

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved my Sonicare toothbrush. I say "loved" because I no longer have it. Once the battery dies you have to throw the whole thing out and buy a new one because the batteries are not replacable!

http://www.sonicare.com/owners/advan..._recycling.asp

I found out through googling that the life of the battery is about 2 or 3 years. Then you have to throw it out and buy a whole new Sonicare toothbrush!

I was not at all impressed by that fact given that they aren't cheap to buy!!