Vogue Foods!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever since I was a little kid my favourite part of a roast chicken has always been the wings. At family dinners no one wanted them except for me.

I was a Safeway today and decided to buy some chicken wings for dinner, and I couldn't believe the price! They've become outrageously expensive now that they are considered "vogue" to eat.

What other foods do you know of that have become "vogue" over the years and have sky rocketed in price because of it?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milk
I swear every time i go to the grocery store it's more expensive! I can't have the regular stuff eithor- i drink the Lactaid Fat Free milk so that stuff's always pricy.

Ground Beef and certain cuts of meat i've also noticed have gone up, some veggies as well. I think a lot of the issue is that it costs soo much money to produce and transport food, so when gas goes up- we feel it in every single aspect, including our pocketbooks when we hit the grocery store.

uesugi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just last night at Kroger I noticed that Brussels sprouts and blueberries were 5x what I remember them being 10 years ago. I don't know if they're seasonal or what, but I can't afford them.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
blueberries will get cheaper as summer gets closer. i rarely buy them this early 'cause they're so pricey.
ok, mine is a weird one, 'cause i hardly ever eat them, being allergic - but crawfish! this past Christmas, NO ONE brought crawfish casserole, one of my favorite Christmas treats, because the crawfish were so expensive - & this was in south louisiana! [i can have shellfish about every 6 months, so the Christmas trip & one in the summer are when i usually indulge...]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Boneless skinless chicken breasts. I used to use them all the time and now theyre so expensive I only buy them if theyre on sale! (And eggs, sheesh)
Oh yes! Boneless chicken breasts too! Less than 10 years ago I used to be able to buy a package of 4 for about $4.00. Now a package of 3 if double that!

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken and fruits and veggies. With the birds, we have to buy alot of veggies and fruit and it can get pretty expensive.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It must be my part of the US but prices aren't too bad!!

When I visited my sis last week and went to Kroger and Harris Teeter-I gasped at some of the prices.

I went shopping yesterday at a Wisconsin grocery store chain-Woodmans

Butter-local brand $1.79/pound
1 doz large eggs $1.56
Tropicana OJ- 3 qt jug $4.39
1 pt 1/2 and 1/2-79 cents
green grapes $1.39/lb
whole pineapple $2.99
24 oz cottage cheese $2.29
Cheeze-it crackers sale 2/$3.00

I buy most of my meat from a local butcher shop or watch the sales I can usually get ground check $1.69/lb and boneless chix breast $1.89/lb

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Boneless skinless chicken breasts. I used to use them all the time and now theyre so expensive I only buy them if theyre on sale! (And eggs, sheesh)
No kidding!!!

Also..... artichoke hearts!!!! Now why would those be pricey....come on! I love them!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I
Butter-local brand $1.79/pound
1 doz large eggs $1.56
Tropicana OJ- 3 qt jug $4.39
1 pt 1/2 and 1/2-79 cents
green grapes $1.39/lb
whole pineapple $2.99
24 oz cottage cheese $2.29

I buy most of my meat from a local butcher shop or watch the sales I can usually get ground check $1.69/lb and boneless chix breast $1.89/lb
If you multiply these by three you will have the prices we pay here in Victoria.
I spend $1500+ a month for groceries for the three of us!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Yep, eggs are insane! $3US per dozen for the cheap ones - geez.
!!!!!Oh my goodness!!!!! Our eggs went up, but they are still only $1.19-$1.99 for the extra large!

(Iowa is the number one egg producer though, at least that's what a US record book said)

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shop at FoodMaxx or WinCo.. both are discount food stores

Here is some of what I got recently

Shedds Spread Country Crock 1.98
Baby Carrots 2 lbs 1.88
18 pk large eggs 3.13
French onion/bacon dip 1.79
familysize ruffles potato chips 3.48
1 lb+ grnd beef 85% ex lean 3.64
loaf cheap bread 0.78

I normally save around 25% shopping at the discount stores. I stay away from the big chains since they are soooo expensive and I can get the exact same thing at a lower price.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

I normally save around 25% shopping at the discount stores. I stay away from the big chains since they are soooo expensive and I can get the exact same thing at a lower price.
So do I, I shop at Aldi or Lidl these days! I could never afford $1,500 on groceries, we spend about 150 Euros a month if that!

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never buy fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts anymore because it costs me almost $8 for one package of three. I usually buy the bags of the frozen ones that are like $10 but you get 6 or 8 of them. Eggs are crazy too, and the packaging has gotten worse. They come in this plastic thing now - I'm lucky if I get home without at least one breaking.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

chicken is sooo expensive!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummm...I spend about $400 per month on food for 2 people...to me every food is now vogue

Wow, send some of those $3 eggs! I just upgrade to the 2.5 dozen since it $5...only 10 cents more than the 1.5 dozen (we go thru eggs like no tomorrow!)

Tomatoes are $2.99/lb here as well as most veggies and fruit...but it's the East Coast. You take a job, earn 15% more and pay 30% more on everything.