How to brush a cat's belly area?

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat allows me to brush him everywhere but his belly. How do I get him to allow that?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well.... it depends on the cat! if it's my Pixel, all you have to do is show her the brush... anyone else, you do it at your own risk!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming your cat is a long hair. I train all my cats (short or long) to stand on 2 back feet and comb the belly while holding the front legs.

If your cat has knots or tangles, then you will have to get them out first. Probably have to have one person hold the cat on the back, one to comb. Once the tangles are out, you can train them to stand on 2 legs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

well.... it depends on the cat! if it's my Pixel, all you have to do is show her the brush... anyone else, you do it at your own risk!
I should probably forget combing his belly for now. He doesn't trust me to touch his belly yet.

mercury_quirks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'm assuming your cat is a long hair. I train all my cats (short or long) to stand on 2 back feet and comb the belly while holding the front legs.

If your cat has knots or tangles, then you will have to get them out first. Probably have to have one person hold the cat on the back, one to comb. Once the tangles are out, you can train them to stand on 2 legs.
How do you go about doing this? Just try and hope? As soon as my boyfriend has some time we're going to try the "wrap in a towel" method to trim my Bandit's claws, but that doesn't work for de-tangling his belly.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to do a little at a time - depends on how bad the belly is. If too bad, take him to a groomer to get it fixed right - then train to stand on 2 feet.

Basically you just firmly hold the cat against you and stretch them out and comb down. I could probably show you better then type it. But I've watched many longhair show people groom their cats this way

I did own a Turkish Angora and did the same thing to him as a kitten to teach him to accept grooming.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/how-to-...at/page1.aspx#

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
patchy doesnt show her belly to anyone but chloe rolls over and lets my brush hers with the zoom groom

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JC loved grooming as a kitten, but when he hit 15lbs, his attitude changed in many ways, esp. with being carried around & grooming
Doesn't go with his self-image of being a James Bond/BorderCollie cross

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree - it depends on the kitty. Our Bijou will even let us vacuum him and we can give him "raspberries" on the tummy but I highly doubt Mika would allow it.