I'm As Nervous As A First-Time Mom!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salem is the first cat I've had who's going to have babies, and I'm getting so nervous about the upcoming event!
I wish I knew what to look for - like how will I know when she's ready?
And how will I know if she's in pain, or having any problems with the delivery??
I haven't slept very much the past few nights, b/c I'm afraid she'll need my "help" or something, and I want to be awake when the time comes. I wish I knew for sure what to expect..

I'm more nervous about Salem having her babies, then I was when I delivered my son!

~KK~

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your girl. Do you have any idea when she was bred? The average is 63 days from the day bred to the day they deliver. Sophie showed all the classic signs before delivery.
About 48 hours before delivery Sophie was looking desperatly for a place to nest she even got stuck behind the refridgerator and television so I had to confine her to a kennel.
36 hours before delivery I noticed her belly had dropped. Instead of being fat and wide like she the babies were hanging low and she didn't look pregnant from the top anymore.
24 hours before delivery she had bags of milk and her nipples were more swollen and pinker than they had been.
5 minutes before delivery I noticed her mucus plug (they usually loose this 12 or less hours before delivery)

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

Good luck with your girl. Do you have any idea when she was bred? The average is 63 days from the day bred to the day they deliver. Sophie showed all the classic signs before delivery.
About 48 hours before delivery Sophie was looking desperatly for a place to nest she even got stuck behind the refridgerator and television so I had to confine her to a kennel.
36 hours before delivery I noticed her belly had dropped. Instead of being fat and wide like she the babies were hanging low and she didn't look pregnant from the top anymore.
24 hours before delivery she had bags of milk and her nipples were more swollen and pinker than they had been.
5 minutes before delivery I noticed her mucus plug (they usually loose this 12 or less hours before delivery)

Good luck!
I really have no idea when conception took place.
Salem was one of my strays, and I decided to adopt her when I noticed she was pregnant b/c I didn't want her to have her babies outside somewhere.
(she actually belonged to the next-door neighbors, and I "stole" her, b/c they weren't taking care of her or any of their other cats.
Maybe it's not "right" for me to do so, but they don't deserve her or ANY animal, for that matter.
). Anyway, I'm just guessing as to when she conceived...

Thanks for the detailed list of what to look out for, Lindsey!
That at least gives me some idea what to look for.

~KK~