Cat doesn't eat treat?

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bought some treats for my cat but he doesn't eat it. He looks excited when I get the bag and open it, but he won't eat it out of my hand (usually will eat his dry food off my hand). If I put the treat on the floor, he will lick the thing a few times, and then shows no more interest. He won't eat it. If I mix it with the food, then he seems to eat it with the rest of his dinner.
Is this a normal behavior from a cat?

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are quite picky, and sometimes it will take me a week of giving them the same treat every day before they decide to eat one. And some they won't eat at all regardless.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yiplong

Bought some treats for my cat but he doesn't eat it. He looks excited when I get the bag and open it, but he won't eat it out of my hand (usually will eat his dry food off my hand). If I put the treat on the floor, he will lick the thing a few times, and then shows no more interest. He won't eat it. If I mix it with the food, then he seems to eat it with the rest of his dinner.
When Alley arrived here from the rescue center she would only eat dry food. She will eat nothing else, not even fresh fish. Persi is such a big beggar and will eat anything and I do mean anything. It makes me feel guilty but Alley is not interested in any kind of treat at all.

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat will not eat anything marketed at a "cat treat". The only treat he will eat is fresh meat or a cooked egg. Spoiled!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
mine are all different: everyone likes the Kitty Kaviar [shaved tuna]. Java LOVES Wildside Salmon [& people salmon, too!]. Cable likes those, plus cheezy treats. Chip & Firefox seem to like most everything. Pixel's favorite treat, tho, is people chicken or turkey - not lunch meat, but actual strips pulled of the piece of chicken/turkey. i got her fried chicken [took off the skin!] when she wasn't eating during her UTI.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What type of treats are they? Some cats are very picky and if it's bland or funky smelling treat they may not like it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

What type of treats are they? Some cats are very picky and if it's bland or funky smelling treat they may not like it.
It was pounce Perks crunchy, tuna/salmon flavor.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It can take some experimentation to find out what kind of treats a cat likes. Maybe he doesn't like fish - you could try chicken or cheese flavored treats instead.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have one cat that likes treats, and one that just flat won't eat any of them. In fact, if we put them in his food, he won't eat his regular food, either. Cats have taste preferences, and they are very individual.

If you want to give him a treat, try a number of different brands and flavors. You may find one he likes. If not, don't feel bad about it; he's just not interested.

Other than that, hows the kitty doing?

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

We have one cat that likes treats, and one that just flat won't eat any of them. In fact, if we put them in his food, he won't eat his regular food, either. Cats have taste preferences, and they are very individual.

If you want to give him a treat, try a number of different brands and flavors. You may find one he likes. If not, don't feel bad about it; he's just not interested.

Other than that, hows the kitty doing?
He's doing great, continues to hump my stuffed dog happily and meow in satisfaction afterwards.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only treat my kitten Church really likes is the chewable 'cat vitamins' I bought!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

The only treat my kitten Church really likes is the chewable 'cat vitamins' I bought!
At least s/he's healthy!

I've never had much luck with the Pounce.
My 4 all like the Whisker Lickin's, especially the Milk and Cheese (crunchy with soft center) or the Chicken and Cheese (soft). I really only have one who LOVES the real dried fish treats (Mojo gets "fishy treats" after a claw clip, so she's much more patient about it), and Trent will kinda eat the fish treats.

They don't know that some things are labelled "cat treats" and that means they are supposed to like it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the pounce treats haven't changed much in the last 8 or 9 years, then they still smell as awful as they used to. So I wouldn't blame a cat for turning their nose up at them.

Some of the other members here use higher quality treats and their cats like those brands, so it's just a matter of trying different stuff.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I use the "expensive" treats, but Church turns up his nose! He doesn't like Ziwipeak treats (or their cat food samples we got.) He doesn't like Holistic Blend treats. He doesn't like Zuke's Minis... He doesn't even like freeze-dried Wildside 100% Salmon very much!
Yet he's just crazy for those Nu-Cat vitamin chews!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only treats mine like are Kra-mar chicken chews for dogs. Made from 100% dried chicken, so it's safe for cats too.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are so obsessed with treats! In fact, they will beat each other up for a treat. I had to stop giving them treats because of the violence that ensued. They don't fight like this over their regular food; just treats. They will eat any brand too.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yiplong

Is this a normal behavior from a cat?
Yes sometimes when I try a new treat, my cat gets all excited when I open the bag. But when I put the treat down, he sniffs it and walks away. It's normal.

I suggest trying a different kind of treat. My little guy likes Foster's & Smith or Whole Life brand freeze-dried salmon.

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mixed the treat with his food and he still won't eat it. He picks all the meow mix out of the bowl and leaves the treat.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy will pretty much eat any treat, but my girl is very picky - I've tried cheap treats, expensive treats, organic treats - but she does like Greenies, particularly chicken or beef, and oddly enough she likes those little hairball treats.

On the other hand, Dharma is very urgent if ever I make myself a ham or turkey sandwich...she must have had those lunch meats before I adopted her.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're all different. My Forest will eat anything marked "treats" (actually, Forest will eat pretty much anything period
). Tailer will eat many, but not all, kinds. Harvey would never even touch any kind of treats. He'd sniff at them and just look disgusted about it.