Dandruff and Royal Canin?

lochnessmonster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there
My boy Milo has recently started with dandruff which is so easily spotted due to his colour. He and his sister are both eating Royal Canin Urinary SO wet and dry and I guess its only since then I have noticed it.
They both are drinking more but I checked with my vet who said that its normal for them to drink more on this food, the dry especially.
To be honest he isnt the one who needs to eat it but its just so much easier with the two of them and the thought of seperating them at meal times its just unworkable.
Is there a supplement that I could give him to help his skin? My vet says that he is fine on the food with or without a Urinary condition and as its a complete food he shouldnt need anything else.
Any advice is greatfully received.
XXX

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since SO is a RX please ask the vet if a fatty acid supplement like salmon oil would be okay to add

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ She said Milo wasn't the one that needed to be on that diet, that it's only fed to him too as convenience. So it should be fine for him to have a supplement but the other cat would need to be ok'ed through the vet first. I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ She said Milo wasn't the one that needed to be on that diet, that it's only fed to him too as convenience. So it should be fine for him to have a supplement but the other cat would need to be ok'ed through the vet first. I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.
see your not foggy

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if they still make it but I used to use something called Linatone - its liquid vitamins that you squirt on their food.

Charlie and Ling are on RC Urinary too - but I give them Max Cat, Natural Balance, and Iams canned foods with no problems. Neither have dandruff. They mainly have the chicken, lamb, turkey and venison canned foods.

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Salmon Oil on the wet food and I am finding a supplement called Missing Link is awesome as well.
Daisy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lochnessmonster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, I will look into the fish oil supplement. As its Pepsi who actually needs to be on the diet, I guess seperating them and giving Milo a fishy treat now and then wont hurt, even if I will feel guilty!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to ask the vet about Sophie when she goes for her yearly checkup, because i have the same problem with her. Theres a conditioning spray apparantly but i can't find one at pets at home, and although her coat is shiny it feels quite coarse, and theres dandruff type bits on her. Her tummy fur is lovely and soft though?.

I've tried fish in oil and she won't touch it

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it dandruff all over or just near the tail? I ask because my two DSH's developed flaking near their tails, but their overall fur was fine. Turned out humidity was a little low at home, due to the winter - adjusted my humidifier and all was well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lochnessmonster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting about the humidity but its all over his back basically. His belly and tail are not affected.
I think that I will introduce more into his diet as he doesnt need to be on the SO but will have to do it covertly away from his sister!
Thanks for all the relpies guys X