Pining

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went out for the day yesterday and stayed the night at a relatives house. I told Beauty what was going on, and got someone she knows to look after her.

I came back today and I was told Beauty had been pining away ever since I'd gone.

It is possible I'll have to go away during the summer and I don't want her to pine away (she's lost some weight since I went just for the one night, possibly due to pining) while I'm away. Is there anything I could do to make the experience of being away from me less scary?

Geting another cat isn't an option, due to Beauty only getting on with 2 cats, but can't cope with strange cats in her territory, plus her territory is only big enough for her to prowl, not another cat as well.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule

I went out for the day yesterday and stayed the night at a relatives house. I told Beauty what was going on, and got someone she knows to look after her.

I came back today and I was told Beauty had been pining away ever since I'd gone.

It is possible I'll have to go away during the summer and I don't want her to pine away (she's lost some weight since I went just for the one night, possibly due to pining) while I'm away. Is there anything I could do to make the experience of being away from me less scary?

Geting another cat isn't an option, due to Beauty only getting on with 2 cats, but can't cope with strange cats in her territory, plus her territory is only big enough for her to prowl, not another cat as well.
Emma, is there any way you can take her with you? If you are going away to relatives again, will they let you bring her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Emma, is there any way you can take her with you? If you are going away to relatives again, will they let you bring her?
Nope - the relative I went to was also having a guest who's allergic to cats, plus in the summer we may be going to a holiday home, where they don't allow pets.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know most say they won't allow pets, but is there any chance it's a situation where they wouldn't actually know you had her with you? I sneak my cats into hotel rooms whenever we're on roadtrips and nobody has ever known...at least if they did they didn't say anything.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOuld it be possible for you to take her away with you? The last time I went away, both cats got to scik they had to go to the vet and stay overnight.

I have not left them since.

Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't try to take her - the thing cats hate most is moving to strange places (much as they might love you!). One thing did strike me, having had many petsitters over the years, and that is they always say the cats pined for you, it's part of their make-you-feel-good spiel and I wouldn't take it that seriously. If you do go away for any length of time I'd either get a really good pro sitter with references in, or else board the cat at a cattery with nice big rooms, etc. where you know she'll at least be well taken care of and never 'alone'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

I wouldn't try to take her - the thing cats hate most is moving to strange places (much as they might love you!). One thing did strike me, having had many petsitters over the years, and that is they always say the cats pined for you, it's part of their make-you-feel-good spiel and I wouldn't take it that seriously. If you do go away for any length of time I'd either get a really good pro sitter with references in, or else board the cat at a cattery with nice big rooms, etc. where you know she'll at least be well taken care of and never 'alone'.
I can quite believe she was pining though - when I've been about to go out she sometimes gets a little bit upset and when I come back she's desperately watching out for me.

I can try to get some Feliway though and get whoever looks after her to spray it around on Beauty's favourite things.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you don't have to go then. Maybe you can sort of practice going out for a little every day and get her used to your being away some.