Texas....?

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think Texas is a place I wouldn't mind living at one day... so as me and my mom were looking for houses for rent all over the U.S. I found some really nice cheap places in Texas.. except my moms excuse for not wanting to move there is "They don't sell Beer"
Is that True?? Do they not sell Beer in Texas at all or is it just Parts of Texas??

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol As a college student in Texas, they definitely sell beer!

We do have "dry counties" though where the sale of alcohol is not permitted in grocery stores and what not, but I don't think there are that many of them. My hometown back in East Texas is one, and at least one of the neighboring counties. Maybe that's what your mom is thinking about?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vixen16

except my moms excuse for not wanting to move there is "They don't sell Beer"
Is that True?? Do they not sell Beer in Texas at all or is it just Parts of Texas??
well, of course they sell beer here! i think she must've visited a small town that was dry.
if you're anywhere near a major metropolitan area, you can find beer & wine, 'soft' liquors, so to speak, in the grocery stores. the hard stuff, sometimes you have to go to another town, tho.
example: i live in Sanger [small town] beer & wine in the grocery store here, as well as in Denton, the larger town close to me. for hard liquor, i have to go to a little place just outside of Argyle [yet another small town]. so i can travel 5 minutes & get beer, wine, wine coolers, etc. if i travel about 30 minutes [1 way] i can get pretty much anything.
& in restaurants in Denton you can buy anything - you have to be a 'member' of their club, but membership is free, so i'm not sure why it's like that... probably to make the election go thru.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The alcohol laws in Texas are very complicated, and they go by jurisdiction, so you have to know where you are.

We have dry counties, but not many. We have lots of dry jurisdictions. For example, in Dallas county, here in Cedar Hill you can get liquor by the drink, but we don't have any alcohol in the bottle on sale. In Duncanville, right next door, you can buy beer and wine at a store, but not liquor. You can get liquor by the drink, but only if you join the "private club."

But we've always said, "Texas is a great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit there." We've lived here off and on for over 35 years, and it really feels like home to us, more than our home states do.

And the bluebonnets are just coming out!

P.S. Before moving back down here in 1977, we went through a January in Hamburg, PA, in which the sun did not come out for a single minute the whole month, and in which the temperature did not get above freezing for the whole month. We looked at each other, said, "We don't have to live like this!" and packed up and moved back to Texas. Just the difference in taxes was like a 10% raise.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know Canadian county is dry...people I know would always complain it when they had jobs there (oil field).

Texas would be nice if it didn't have that stupid White List passed - along with some other ridiculous laws. Were I to move to Texas I'd have to rehome some of my pets or give up several of them to be euthanized.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I knew you could buy Beer there.. now my mom failed to tell me where she got this info. We've traveled across the US from East to West (and vise versa) many, many times... avoiding Texas along the way.. my mom also called it the "Never Ending State" lol she'd drive through it and that would take her 3 days alone!!

Anyway.. back to the Beer... so my mom failed to tell me she got this info from a "Know it all" friend. I, as mean as it sounds, have learned NEVER to believe what this lady says because we have almost always learned her info was wrong. Now if my mom had said "I dont wanna move there cuz Barb says they dont sell Beer" I would have been like "Dude shes wrong.. i dont believe her at all"... I also didnt believe my mom (hence asking you Texans) but.. still Barbs almost always wrong... I new Texas sold beer
, I always thought Texans were big beer drinkers.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In fact, Texas is a major producer of beer. We have a number of the larger breweries, such as Anheuser Busch, Miller, etc., and a lot of little good breweries. The Spoetzl Brewery, down by San Antonio, makes some pretty good stuff under the Shiner label. Of those, my favorite is Shiner Bock. And hasn't your mother ever heard of "Lone Star Beer?"

http://www.shiner.com/

http://www.lonestarbeer.com/

http://www.pearlbrewery.com/

And a list of Texas breweries:

http://www.beer-lover.com/database/texas.htm

And you didn't think Stevie Ray Vaughn played in front of dry crowds down there in Austin, did you?

Keep in mind that the area from Austin to San Antonio was largely settled by German immigrants, who founded such towns as Boerne ("burney") and Gruene ("green"). They definitely know how to make beer down there.

And we DO have another beer down here that has some funny billboards. It's Ziegen Bock, but now it's owned by one of the big companies. It's only available in Texas. One of my favorite billboards said, "Making fun of puny states since 1836."

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vixen16

I think Texas is a place I wouldn't mind living at one day... so as me and my mom were looking for houses for rent all over the U.S. I found some really nice cheap places in Texas.. except my moms excuse for not wanting to move there is "They don't sell Beer"
Are you kidding? Beer is everywhere.
This is the Lone Star State after all. You can get at the local grocery store or Walmart even. That is too funny that she thinks that.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, actually, you can't get it at stores here in Cedar Hill. Funny how these laws work! But it comes from the agreement to repeal Prohibition. They had to give local entities the right to restrict alcohol in order to get it passed.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Well, actually, you can't get it at stores here in Cedar Hill. Funny how these laws work! But it comes from the agreement to repeal Prohibition. They had to give local entities the right to restrict alcohol in order to get it passed.
Hmmm, did not know that.
Where I am at, you can get it just about anywhere.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your mom's friend is funny! Tell her it is impossible to have Texas BBQ without beer.

If you move to Texas, be prepared for the heat! It feels hotter than the actual temperatures (which are by themselves very hot) because of the humidity. It can be pretty unbearable in summer (or spring, or fall, or winter). Texans make it more bearable by drinking beer.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had another thought... How many pets do you have? Dogs, cats, other? Before moving into a community it would be a very good idea to check and see if they have restrictions on how many pets you can have. Some only allow 2 or 3 of each species or a max number combined - if I'm not mistaken, that includes some towns in Texas.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I had another thought... How many pets do you have? Dogs, cats, other? Before moving into a community it would be a very good idea to check and see if they have restrictions on how many pets you can have. Some only allow 2 or 3 of each species or a max number combined - if I'm not mistaken, that includes some towns in Texas.
I believe such restrictions are only enforced when animal neglect or abuse is suspected and are not unique to Texas.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, no no, I didn't mean only in Texas! That's just where the person was from that was having problems with such laws and was discussing it on a laws and cites section of a pet forum.

These ordinances are not due to neglect or abuse. This is due to AR groups trying to sneak in laws limiting us wherever they can (think HSUS is the main offender?). They're typically enforced whenever someone reports you - ie, your neighbors getting fussy about your barking dogs or cats in their yard.
In any case, better to check then to have your pets taken away later.

Edit: Also be on the look out for BSLs!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Texas would be nice if it didn't have that stupid White List passed - along with some other ridiculous laws. Were I to move to Texas I'd have to rehome some of my pets or give up several of them to be euthanized.
what is this White List of which you speak? i've never heard of it...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

what is this White List of which you speak? i've never heard of it...
It was a bill that passed last year in Texas that upset a lot of reptile and some exotic owners - people made a huge fuss over it and still are. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedi...?req=20070409d

While some may have meant well by it, it was poorly written so at the time it initially passed garter snake, corn snakes (a popular captive bred species), non-native subspecies, and even common mice were banned. It punishes breeders who would actually take the stress off of the species by basically making it illegal to breed -there is some mention that this will be fixed.

Edit: I see I was beat to it while fixing my post

I have 11 ornate box turtles, a native species in Texas (but are not from Texas stock). Because I didn't buy them (they were an oops clutch) I don't have proof of purchase. They're strictly pets and I have no intention to breed or sell them ever - definitely not breeding siblings!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have 11 ornate box turtles, a native species in Texas (but are not from Texas stock). Because I didn't buy them (they were an oops clutch) I don't have proof of purchase. They're strictly pets and I have no intention to breed or sell them ever - definitely not breeding siblings!
According to that news release the animals wouldn't be banned. You would just have to have a license if you have more than 25. You wouldn't be affected would you???

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

According to that news release the animals wouldn't be banned. You would just have to have a license if you have more than 25. You wouldn't be affected would you???
The limit is 6, not 25. Either way, once the white list/black list stuff started DH decided against potentially moving to Texas.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The limit is 6, not 25. Either way, once the white list/black list stuff started DH decided against potentially moving to Texas.
Looks like 25 to me:

Under the proposal, 84 species would be on the new white list, with annual permitting and reporting required for anyone possessing more than 25 specimens in the aggregate of listed animals.
Correction: I found this:

“For any nongame species not on the white list, there will be a possession limit of up to six nongame animals at one time for personal use,” said Matt Wagner, TPWD wildlife diversity program director. “We want kids, for example, to be able to keep a pet turtle or two.”