Is it immoral to eat a dog?

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In Communist China people eats dogs/cats on a regular basis. For me, I would never personally eat the family pet!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I can't eat cattle, chickens, or pigs that are pets, so I couldn't eat dog or cat, but I would not say it's immoral to do it.
altho i do eat meat, not planning on branching out to dogs & cats.
& i don't think they eat their pets - i think the dogs & cats are viewed as food animals, like cattle, chicken, pigs, etc. are here.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

& i don't think they eat their pets - i think the dogs & cats are viewed as food animals, like cattle, chicken, pigs, etc. are here.
Purebreds are more typically kept as strictly pets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Purebreds are more typically kept as strictly pets.
People can afford purebreeds in China??

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something raised as food is not a pet or a family member.

I wouldn't eat a pet dog... or a pet pig.

But a dog or pig raised to be food? Sure.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, each country has their own thing. Before i gave up red meat, i tried kangaroo. That was the one and only time. And i don't know what put me off more, the foul taste or the fact that they are cute and interact with us at Tristans house *sighs* I also make Tristan promise to tell me if his mother is cooking with a store bought chicken, or one of their own. If it's one of their own, i won't have it. I've been through 3 cycles of watching them hatch and grow now, and i love them all!

I think even if i was the most carnivorous of carnivores, i could NEVER eat a dog or cat, domesticated or wild.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe it is immoral and unethical. Not to mention just crappy all around. It makes me sick to even think about someone else doing that and is like a dagger in my heart as I lovingly look at the dogs on each side of me on the couch. I believe that speaks volumes about the person and their value on any life and relationship other than human. So is *anything* fair game to them to eat except a human? Just sick, sick, sick. I also know they keep them in small cages and generally don't treat them with dignity, this is in general, collective, as a society. I know there is an upper class and other classes, I know everyone is an individual. In my International class I learned there is a big market for them to consume some of the world's endangered species, tigers, turtles, and other important animals, it is all medicine or meat to them. No value as a life, just value as what is in it for them to consume.

A dog can be a man's best friend, a dog can lead the blind, a dog can sniff out a child lost in the woods, a dog can lower blood pressure and bring companionship to those who are lonely, a dog can protect your home, a dog can keep you warm at night, a dog is not a food item. EVER. I feel very passionate about this and it makes me very upset.

I don't eat cow or pig either. I do eat fish and bird sometimes, fish more so than anything else.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's no more or less immoral than eating any other living being with the capability to suffer and interest in living. I hate it when people are illogical about these things. You can't judge an animals right to life and happiness by how sympathetic it is.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ryn

It's no more or less immoral than eating any other living being with the capability to suffer and interest in living. I hate it when people are illogical about these things. You can't judge an animals right to life and happiness by how sympathetic it is.
Hum, so you would eat your cats? How would you feel if someone did eat your cats, maybe you placed the cats with them for some reason and one day they decided to eat them, it was just part of their culture. How would you feel if it was the norm for those around you to eat their cats and dogs for dinner?

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Hum, so you would eat your cats? How would you feel if someone from China did eat your cats while you were away one day? How would you feel if it was the norm for those around you to eat their cats and dogs for dinner?
i agree with you. the reason people eat meat, is because of how they are brought up, where there from etc. i think it's wrong to eat cat's/dog's/horse's, but that's because i was brought up that way. just like people from different place's, they probably think it's wrong to eat chicken.

i don't like the fact that animal's are killed, so that we can get meat. that's just how life is though. whenever i hear cat's getting killed for meat, it make's me sooo angry!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xLaydeexTaniax

i agree with you. the reason people eat meat, is because of how they are brought up, where there from etc. i think it's wrong to eat cat's/dog's/horse's, but that's because i was brought up that way. just like people from different place's, they probably think it's wrong to eat chicken.
exactly. in India, it's immoral [by custom] to eat cattle. immoral is a belief, not a fact. i feel it's immoral to have sex w/someone outside of marriage. that's a part of my belief system.
the OP didn't ask whether it was immoral to eat an animal with whom you've formed a bond. for me, that would be an issue. & the culture in which i was raised doesn't view cat/dog consumption as the norm. China does, however. unless one belongs to a religion that states what immorality/sin is, then one's view of immorality is almost always culturally based.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

exactly. in India, it's immoral [by custom] to eat cattle. immoral is a belief, not a fact. i feel it's immoral to have sex w/someone outside of marriage. that's a part of my belief system.
the OP didn't ask whether it was immoral to eat an animal with whom you've formed a bond. for me, that would be an issue. & the culture in which i was raised doesn't view cat/dog consumption as the norm. China does, however. unless one belongs to a religion that states what immorality/sin is, then one's view of immorality is almost always culturally based.
very well said! at the end of the day, everyone's different.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is it immoral no.
I never saw any of that when i was living there.
i did see dogs lined up in nam and korea, i had to leave the area before i lost my cool.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Hum, so you would eat your cats? How would you feel if someone did eat your cats, maybe you placed the cats with them for some reason and one day they decided to eat them, it was just part of their culture. How would you feel if it was the norm for those around you to eat their cats and dogs for dinner?
Well, I'm vegan and I've formed a personal bond with my cats so, for these two reasons the answer to your first question is no. However, I fail to see the fundamental difference in eating a pig and eating a dog or a cat. The only difference in eating a farmed pig and a pet dog is the mental suffering it causes the pet dog's owners. From the animals point of view there is no difference, if the treatment is the same (and I do know food dogs are treated appallingly, we're discussing a theoretical issue here).

I understand you find eating dog or cats immoral, but I hope you realise it has nothing to do with the actual facts about the animal and everything to do with your personal feelings, which is fine as long as you know it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ryn

However, I fail to see the fundamental difference in eating a pig and eating a dog or a cat.
I don't see the difference either.

I personally would not eat a cat or dog, I don't eat any other animals either but I don't feel it's imorral for those in others countries to do so.

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I can't eat cattle, chickens, or pigs that are pets, so I couldn't eat dog or cat, but I would not say it's immoral to do it.
I'm the same way. My cousin raises pigs to show at the fair every year and when he's done with them they slaughter them and eat them. I can't ever do it. Everytime I go over there and they are making some kind of pork I always have to ask if it had a name or if it came from the store. I tried it once and almost puked. That's just me, though, I don't have anything against others who do it.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's immoral. It's meat, it's food.

Now would I eat my own cats? No but I wouldn't eat my own cows if I had any either. But that's not going to stop me from eating a steak.