I've outsmarted myself!

ruthiesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need a little help. I took Ruth to the vet today for her third UTI in five years. Luckily I caught it early and I really don't expect any problems with her recovery. Since pilling her always turns into a wrestling match, I asked the Dr for liquid meds this time. They always works well for Kittybear if I mix with a little plain yogurt. Wouldn't you know it? Ruth doesn't like it/won't eat it? Does anyone have any tips for giving her the liquid without both of us getting an antibiotic shower? Thanks for your help!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco used to take that but it makes her Sick. Meeko had Clavamox in Jan and she is the worse Cat to give Meds too. I hope you get it down her. I did get it down Meeko but she did fight me. Good Luck

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I forgot to say I think its Easier to give liquids then Pills.
not me! i much prefer pills. last time they gave me meds for Pixel, i got liquids, 'cause she's a PITA to pill... but the liquids were worse! i took back the 2nd unreconstituted liquid & got pills.
this was also Clavamox.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Coco hides pills and spits them out when you arent looking. I think it depends on the Cat. My Sister tried to give Coco her Meds last night and she got it all over her face. I am used to giving Meds though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthiesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ruth is a hider/spitter when it comes to pills, so I was hoping I could avoid all that with the liquid. I'll let you know how it goes.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RuthiesMom

Ruth is a hider/spitter when it comes to pills, so I was hoping I could avoid all that with the liquid. I'll let you know how it goes.
Pixel, too, but she spits both liquids & pills. at least i can usually retrieve the pill & try again!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squat behind the cat, scuff, and lightly lift so that her head is tilted a little, slowly squirt the medicine in her mouth from one side - about half a dropper or so at a time. Immediately follow up with treats or wet food, hopefully she'll learn that the medicine will be followed by something nice and she'll stop fighting so much.

I had a cat that I had to give liquid antibiotics to recently, after a few days all I had to do was lightly hold and turn her head and she would swallow the meds right down - because she knew she would get her wet food after.

ruthiesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a quick little update on Ruth vs liquid meds. Last night was kind of messy, but this morning was much better.
She's not happy about taking her medicine, but she took it. Of course, I did have some treats waiting for her!
Don't know if the Clavamox is working yet. I expect I'll be able to tell better tomorrow.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i had to use a syringe and shoot the drugs in chloes mouth REALLY fast. it was banana flavored amoxicillin and she HATED it so much that every time i opened the fridge she hid lol. then she would spit it all over me and id find clothes that had yellow foam stains on them *sigh*
the pills were much harder for us; they were a 2 person job. we really needed a 3rd to pry and hold her mouth open.
i think id blocked out these memories until i read this thread. god i hope i never have to give antibiotics again hahahaha

ruthiesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's amazing how much these kitties can move if they really have to!
After 4 doses, I think we are both getting the hang of this.
The good news is, I think this stuff is working. At least she's more like her old self. She's even been terrorizing Kittybear! Thanks for all of your support.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she is getting better. I have had sucess giving liquid meds mixed in a teaspoon of chicken baby food (no onions) right before their meal. That way they are hungry and will snarf down the spiked baby food. Best when their appetite is not affected from being sick. Hope she continues to improve!

ruthiesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ruth is now back on Clavamox for the next two weeks. Her vet also prescribed Metacam for 4 days. You guess it, her UTI is back. My husband noticed yesterday that she was licking herself after using the litterbox. Then, today after I got home from work, I was cleaning the litter box and Ruth jumped in. I knew that straining look. So after a quick phone call, we were back in the car on our way to the "stabby place." An ultrasound showed her bladder was empty, so no urine test was done. She was given sub-q fluids and sent home with her meds. At her last vist, the vet suggested we stop feeding her anything with fish in it. For the last two weeks, she's had nothing with fish, both in her 1/4 can per day of canned food and her free feeding dry food. Ruth and Kittybear have been fine with the switch. Is there anything else I should consider feeding her? Bear in mind that she and Kittybear share the dry food. Thanks for listening.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I swear by pill pockets. Bijou and Mika both took their Drontil pills with the pill pockets. Of course they both love treats and the pill pockets looked like treats to them. We cut eat pill into 2 pieces, hid the pieces in the pill pockets and let them pig out on them. It was magic.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
forgive me if you've checked this, but... have you read the food labels very carefully? i ask, because i try to limit Chip's fish intake, too - & i find it extremely hard to find foods w/no fish whatever other than the specialty ones - NB green pea & duck dry, etc. & even their canned has salmon oil
i read every can of Authority - they all had fish except for the lamb one. so that's what i get, can-wise.

ruthiesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

forgive me if you've checked this, but... have you read the food labels very carefully? i ask, because i try to limit Chip's fish intake, too - & i find it extremely hard to find foods w/no fish whatever other than the specialty ones - NB green pea & duck dry, etc. & even their canned has salmon oil
i read every can of Authority - they all had fish except for the lamb one. so that's what i get, can-wise.
That's something I haven't thought of! I guess I'm way too trusting. Thanks for the hint and I'll be more vigilant in the future.

ruthiesmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To update a bit.... Ruth had a setback about a week ago, so back to the vet we went. This time, the vet drew blood. It all came back fine. I had to collect a urine specimen. To my shock, there was quite a bit of blood in the urine.
He sent that out and it came back with protein in the urine. Also struvite crystals. He had them do a protein-to-creatinine-ratio. Normal is <0.5 and hers came back 1.1. We're on Science Diet RD now both wet and dry. The girls don't like the wet, but love the dry. Since the vet is worried there might be kidney issues, we're going back in a couple weeks for follow up lab work. Ruth seems her old self now, so I'm not too worried - just concerned. I'll keep you posted.

jackieg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As to giving pills - PetSmart sells this piller thing. It's a long (maybe 8 inch) plastic tube with space for the pill on one end and a plunger on the other end. You put the pill in the tube, scruff the cat, put the pill end in her mouth, then push the plunger. I thought these were silly until I got bitten pilling one of my cats and now I love them. They only cost a few dollars and make it much easier to get a pill into a cat!