Well it's time for me to quit

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drinking pop that is. It's really bothering my stomach. I have been drinking diet soda because it seemed less harsh on me than regular, but even diet is taking it's toll now.
I'll miss you Dr. Pepper.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Drinking pop that is. It's really bothering my stomach. I have been drinking diet soda because it seemed less harsh on me than regular, but even diet is taking it's toll now.
Down here in Texas you can buy Dr. Pepper made with real cane sugar (extra cost.) In the U.S., virtually all soda pop is made with corn syrup, not sugar. That's why a Coke made in different countries taste so much better, they are made with sugar. I usually buy Mexican soda pop, which is always made with pure cane sugar. I don't know if that would be better for your tummy, but you might give it a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Down here in Texas you can buy Dr. Pepper made with real cane sugar (extra cost.) In the U.S., virtually all soda pop is made with corn syrup, not sugar. That's why a Coke made in different countries taste so much better, they are made with sugar. I usually buy Mexican soda pop, which is always made with pure cane sugar. I don't know if that would be better for your tummy, but you might give it a try.
Hmmm, thanks for the idea.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cut them out and feel better. And yes, Diet Coke in Spain tastes different. But, you know, that sugar refinery where my late Dad worked made all that corn syrup. I won a corporate scholarship from them.

So, buy more Mazola, Best Foods/Hellman's mayonnaise, Karo Corn syrup etc. from them. You can give up the diet soda, though

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm now into my 9 month without soda. It gets easier as time goes on, but there are times I miss the taste of a newly opened Coke.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i completly stopped drinking soft drinks over 10 years ago and i do NOT miss them!
You don't realize how crappy they make you feel and how nasty they are for you until you get all that crud completly out of your system. You'll feel soo much better when you stop drinking them

Dr Pepper was my addiction when i quit drinking carbonated drinks. I went through about a month of soft drink withdrawl
BUT i got through it and am that much healthier for it!
Take the time to read the back of a soda can sometime to realize just how many empty calories and yucky things your putting in your body- that helps
(And weird as it may sound, i still remember what coke and dr pepper taste like even though it's been 10 years!)

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really need to stop drinking Pepsi... I drink waaaaaayyyy too much and it is affecting my stomach. I agree with trying the Mexican Coca Cola though, they sell it at our local Kroger's and it's really very good!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I really need to stop drinking Pepsi... I drink waaaaaayyyy too much and it is affecting my stomach. I agree with trying the Mexican Coca Cola though, they sell it at our local Kroger's and it's really very good!
Pepsi is a big no-no for me. The high acid content is heck on my stomach. Just a few sips cause pain and major heartburn.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
could it be the cafeeine?
i know you can get caffeeine free stuff.. just an idea?
i couldnt live without my pop....
or alchopops hehe

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty much stopped drinking pop about 3 weeks ago. I feel a lot better but I have been getting a lot of headaches since then.

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped drinking soft drinks when I was 15...and havent wanted one since...I feel quite a bit better without them
I go through about 48 bottles of water a week though
Id drink tap water but here it is terrible!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
luvmycat1 - You smoke too, don't you?

There is a little flap at the top of your stomach, both nicotine and caffeine numb this. When that happens it cannot keep the contents of your stomach in your stomach as well as it's supposed to.
Anyone ever lean over after drinking a pop and had it come back up? Not fun...

So for those that have heartburn problems, just cutting out caffeine may not help. If you smoke you may have to give that up too. Fatty foods also keep food in your stomach for longer, which could irritate things.

I still drink a little pop now and then (when eating at a restaurant since other towns tap water tastes weird). But pretty much gave it up cold turkey. No withdrawal or caffeine headaches. I thought the caffeine might have been adding to my tachycardia problem but it wasn't, so giving it up for that didn't help me any.

Originally Posted by Brandi

I go through about 48 bottles of water a week though
Id drink tap water but here it is terrible!!
That's about a 4 day supply for me.
Bottled water can get expensive, have you considered getting a good filter?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

luvmycat1 - You smoke too, don't you?

There is a little flap at the top of your stomach, both nicotine and caffeine numb this. When that happens it cannot keep the contents of your stomach in your stomach as well as it's supposed to.
Anyone ever lean over after drinking a pop and had it come back up? Not fun...

So for those that have heartburn problems, just cutting out caffeine may not help. If you smoke you may have to give that up too. Fatty foods also keep food in your stomach for longer, which could irritate things.
Yeah, unfortunately I smoke. I knew it didn't help matters but I didn't know it was because it numbed a flap. Yes, I've had stuff come up on me while bending over. YUCK I think it's more the carbination in pop that bothers me and not the caffeine. Caffeine free sodas bug me too. It shouldn't be hard to stop because I don't even really want soda, it's bothering me that bad.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats great - my hubby has given up soda as well. I don't care for it myself as I only drink water and coffee and tea.

Good luck with this!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, unfortunately I smoke. I knew it didn't help matters but I didn't know it was because it numbed a flap. Yes, I've had stuff come up on me while bending over. YUCK I think it's more the carbination in pop that bothers me and not the caffeine. Caffeine free sodas bug me too. It shouldn't be hard to stop because I don't even really want soda, it's bothering me that bad.
Sounds like a little bit of everything. Try some Prilosec for a couple weeks and either cut down on the pop and/or smoking, or choose what you want to give up. Avoid aggravating foods - spicy, onions, greasy/fatty, and drink more water if you can. That should settle your stomach and heartburn down, providing you with some relief.

Good luck!

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something else that is absolutely incredible for heartburn is Protonix I have GERDS and since I have been on Protonix I can eat pretty much whatever I want which is great...I can drink orange juice something I havent been able to drink in years!! It is expensive if you dont have insurance though about 130 without insurance but very well worth it...most doctors will give you a months worth of samples for it.

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

your doing better than i ever would! i could never give up fizzy pop, otherwise i wouldn't drink!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

Something else that is absolutely incredible for heartburn is Protonix I have GERDS and since I have been on Protonix I can eat pretty much whatever I want which is great...I can drink orange juice something I havent been able to drink in years!! It is expensive if you dont have insurance though about 130 without insurance but very well worth it...most doctors will give you a months worth of samples for it.
I took Protonix for awhile last year and was doing good. Now all my stomach trouble is back. It doesn't help that I have anxiety either.