HELP given kitten a pill

jocee82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to get my 5 month old kitten her ringworm pill. Its called Drontal. Can I crush it in her food?

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zoey had a deworming pill once...not sure which one. I was specifically told not to crush it up in food, as it has a very bitter taste.

This is how we've done it: If your kitten is a fighter, see if you can get someone to help you. Wrap him/her in a towel and hold her. The other can tilt the head back (jaw should go slack), open the mouth, and put the pill as far back in the mouth you can get it (careful not to get bitten). Then close her mouth and hold it closed until she swallows. Then, try again, because she'll likely spit it out.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ill also add to above if you rub on her throat after youve placed it in the back of the mouth it gets the gag reflexes to swollow

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drontal is an all-purpose wormer for cats (ringworm is not a worm but a fungus)and tastes nasty. The pill is also quite large. You might find it easier with a kitten to break the pill in two pieces as it will be much easier for her to swallow. Some cats are much easier to pill than others, some fight it all their lives. Every owner has to find the best way for their cat. As a last resort with some medicines you can crush the pill into a powder, add it to some catmilk or water and give it by syringe. But most cats will avoid medicines if mixed into their food.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this will apply in your situation. The vet gave my kittens a liquid wormer. They said it was ok to mix in their food. I used baby food. Might be worth asking.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jocee82

I have to get my 5 month old kitten her ringworm pill. Its called Drontal. Can I crush it in her food?
Um, Drontal is a dewormer. Ringworm is not a worm nor is it treated with Drontal. Drontal is for tapeworm.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i also butter the pill, to make it go down more easily...
& you might want to invest in a pill popper - that sometimes makes it easier.